Aftermarket battery vote/ survey.

Would you use an aftermarket battery

• Total voters
Very useful and intuative, thanks Nigel

You'd never believe I have literally hundred LiPo's would you !! With over 53 models ready to go ... I had to learn about them !!

Cheers
Nigel

i use third party batterys ... and find no difference between them and DJI original.

Here's my source : http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/262660 ... =STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Ireland registered seller .... so for you in UK - ideal !!

But - by now you will have seen that its a divided issue, many like me have no problem with non original batterys. I asked around and others who fly P3 that I know confirmed the Irish seller I linked to.

The people advising against non original - I don't see them stating THEY had model fall from sky ... its always 'second / third' hand reporting.

What I will say is - I have had in my hands a DJI battery that only gave one flight before failing. Yes - one flight. Owner was one of our club guys with a P3P ... We decided to open it up to find out why .... the cells were fine ... all showing good voltage and iR. But the board was shot. At no time had that battery been subjected to anything to warrant this. DJI charger used, no crashes ...
We were also surprised at the way the wires etc, were just crammed in - we definitely did not consider it quality workmanship. Sorry DJI - just stating what we saw.

Like everything in life - peace of mind comes with using recc'd known items - not always OEM. Myself and five others in my club buy from the Irish seller I linked to. No failures or problems. Only failure was the DJI OEM battery !

Nigel
I bought a batt from China last year which worked perfectly well until DJI bricked it with fw update.What i find interesting is that mine is exactly the same as your Irish sellers,same stickers, same led shape etc.Wonder if anyone found a way to counter DJIs block

I bought a batt from China last year which worked perfectly well until DJI bricked it with fw update.What i find interesting is that mine is exactly the same as your Irish sellers,same stickers, same led shape etc.Wonder if anyone found a way to counter DJIs block

I find this really interesting as you are first person who I read actually had FW brick their battery.

Now I wonder what can be done ? As I understand it battery FW is part of the overall FW and not a separate item. Therefore I wonder if rolling back FW on the whole might allow the battery to work ?

I have two from the Irish source - which of course like 99% of all others including DJI come from China - and both work perfectly with latest FW on the gear.

Nigel

First spare batt was not DJI.
My second one I scored last week with the awesome price match at $49.95 was a DJI battery.

So again nothing in stone just internet warriors with opinions.
I can se how if you brough the cheapest battery going it's not going to be as good as the original but, there is one on Amazon for £70 with sound reviews ( not that Amazon can be trusted ) next week I will order one and give real feedback .

Powerextra 15.2V 4480mAh LiPo Intelligent Replacement Battery for DJI Phantom 3 Professional, Phantom 3 Advanced and Phantom 3 Standard, 4K Drones Powerextra 15.2V 4480mAh LiPo Intelligent Replacement Battery for DJI Phantom 3 Professional, Phantom 3 Advanced and Phantom 3 Standard, 4K Drones: Amazon.co.uk: Toys & Games
I have this particular battery and have had zero issues in my P3A. 22 cycles and still as strong as OEM!

Now the Poll is interesting as it has two possible YES votes ... Yes and Do with no problems.

But the real interesting fact is that you can only vote ONE item ... so that makes it so far 25 Yes and 10 No ....

But no doubt the No's will rally soon and I can bet that majority No's haven't even had a first hand experience of a 3rd party battery !!

This is the problem. Those that say Yes are most likely to have that experience of actual use. But a person can vote No without actually even having one seen ... they'll vote based on xxx hand reports or personal bias.

Nigel

That's why the answer is no, DJI only. I'm a little bit sarcastic, I like to be a little more fun with things. But so far there does seem to be more yes than No. I'm not sure Dji could brick a battery, this all sounds very strange to me

I have two from banggood and can't fault them in any way, just as good as the original, plenty of cycles, and also can't pick any difference in performance, between them and my original.
My two extras combined cost less than one genuine.

i use third party batterys ... and find no difference between them and DJI original.

Here's my source : http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/262660 ... =STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Ireland registered seller .... so for you in UK - ideal !!

But - by now you will have seen that its a divided issue, many like me have no problem with non original batterys. I asked around and others who fly P3 that I know confirmed the Irish seller I linked to.

The people advising against non original - I don't see them stating THEY had model fall from sky ... its always 'second / third' hand reporting.

What I will say is - I have had in my hands a DJI battery that only gave one flight before failing. Yes - one flight. Owner was one of our club guys with a P3P ... We decided to open it up to find out why .... the cells were fine ... all showing good voltage and iR. But the board was shot. At no time had that battery been subjected to anything to warrant this. DJI charger used, no crashes ...
We were also surprised at the way the wires etc, were just crammed in - we definitely did not consider it quality workmanship. Sorry DJI - just stating what we saw.

Like everything in life - peace of mind comes with using recc'd known items - not always OEM. Myself and five others in my club buy from the Irish seller I linked to. No failures or problems. Only failure was the DJI OEM battery !

Nigel
That's the battery I bought and it seems to work fine. Only issue is the battery does not clip in as firmly as my original but I'm hoping it is secure enough.

As said in a previous post if a firmware update bricked a battery would rolling back firmware allow the battery to work again? And out of curiosity what bricks a battery a firmware update or an update for the dji go app?

You can search this forum. It's been discussed here many times.

Oh come ON!!! You make an absurd claim, and when I call you on it you tell me to go search for the answer myself?

First off, when I ask you for a "source", I mean a CREDIBLE source, not equally absurd comments made by koolaid swallowing idiots on a forum somewhere.

Second off, YOU made the claim so it falls on YOU to provide evidence, not me to go see if your ridiculous claim has any merit.

So once again: Source please?

Reference FW bricking a battery .....

While I was waiting for IT guy to 'flip' wifes Win7 Pro computer over to Russian version ... we were talking ... and the subject of blocking codes and FW etc. came up ... and he without prompt from me related a story about a DJI Drone he was handed that wouldn't fire up.
He reckoned it took him about 5 seconds once he got inside the battery to unlock it !! It was not a Phantom though ... so I didn't press him as to how.

I know that when we opened up a failed DJI battery - we figured out which pins to 'short' to reset the counter !! But that's something we have all agreed to not publicise as the risk is not evaluated yet - we are waiting for a battery pack to reach its limit and then test before we let out more info.

Nigel

On asking DJI tech about GO and battery life etc. - one said at 200 cycles GO regards battery as finished. Another said that GO no longer does this ....

Interesting that they cannot agree.

I would suspect that even though you can roll back FW on the RC / AC - battery may not.

But anyway - I am still skeptical about FW bricking a battery.

Nigel

3rd party batterys work fine for me, I can get 21 minutes in a P3P, BUT don't have them in the aircraft while updateing the software. They will not work after that thanks to DJI

3rd party batterys work fine for me, I can get 21 minutes in a P3P, BUT don't have them in the aircraft while updateing the software. They will not work after that thanks to DJI
Good point. I was wondering about firmware updates with aftermarket batteries in the aircraft while updating.

Here we go ...

Sorry but there are too many 'maybe's .... reported to ..... I heard that ..... ' but in fact many people who keep quiet out there using OEM and 3rd party batterys without trouble.

The DJI battery itself is a 3rd party battery supplied to them !!

nigel
But the deal breaker maybe the firmware that DJI installs in the battery. I strongly suspect firmware differences between genuine and 3rd party will (or would in the future) cause headaches when using the GO app.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rockymountaincaptures