Am I ready?

I have a 16 mph wind out of the north now and I want to take it up and see how it does. I'll report back.

fastsmiles said:
Just relax and have fun. Keep it in sight. If you get disoriented, or feel like you're losing control, just release the controls and let it settle into a hover-the GPS will hold it in place until you clear your head. :D

Yup. That's the idea. Tomorrow I won't take it high - I'll just go through the training exercises and burn through two batteries. Sunday I will go a little higher.

dalebb said:
dalebb said:
I would think you would want the camera on and running.
Like TTP said "If you decide to detach it after all, know that the wifi will not work.
If the wifi isn't working there is also no telemetry and the app shall not work.
Advance slowly even though its tempting to pouch the limits of your ability to control the bird."
If you do crash you want a video of it.
Did you change THE RETURN HOME height? I found the default height was kinda low so I set mine to 200'.
Don't get cocky, we have all seen video of flying a few feet off the ground at full speed, thru the trees, down the street, in the park, ect, ect... and then pow.
See, I didn't say that.

I changed your post and said FIFY (fixed it for you). It was a joke. They don't always work. :mrgreen:

Marlin009 said:
dalebb said:
dalebb said:
I would think you would want the camera on and running.
Like TTP said "If you decide to detach it after all, know that the wifi will not work.
If the wifi isn't working there is also no telemetry and the app shall not work.
Advance slowly even though its tempting to pouch the limits of your ability to control the bird."
If you do crash you want a video of it.
Did you change THE RETURN HOME height? I found the default height was kinda low so I set mine to 200'.
Don't get cocky, we have all seen video of flying a few feet off the ground at full speed, thru the trees, down the street, in the park, ect, ect... and then pow.
See, I didn't say that.

I changed your post and said FIFY (fixed it for you). It was a joke. They don't always work. :mrgreen:
you had me questioning myself, I might have been thinking that but I'm sure that I did'nt say that out loud. :roll:

bro u are more than ready!

i never flew a drone or any RC that flies ever and i did perfectly fine. just start with GPS more in an empty field and learn all the maneuvers! just read the manual the day before and overly stressed about it like you.

I have had 50 or more flights so far and never crashed. then again i always fly 200ft or more never around obstacles lol

dalebb said:
WHEN you do crash WE want a video of it.
Now it's really fixed.

Get that Hubsan outside and fly it,, 1000 % difference flying outside that inside,, Unless you live in the AstroDome.... You won't be sorry if you hold off the purchase of the phantom and spend a few weeks or more outside with a trainer quad..

I have ( had ) a Hubsan X4 and probably had 100+ flights on it.. last week as I ran 7 batteries through it I thought to myself,,, Hey I am getting pretty good at flying this thing,,, about that time I took it up real high and in a different orientation than I am used to and got confused and lost it.. After reviewing in my head what I did with the controller I know where I failed... I made the wrong moves with the sticks.. proper panic moves will have to be automatic for me before I by a big quad..

And not to knock the phantom,, but do your research,, there are a lot of new quads out there on the market that can rival the phantom..

djl

If I get confused or freak out I just turn off the RC and it flys right back to me, I have the RTH set at 200' so I don't hit anything on the way back.

bmr528 said:
Get that Hubsan outside and fly it,, 1000 % difference flying outside that inside,, Unless you live in the AstroDome.... You won't be sorry if you hold off the purchase of the phantom and spend a few weeks or more outside with a trainer quad..

I have ( had ) a Hubsan X4 and probably had 100+ flights on it.. last week as I ran 7 batteries through it I thought to myself,,, Hey I am getting pretty good at flying this thing,,, about that time I took it up real high and in a different orientation than I am used to and got confused and lost it.. After reviewing in my head what I did with the controller I know where I failed... I made the wrong moves with the sticks.. proper panic moves will have to be automatic for me before I by a big quad..

And not to knock the phantom,, but do your research,, there are a lot of new quads out there on the market that can rival the phantom..

djl

What new quads are out?
The parrot ? Lol

dalebb said:
If I get confused or freak out I just turn off the RC and it flys right back to me, I have the RTH set at 200' so I don't hit anything on the way back.

I have my RTH also set at 200 so I wont hit anything lol

One advice I wanna give you to in case you get scared is, use the home lock function. Of course you need to unlock NAZA mode first but don't be afraid to do so you won't regret it. Instead of risking the RTH feature you can always flip the left switch all the way down and pull back on the right stick and your phantom will fly back to you no matter which direction the nose is pointing. Make sure the s2 switch is on GPs mode when using home lock cuz it won't work on ATTI mode

moswissa said:
dalebb said:

One advice I wanna give you to in case you get scared is, use the home lock function. Of course you need to unlock NAZA mode first but don't be afraid to do so you won't regret it. Instead of risking the RTH feature you can always flip the left switch all the way down and pull back on the right stick and your phantom will fly back to you no matter which direction the nose is pointing. Make sure the s2 switch is on GPs mode when using home lock cuz it won't work on ATTI mode
I'll have to try that.

dalebb said:
moswissa said:
dalebb said:

I'll have to try that.

If you go to naza mode, and you should in my opinion, set the bottom position of s1 to failsafe (rth). You don't want it in manual. Then you don't have to turn your tx off. Home lock is an outstanding feature too.

And then ultimately when your ready you can go really high, my current record is 1600ft.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BP0wEzZ-Qiw[/youtube]

Once i get the RE700 im hoping to hit 2000ft

crash1sttime said:
And then ultimately when your ready you can go really high, my current record is 1600ft.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BP0wEzZ-Qiw[/youtube]

Once i get the RE700 im hoping to hit 2000ft
How do you get down from that high? the bird takes so long to come down, do you go into manual and sprial down?

VERY happy to report every went ok. Granted, I was very caution, but I did manage to get the thing up to about 250'. It was a little windier than forecasted, but she held position well.

Two things that were downers. First, the binding initially (at home) took FOREVER. For whatever reason it just wouldn't work. I spent entirely too much wasted time on that. It must have been my fault because it ended up working fine.

Second, I calibrated the compass as soon as I got to the field, and it was fine. I flew some practice routes, then landed. I went to take off again and got the compass calibration warning pop up on my screen right away.

All in all...a really good day. A lot of nerves, a lot of stress, but once she was flying - it was a LOT of fun!

Attachments

• DJI00116.jpg
    DJI00116.jpg
    8.5 MB · Views: 323

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spicehub