Any information on the use of a drone for locating deer and there routes?

I manage a 130 acre fenced in property and we have a crew that patrols the perimeter 5 days a week to see if the deer have punched through or found a spot where a tree or limb has taken the fence down. The deer are smarter than my grounds crew though and in spite the fact that deer are creatures of habit and follow the same path at nearly the same time and same place every day...my guys still haven't caught on. The P4P is helpful in scouting and cuts down the time on patrolling as long as I can spot the deer and get the guys there in time to open a gate and steer the deer back out. But this only works when there's no foliate on the trees and the brush is low in the winter. Easy to pick out in the snow though. But this is just with the cam. Now if I added body head sensors for several thousand dollars more I could do better spotting...cost benefit thing.
Haven't tried object tracking yet but all a deer would have to do is pass under a tree and the camera would loose the track.

A
That's not hunting, that's managing. I would think that would be fine everywhere. The laws that exist usually point to finding deer to shoot them at the time, or using the drone to drive the deer. There are some laws that point to harassment of the animals, but at altitude that should not apply either.

Exactly. The kill for sport thing sucks too.

Responsible hunting keeps populations healthy. Most hunters are the most fervent and responsible environmentalists you will find, and the meat from wildlife is much more humane than slaughterhouse farm killing, and much goes to poor families.

Also, deer meat is very lean and healthy protein, great meat for a lower fat diet.

Responsible hunting keeps populations healthy. Most hunters are the most fervent and responsible environmentalists you will find, and the meat from wildlife is much more humane than slaughterhouse farm killing, and much goes to poor families.

Also, deer meat is very lean and healthy protein, great meat for a lower fat diet.
What does this have to do with sport hunting?.

Most hunters are *REAL* hunters... Ie, they hunt and get what is available.

Someone wanting to use a drone to "cherry pick" what size horn buck there is to get is basically cheating. They don't want to hunt for the sake of hunting, they are hunting for bragging rights...

Sitting in a stand freezing your a** off is part of the "experience"... If you want to cheat, don't hunt.

If you go out and don't get a deer, or get only a small one, so be it...

But, to try to pick out which one you want and then gun for only that one is cheating.

Then again, I also live in Wisconsin and this state is full of scum-bag cheaters that want to figure out any way to screw someone else for their own greed.

Talking about using drones for hunting fits right into that idiot mentality.

I lived in VT for 15 years and every year the news would have a story about Fish & Wildlife setting out moveable bucks in the field and how they would capture some a-whole pulling over with his pickup truck and with headlights on shoot at it. One year they actually had the guy recorded saying WTF I hit that three times and its still standing! Sort of like the same news story every year about the first guy on the lake for ice fishing not checking the thickness and all you see is the back end of a Ford bobbing up and down....

What does this have to do with sport hunting?.

There is much overlap, I had a deer head mounted this year, and half of the meat is still in my freezer to provide healthy meat for my family. You obviously have little understanding of the sport of hunting. Maybe you should give it a try. Turkeys are is season now and wild turkey meat is especially delicious.

Reactions: dirkclod
There is much overlap, I had a deer head mounted this year, and half of the meat is still in my freezer to provide healthy meat for my family. You obviously have little understanding of the sport of hunting. Maybe you should give it a try. Turkeys are is season now and wild turkey meat is especially delicious.
I understand the sport of hunting for some. . I just don't go kill things for fun. I understand if the hunt is for a food source. I go to the grocery store for food but I don't consider that a sport. If I had to hunt for my food, I would do it. But to me, it wouldn't be a sport that I would enjoy.

I understand the sport of hunting for some. . I just don't go kill things for fun. I understand if the hunt is for a food source. I go to the grocery store for food but I don't consider that a sport. If I had to hunt for my food, I would do it. But to me, it wouldn't be a sport that I would enjoy.

It's not for everyone, but just like drone flying it takes a while and a lot of objective research to have a sound understanding to make judgements of others motivations. I enjoy hunting and it helps manage the deer overpopulation in my state (which is real high now). I eat what I kill, and the deer have a really good chance of escaping me, unlike the supermarket beef or chicken. I froze my butt of for 3 mornings to get that buck.:confused:
Each to his own.:)

Antelopes are back,,but way too windy to fly,,snapped some shots with my Nikon,,
261b18abdb6d7c735b36e2eaca8c5d15.jpg
9ad7bfd72d9f8ade7b310478651b07ce.jpg
3d58e60d480b4bcca90a88ad7e2db7d2.jpg

Maybe in the morning,,,
Good day,,

It's unethical to hunt or scout with help of a drone..I've been deer hunting since 1978 and I own a P3P since 2015. I wouldn't use it to enhance my chance to kill a deer. just do the leg work and get it there.

It's unethical to hunt or scout with help of a drone..I've been deer hunting since 1978 and I own a P3P since 2015. I wouldn't use it to enhance my chance to kill a deer. just do the leg work and get it there.
I know it's unethical, I have no intention of using it for trying to kill a deer. I shoot 4-5 every year with my bow. I was just curious what everyone would say. I am going to use it for aerial photography of the lands I hunt.

Reactions: Davidnclearlaketx
If you need a drone to hunt deer, maybe you shouldn't be hunting. How much of an advantage do you need to kill the poor animals?

I live on ten acres at the end of the road with thousans of acres around me. We have at least five bear in the area and several mountain lions. Fish and Game tell us there are 6000 lions in southern Oregon. Each one takes a deer a week. I have thirty deer wthin a half mile most of the time. I can and have hunted. But I prefer to keep them there for dinner on the hoof should society collapse. I also allow some friends to hunt who can use the meat. We know there are many more deer with human occupation than before. They even walk boldly right through town. A mountain lion was shot in an expensive development which had been coming into town for a couple of years. The police shot it as it was assumed it was in poor health and a real threat. I have had them kill game on my driveway. But I am out of town.

I live on ten acres at the end of the road with thousans of acres around me. We have at least five bear in the area and several mountain lions. Fish and Game tell us there are 6000 lions in southern Oregon. Each one takes a deer a week. I have thirty deer wthin a half mile most of the time. I can and have hunted. But I prefer to keep them there for dinner on the hoof should society collapse. I also allow some friends to hunt who can use the meat. We know there are many more deer with human occupation than before. They even walk boldly right through town. A mountain lion was shot in an expensive development which had been coming into town for a couple of years. The police shot it as it was assumed it was in poor health and a real threat. I have had them kill game on my driveway. But I am out of town.

Not sure of your point?

I often have flown over my very rough forest country. I have owned my property there 47 years and know all the trails. But it is very helpful to see from above how they connect. I have used Google Earth for this. But it is better with the drone. I might point out that bears go pretty much wherever they like. They don't like people. Don't ever leave food garbage out. Big cats and deer have their own trails mapped upon the terrain to make their travel easy. For instance, when changing valleys they don't climb the steep walls but move up to the ridge and walk down to the head of the next ridge. So a drone can be effective in locating these places. Often these trails follow the rural road ten feet off because it is the best route over the terrain. It is interesting to know they are going back and forth a few feet from sight.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

It is unethical to spear fish at night using a 5 million gigawatt spot light. The Indians seem to be sleeping quite well at night.

I've been hunting for too many years and I routinely "scout" anything that comes on my property using a variety of tools including my Advanced. Don't tell anybody but last year I killed a deer using a scope and a range finder.

Last edited:
Can you hunt with a drone legally?

No, it is illegal in Wisconsin. You can read the information yourself HERE
Specifically, page 16...
Use of Devices: It is illegal to: • hunt any animal with the aid of any aircraft, including unmanned aircraft or drones

I suggest everyone check their State DNR rules and law on the books. There have been many changes to the laws in the past year.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers