Another P4 takes a bath

Agreed to all the above data. Didn't get a chance yesterday to look in detail, but did today. Can't see this being an RC issue either. Just throttled down over the water with forward elevator.......splash....

well it looks like my controller must be messed up
Another thought on this.You don't suppose the USB cable disconnected do you? That might be the cause of the disconnected message, and in the heat of the moment, you reversed the sticks in your head. Your first instinct might be to climb and bring the AC back to you. The data shows the opposite, commanding decent and fwd elevator. You didn't say what device you were using so just a thought.

ALT vs Sig.png
One last thing. 700ft Altitude? Really? Not meaning to preach but wow. The other data shows the same as previous.

Another thought on this.You don't suppose the USB cable disconnected do you? That might be the cause of the disconnected message, and in the heat of the moment, you reversed the sticks in your head. Your first instinct might be to climb and bring the AC back to you. The data shows the opposite, commanding decent and fwd elevator. You didn't say what device you were using so just a thought.

If the cable had disconnected then the txt log would be incomplete.

If the cable had disconnected then the txt log would be incomplete.
Correct. What was I thinking.....:oops::oops: I wasn't I suppose...

I was thinking the same thing.. If the USB cable disconnected from the controller or the tablet (phone) while he was showing it to the spectators, then his screen would have gone blank.. leading him (or me) to think there was a disconnect.. When actually it was just unplugged (so to speak).. Just a thought, throwing that out there as a possibility.. I could be wrong, have been before..

well thanks for the input . looks like i really screwed up somehow . i hope statefarm comes trhough . if so i may buy another p4 since they've come down so much in price . this bird did all i needed and i'll have tons of extra stuff . best place to buy a p4 now?

I was thinking the same thing.. If the USB cable disconnected from the controller or the tablet (phone) while he was showing it to the spectators, then his screen would have gone blank.. leading him (or me) to think there was a disconnect.. When actually it was just unplugged (so to speak).. Just a thought, throwing that out there as a possibility.. I could be wrong, have been before..

As I mentioned above - that is not the explanation because it would have interrupted the log on the mobile device.

Just a thought, throwing that out there as a possibility.. I could be wrong, have been before..
That was pointed out and I knew better than to mention that but did anyway.....

o did see a phantom 4 with three batteries and charging hub for $910 . and have seen other with just one battery for $798 . seems and no brainer to get one with the extra batteries since i have 2 now i would have 5 total . if statefarm pays me the 1200+ i will have a few hundred left over

View attachment 102226 One last thing. 700ft Altitude? Really? Not meaning to preach but wow. The other data shows the same as previous.
the altitude is explained because i'm flying in the mountains . the peak next to the lake here is 2000' so from take off a few hundred feet to the north the mountain climbs rapidly then coming back over toward the lake the elevation drops again . I do know now that what my story was about the incident was correct except that while i was distracted with the mom and kid i must have inadvertently held the elevator down and lost my mind never seeing the drone hit the water even on the screen . at that point just seeing aircraft disconnect . which lead me to believe something else was going on when in fact the drone was sinking . it sucks and have never had this brain fart before . but i bow to the flight logs . after 199 flight i screwed up on flight 200 . it was getting dark and just got the last peak of sunlight ,when this all happened . had adjusted the camera setting so i could see the screen . it really sucks as my bird though I've had a couple glitches during the 200 flights was a solid drone . now i will take a gamble on another one and hope it's as good as this one was .

the peak next to the lake here is 2000' so from take off a few hundred feet to the north the mountain climbs rapidly then coming back over toward the lake the elevation drops again .
I understand that, however the altitude is based on AGL from the takeoff point. According to GE data, your launch point was approximatey 6 to 10ft below the point in which the aircraft was lost. The lake in this instance would be considered basically ground level. Had you been attempting to lets say climb to the top of a mountain from that point, as long as you were 400ft from the ground level on said mountain your description would be correct and the actual altitude would be fine. This was not the case here. That said, hope you get back on the flying trail again.

I understand that, however the altitude is based on AGL from the takeoff point. According to GE data, your launch point was approximatey 6 to 10ft below the point in which the aircraft was lost. The lake in this instance would be considered basically ground level. Had you been attempting to lets say climb to the top of a mountain from that point, as long as you were 400ft from the ground level on said mountain your description would be correct and the actual altitude would be fine. This was not the case here. That said, hope you get back on the flying trail again.
I was 600'away from where the drone hit the surface on the lake . I may have fudged the alt some going as high as 1000' but like i said in a mountainous area and close enough to the mountain that no aircraft fly And it was a hobby flight not part of 107 . with the peaks at 2000' ++ i have no problem running up in alt. either way drone is gone and that's what really sucks the altitude had nothing to do with the crash and was not in an area where it mattered

And it was a hobby flight not part of 107 .
Agreed, Part 107 has nothing to do with it. As a recreational hobbyist and following the "Guidelines" ( Note, I did not say laws or regulations )
the 400ft "Guideline" per Section 336 is still there regardless of where you fly in the US. That was my point. But regardless of that fact, it is still painful to lose an aircraft. ( Granted, I have been very careful, and lucky at times ) to not experience this. Close a few times yes. I was just pointing out that just because you fly in a remote mountainous area, does not mean that you are free to fly at will. The distance from where you were to the point the AC hit the water is completely irrelevant to the 400ft ALT guideline.

The distance from where you were to the point the AC hit the water is completely irrelevant to the 400ft ALT guideline.
I agree and for the most part follow the FAA guidelines . in this area i feel a little more lee way because of the terrain . I have in the past followed the mountain up to max limit of i believe 1640 but this was following the terrain up the mountain . where i am now i've gone as high as 1000' just to get that sunset picture behind the mountain . even though i was no where near the top of the peak . so i do follow the guidlines most of the time and when i don't which is not very often and only in this area, it's because i use good judgment and know that there are no aircraft anywhere close to where i'm flying . though there have been the occasional powered hangglider flying around but not when i'm flying . now what drone do i get to replace my p4 ? thinking another p4 since i was happy with it and have plenty of p4 accessories and extra batteries

now what drone do i get to replace my p4 ? thinking another p4 since i was happy with it and have plenty of p4 accessories and extra batteries
That is a good question. Personally I am staying away from the P4 line, simply due to all the issues that they seem to be having. These were never there with the P3 series. Specifically the battery issues, but that is for another topic. It's personal preference really, so can't really advise you farther than that. I have considered upgrading, but my P3A flies so flawlessly, I can't see a reason to do so. ( Knock on wood ).

Keep us advised of your status with Allstate. I have them to insure my drone just for an event such as this as I live on a lake and fly over the water all the time hopefully I never experience a loss but I would be curious how the claims process with Allstate work thank you

That is a good question. Personally I am staying away from the P4 line, simply due to all the issues that they seem to be having. These were never there with the P3 series. Specifically the battery issues, but that is for another topic. It's personal preference really, so can't really advise you farther than that. I have considered upgrading, but my P3A flies so flawlessly, I can't see a reason to do so. ( Knock on wood ).
You just have to love the P3's cant fly mine enough!

Keep us advised of your status with Allstate. I have them to insure my drone just for an event such as this as I live on a lake and fly over the water all the time hopefully I never experience a loss but I would be curious how the claims process with Allstate work thank you
State Farm not allstate . and it took 3 whole days and they approved the claim and the next day $1349 was deposited in my account . the Claims gal very nice and said this has happened before and when and if i get a new drone to be sure and call the office to get the new one insured . very happy and very worth the $60 a year

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart