altitude

Yes you can. But if you're in the US don't do it. Not sure about other countries but the ceiling for UAVs is 400'.

Remember it's not quite that simple. Firstly, the recommendation for recreational flying is 400 ft AGL, not 400 ft above takeoff point. Secondly, the FAA has clarified that it is only a recommendation under Part 101, and that provided that community guidelines are followed (in this case AMA), higher altitudes AGL are not forbidden, with the usual caveat that the flight must not endanger aircraft in the NAS.

Remember it's not quite that simple. Firstly, the recommendation for recreational flying is 400 ft AGL, not 400 ft above takeoff point. Secondly, the FAA has clarified that it is only a recommendation under Part 101, and that provided that community guidelines are followed (in this case AMA), higher altitudes AGL are not forbidden, with the usual caveat that the flight must not endanger aircraft in the NAS.
Thanks for the clarification.

You can set the max altitude to 500m, that will allow you to ahare airspace with manned aircraft in a lot of areas. There are a lot of donkeys that seem to think that's is a good idea. Manned AC have 500ft min with our toys limited to 400ft with the intent of making it idiot proof in most places to maintain separation.

In mountainous areas you can be 100 ft above ground level and also be 1650 feet above your take off point. You can also fly 400ft above any structure. Ground level may be 0 altitude and the building your flying over can be 500ft tall. In that case you can fly at 900 ft.

In mountainous areas you can be 100 ft above ground level and also be 1650 feet above your take off point. You can also fly 400ft above any structure. Ground level may be 0 altitude and the building your flying over can be 500ft tall. In that case you can fly at 900 ft.

Don't forget the structures bit is specific to Part 107 - there is no reference to structures in Part 101 or the AMA safety guidelines, other than to say to stay away from them.

I was down to our garden yesterday (we have a plot in the city park garden) and there was a helicopter flying over and around in circles. I wasn't flying yesterday, but had I been at 400 feet I suspect the pilot would have had to look up to see me.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thedrinklabsus