Another Newbie With Basic Questions...

Reaction score
Hello all and thanks for any help...

I recently purchased a previously owned Phantom 2. I know it's outdated but I like it a lot and hope to learn the ropes with it and then move on to a bigger and better model.

I'm finding out there is a lot to learn and I want to start by making sure it has all the firmware updates and is calibrated correctly.

My questions are... What files should I download from the DJI site and what order should I run them. I have downloaded files from the DJI site and even though I connected the PC to the transmitter the on-screen sticks did not move in relation to movement of my controller sticks. It was like I had no connection, although the 'USB beep' happened when I plugged the controller in.

In the meantime what does it mean when you get 3 beeps when you first turn the transmitter on? I think I read that 2 beeps means it's in GPS mode but I get 3 beeps.

I want to make sure it's updated and airworthy. Right now I don't even know what mode I'm in. (Meaning GPS or ATTI or NAZA, not mode 1 or 2) Any help will be very much appreciated. The seller was not sure of the answers. I think someone else set it up for him and he just flew it. Outdated or not this thing is awesome! Thanks!!!

First go to DJI website and fond the Phantom you have and do to its download section. Download the windows driver the assistant software and the RC software and be sure to download the user manual. Start with the manual then go to you tube and search on phantom2 videos. Check out as many as you are comfortable with. Especially the course lock home lock, assistant software, upgrading firmware and info about the battery. How to's on flying would be good too.

Thanks RoyVa!
I already downloaded and printed the manual and I have watched lots of YouTube vids. But your advice is excellent and I will finish reading the manuals and watch more YT vids.

Agree with RoyVa, read and re-read the manual, and act like a sponge and soak in all of the videos you can. I did all that even before I got my P2 2 months ago. And I'm STILL learning. A few more suggestions that I've learned...

1. Don't try to learn too fast, take your time. Nothing like crashing your P2 by doing things too quickly

2. Take some time to go through the forums here, you will learn a LOT.

3. Hold on to your wallet! You're going to get sucked into this and going to want to start adding and modding and all that.... it's getting to be really fun for me, and my 8 year old son is loving it too...

Have fun, and don't be afraid to ask questions!!

Agree with RoyVa, read and re-read the manual, and act like a sponge and soak in all of the videos you can. I did all that even before I got my P2 2 months ago. And I'm STILL learning. A few more suggestions that I've learned...

1. Don't try to learn too fast, take your time. Nothing like crashing your P2 by doing things too quickly

2. Take some time to go through the forums here, you will learn a LOT.

3. Hold on to your wallet! You're going to get sucked into this and going to want to start adding and modding and all that.... it's getting to be really fun for me, and my 8 year old son is loving it too...

Have fun, and don't be afraid to ask questions!!

Well did you get the replacement today?

I printed out the manual and have gotten to step 7 which is installing the firmware as I mentioned in my previous post. I have spent literally hours trying to figure out why the PC or the DJI software does not see my quad.

When I run the Win Driver app I get an error that nothing was found to update. I'm running Win10 (I did try Compatibility Mode for W7 and XP3) but it just doesn't see it. I'm using the same USB cable that I use to charge the batt when it's in the Phantom. I'm not completely green, I have flown the quad several times and I would just like to make sure I can connect for future/present upgrades. (I don't know which I need til I can connect). Also on another note...My GoPro 3 black on the Zenmuse H3-3D gimbel points down at a 45 degree with no input. If I point it down (I have the newer transmitter with the rocker on the left side) it points straight down. If I point it up it points straight ahead. It seems the pix I see online have the camera pointing straight ahead. Maybe I'm imagining things.

Well it's 2:30 AM and this was a work day so I am giving up on this for the second day in a row.

Could someone please tell me what dumb thing I am overlooking.

This might sound dumb, but you have to have the USB hooked to the phantom and the controller turned on and connected to the Phantom also. I thought it was weird that the controller was calibrated thru the Phantom connection and not directly thru it's USB port.

This might sound dumb, but you have to have the USB hooked to the phantom and the controller turned on and connected to the Phantom also. I thought it was weird that the controller was calibrated thru the Phantom connection and not directly thru it's USB port.

It is, you do it both through it's own app, then through the Phantom Assistant app.

Thanks! I will try again. I did have it hooked that way because I remember moving the gimbal from the controller while the Phantom was hooked to the PC. You don't have to have the motors running on the Phantom do you? I still have had no luck getiing the PC to recognize the Phantom or the controller. I will try again and I will document me steps so hopefully you guys can tell me what I'm missing...

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl