Almost a flyaway

Reaction score
Hi ,

I have had the phantom 2 for a couple of months, and have put around 15 flights on it, never taking the battery to less than one solid and one blinking light, but the batteries have still puffed a little and are getting hard to remove, anyway thats not the issue,

the issue is the following:

It was very windy, around 8-9ms, the phantom handled it in its stride, I had been doing some ATTI flybys with the wind behind it, and it handles it nicely as long as you have enough room to slow down.
Then I decided to do some very low flying, at around 10cm from the ground and use the propwash to clear sand off the floor (it makes a very nice effect)
I did this with no problems for around 5 mins. Evidently with strong wind the altitude hold was a bit ropey, so I was manually doing that, and in GPS mode, manually maintaining the position as I slowly went back and forth watching the sand woosh away.

After 5 mins, I went up and released the sticks, (this is where the fun begins) the phantom then flew away with the wind.

It didnt get very far before I pulled back on the stick and got control, but, it then did the same thing everytime I released the stick.

Landing was a little hard to do, as I had to guess the stick position to maintain position in the high wind, and I landed and toppled onto the back props, they got a slight dink in the tips,

I reset the phantom and it flew without wandering, but was then making some very twitchy movements, I thought this might be due to prop vibration and landed, again it toppled and the props were finished off.

I havent flown it again since, but will do tommorow hopefully,

Its worth mentioning that the first time I turned it on, it gave the LED sequence for a faulty IMU, I reset it and it was fine, (the first time i turned it on it wasnt level, could that have caused the IMU problem?)

I think that 5 mins of holding it against the wind tricked it into thinking that was the LEVEL position, and then it went in the opposite angle when I released. Does this sound feasible?

I have a NAZA V2 LITE sat doing nothing because it did a similar thing when flown in ATTI in wind, only it would almost do a full loop when I released the sticks.

thanks in advance

m00se said:
After 5 mins, I went up and released the sticks, (this is where the fun begins) the phantom then flew away with the wind.

It didnt get very far before I pulled back on the stick and got control, but, it then did the same thing everytime I released the stick.
A flyaway is when your Phantom flies .. away.
Drifting on the wind is something else.
You haven't mentioned satellites. What was your satellite status when the Phantom was drifting?
The easiest explanation of that behaviour would be that you had <6 sats and so the Phantom defaulted to atti mode and was at the mercy of the wind.
WIthout knowing details of your sat reception at the time, that's the best guess.

A flyaway is when your Phantom flies .. away.

So when someone says Almost a flyaway in the title, would it be fair to expect a report of it almost flying ........ away?

It didnt look like a GPS problem, I have been flying quads for close to 5 years, and I know what GPS glitching looks like. The fact that this and the V2 LITE have now done almost the same thing makes me think there is a problem somewhere concerning the buildup of a kalman filter or something to control attitude,

It looked like me more or less fighting the winds in GPS mode but manually had caused it to get confussed,

I guess I can always go back and see if it does it again. But since there is no way to record data I wont be able to conclude anything

I guess i should have mentioned that during the uncontrolled flight away from me, the drone wasnt level, it was at the opposite angle to the one I had it at during the flight . IE if i had it at +15 degrees to combat the wind, it flew away at -15 degrees of tilt,

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
intertronixlabel