Am I ready?

Reaction score
I have read the DJI manual...twice.

I have read the "Ultimate Guide" (even have it printed and in a binder for reference that I can take with me [yup, I am a nerd])

I have watched hours of YouTube videos

I have flown my Hubsan indoors for practice

The weather looks good for this weekend with decent temps (mid 40's!) and light winds

Only caveat is, I don't want to remove the camera. I watched how and honestly, with my fat fingers I don't trust myself taking out the ribbons.

Can I still practice while keeping the camera attached?

Assuming you have done the calibrations and updates, I'd say so. Nothing wrong with being prepared, I did the same.

Relax and enjoy!

Don't know about the camera but can't see it being a problem.

The camera will only be an issue if you crash. So, don't crash :D

msinger said:
The camera will only be an issue if you crash. So, don't crash :D

Marlin009 said:
Assuming you have done the calibrations and updates, I'd say so. Nothing wrong with being prepared, I did the same.

Relax and enjoy!

Don't know about the camera but can't see it being a problem.

I certainly will try my best not to crash!

I am going to do all the updating and calibrations in the morning.

Guess your ready.
Just handle the bird with care.
Do hand landings and/or see how's done.
If your not comfortable with removing the camera then leave it in place.
I use tweezers to manipulate the cables in and out the connectors.
If you decide to detach it after all, know that the wifi will not work.
If the wifi isn't working there is also no telemetry and the app shall not work.
Advance slowly even though its tempting to pouch the limits of your ability to control the bird.

Have fun with your bird.

I would think you would want the camera on and running.
Like TTP said "If you decide to detach it after all, know that the wifi will not work.
If the wifi isn't working there is also no telemetry and the app shall not work.
Advance slowly even though its tempting to pouch the limits of your ability to control the bird."
If you do crash you want a video of it.
Did you change THE RETURN HOME height? I found the default height was kinda low so I set mine to 200'.
Don't get cocky, we have all seen video of flying a few feet off the ground at full speed, thru the trees, down the street, in the park, ect, ect... and then pow.

My 5p., invest in the gimbal protector thats available, just in case you do crash.

Someone chuck the link in here please its late and im to tired to find it.

dalebb said:
If you do crash we want a video of it.

FIFY. :mrgreen:

crash1sttime said:
My 5p., invest in the gimbal protector thats available, just in case you do crash.

msinger said:
See this link for the most popular gimbal guards:
https://www.phantomhelp.com/#Fixes

cheers msinger, i was of course referring to the one that stops the gimbal from tearing apart on a bad landing

dalebb said:

Although they do a good guard it wont stop your gimbal coming apart, or are they now doing that type of guard?

Marlin009 said:
dalebb said:

Did I say that? I ment you would want a video of it and we would like to see it. ;)

Marlin009 said:
dalebb said:

Yeah...and make sure to stop the camera from recording before it comes in contact with anything.

dalebb said:
I would think you would want the camera on and running.
Like TTP said "If you decide to detach it after all, know that the wifi will not work.
Advance slowly even though its tempting to pouch the limits of your ability to control the bird."
If you do crash you want a video of it.
Did you change THE RETURN HOME height? I found the default height was kinda low so I set mine to 200'.
Don't get cocky, we have all seen video of flying a few feet off the ground at full speed, thru the trees, down the street, in the park, ect, ect... and then pow.
See, I didn't say that.

And very importantly, do the compass calibration when you get to the home/launch site, and before takeoff, make sure you have 7+ satellites, and observe the rapidly flashing green lights. Are you using NAZA mode?

rickasaurus said:
And very importantly, do the compass calibration when you get to the home/launch site, and before takeoff, make sure you have 7+ satellites, and observe the rapidly flashing green lights. Are you using NAZA mode?

I will be flying in NAZA mode for sure.

I also downloaded the GPS satellite "finder" app as advised in the guide here and my location has between 8-10 depending on the time of day.

skyexposure said:
rickasaurus said:

I will be flying in NAZA mode for sure.

I also downloaded the GPS satellite "finder" app as advised in the guide here and my location has between 8-10 depending on the time of day.
Where do you live? I get 6 to 8 in the house and 11 to 12 flying.

To be honest...didn't check outside. I am flying in a field about a block away form my house. Inside was where I got 8-10.

I am in South Jersey.

skyexposure said:
To be honest...didn't check outside. I am flying in a field about a block away form my house. Inside was where I got 8-10.

I am in South Jersey.
Thats good, I'm in Bakersfield, cali.

Just relax and have fun. Keep it in sight. If you get disoriented, or feel like you're losing control, just release the controls and let it settle into a hover-the GPS will hold it in place until you clear your head. :D

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl