Air travel with your Pantom

Reaction score
How do you travel via air with your Phantom when overhead space is limited (i.e. Regional jet like MD-83)? I have a GPC backpack and an HPRC hard case (non-wheeled). I also have 4 batteries total. I'm heading to Huntington Beach, CA in a few days and really don't want to miss this oppty to fly.

You can only travel with one battery installed in your Phantom and two more batteries in your carry-on (3 total). If you take all four, you might be leaving one at the airport :)

:D
I take mine in the GPC backpack, also 4 batteries. It's a tight fit in the regional planes, but I've had no problems and only once did anyone ask about it. The x-Ray dude at one airport asked if it was a quad.

Check with your airline to see what size is allowed as carry-on.

MHL

I have been using the GPC back pack for awhile. I recently purchase the GPC hard case non wheeled. Both are approved for carry-on. My fear was that if there was no room for carry on the backpack would not survive baggage handlers. msinger is correct on the batteries, 1 in and 2 carry on. Here is the link on batteries for US travel.

http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org...edia/faa_airline_passengers_and_batteries.pdf

What concerns me more is how the hell someone called Phantom Phreak could possibly misspell Phantom :lol:

crash1sttime said:
What concerns me more is how the hell someone called Phantom Phreak could possibly misspell Phantom :lol:
What concerns me more is how the hell someone could not figure out it was the OP that misspelled Phantom. :D

I carry my P2V+ in a Fieldline Tactical backpack (identical to the GPC.)

It does NOT fit in the overhead compartment of an ATR-72, but I've had no problems fitting it in 737s or A320 variants, or larger jets. The Fieldline barely fit under the seat of the ATR-72, and it removed more than my share of foot room and most of the other passenger's as well.

msinger said:
You can only travel with one battery installed in your Phantom and two more batteries in your carry-on (3 total). If you take all four, you might be leaving one at the airport :)

Curious where this number of batteries comes from? I will be traveling to Atlanta in March and Hawaii in April and did not see a number of batteries allowed specified anywhere.

Thanks for the link...just saw it

Is the battery limit per a person? Lets say you bring your wife. Are you then allowed 6 in total?

msinger said:

Okay, just realized the "3 total" line is factually inaccurate. According the the link to the airline pax and batteries PDF, phantom smart batteries only are rated at 57.72 watt hours per battery. This is significantly less than the size they place a limitation on (2 batteries). You should be able to bring as many as can safely be secured in your case with you. I plan on taking 6.

I also plan on taking my case and batteries to the airport ahead of time to ensure all batteries and case will be accepted as carry on luggage.

I've always traveled with 4 batteries (Phantom 2) or 7 batteries (Phantom 1.)

Just to check back in here...I flew from Richmond, VA to Huntington Beach, California this week. I was actually able to put a nice jacket, pair of pants, 3 undershirts, socks and some toiletries in my GPC back over my P2. I then carried another backpack for laptop and remaining items. Carried on both items and the GPC fit in the overhead on both connections (737 and MD-83). I had a battery in my P2 and 3 other batteries lined up in the case. Not a single word was ever mentioned nor did the conveyor even slow down through security. I'll definitely be taking my P2 wherever I travel to this year (Have Puerto Rico, London, Toronto, NY, Boston and Chicago coming up).

:D
Cool, same experience with me!

Some small regional planes only allow one carry on.

Check your airline's size requirements

MHL

Can anyone confirm that the Trade Craft ToughCase XRV+ fits in the overhead bin on most aircraft.

Im about to take mine to sedona and other cool spots in az,called tsa in minneapolis and they said 3 batteries max but my wife could carry some too.
And Phantom Phreak just might be a Phish Phan.

Been carrying 6 batteries for P2, plus multiple 3S lipos for FPV ground gear, for over a year, maybe three dozen international flights. No one has ever said a word about # of batteries.

Kelly

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl