After Market or OEM Battery?

I have noticed that the older batteries have a red warning triangle on the warning side - you can't miss it as it's the only red thing printed on the battery. The new batteries do not have this red triangle warning.
I have a mix of old and new batteries. All of them have the red warning triangle.

Reactions: scootrkitz
I have a mix of old and new batteries. All of them have the red warning triangle.

Weird ... none of mine have the red warning triangle, not even printed in black. On mine, there are only 2 warning triangles, one for English and one for Chinese. ALL printing on my batteries is black, no red or other colors. I only saw one place that was selling them on ebay, gave a part number as cp.pt.000399 and pics were exactly what I have - super bright LED's and no red warning triangle. I almost got an extra but I didn't and now I'm kicking myself in the rear!

Ok so the fact of the matter is that there is no way to know what battery you actually have. Compare LEDs? How the heck does that work for somebody who got all three batteries at their original drone purchase. Mine all look the same. However they do look bright and I can distinctly see each of the three LEDs. Also all three have the little red triangle.

Reactions: bumblebee14
So,I'm lost now,is there no way to visually check version of battery, being 342 or 399. What is a 54 and a 7?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots
You can tell by the brightness of the battery.

The 54s use a different plastic. To me the 7s actual look nicer but I think they addressed an issue with the 7s that caused it to crack at the spot where you push it in. I have a couple 7s and fly with them and am not concerned.

I have a brand new 54 (never once flown) and you are welcome to it for $125 if ya want it. The box it's in says Part 7 but it's a mistake, its definite a 54. PM me if you want it. I'll let you see my eBay account with all the sales of the battery and 100% positive feedback.

Ok so the fact of the matter is that there is no way to know what battery you actually have. Compare LEDs? How the heck does that work for somebody who got all three batteries at their original drone purchase. Mine all look the same. However they do look bright and I can distinctly see each of the three LEDs. Also all three have the little red triangle.
It's very simple to find out which you have.

Hint: when looking through the plastic if it's perfectly uniform and the green is the same saturation around the circle, that's a part 7. If you can see like 3 layers of LEDs and can see through the plastic to the actual light, part 54.

Watch this video I made when they first came out with the 54s and for about 3 days, some people were freaking. (Ignore the copy in the video where it says 54 and 54 instead of 54 and 7 like it should)

By the way, it should be pointed out that (and nobody realized this at the time I made the video), that the 54s (the brighter ones) are not appearing to crack as you can see on my #7 labeled bat 2, you can see the hairline crack dead center. That's probably why they changed it as I have not received a crack on any 54s and all my 7s do but I just put a drop of epoxy on then.

Last edited:
The newer ones are actually smaller and fit rather sloppy in the dji multi charger. I bought one on line and another from Best Buy before I got one a third one that actually worked. Does not say much for their Quality Control.. Or their subcontractors

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Compare LEDs? How the heck does that work for somebody who got all three batteries at their original drone purchase.
The new model has burn-your-eyes-bright LEDs. The LEDs on the old model are very dull looking. If the LEDs look bright, you definitely have the new version.

The new model has burn-your-eyes-bright LEDs. The LEDs on the old model are very dull looking. If the LEDs look bright, you definitely have the new version.
I would look at the video I posted above.

Bright is a relative term even though I understand exactly what you mean Mike.

On the other hand, you can only actually SEE the LEDs themselves on the 54s. If it's a 7, it's going to only show the plastic.

Basically if you can see through the plastic over the LEDs, it's a 54 (assuming it's a DJI OEM).

So with all this good information,where are the sellers coming up with the part numbers, as in the 399 or 342?

Last edited:
There are two versions of the P4 battery. The older version usually sells for around $100 (like here on Amazon). The new version is closer to $169. The only notable difference is that the newer version was redesigned to prevent the top from cracking (see below). Both versions of the battery are the same performance-wise.

View attachment 66240

I bought a couple of those $100 original-version batteries from Amazon. They came sealed in DJI OEM packaging. They are virtually indistinguishable in appearance except for the shade of green of the LEDs. They charge the same, have the same runtime, and over about 8-10 flights on each have performed identically to the new-version batteries that came with the Phantom 4. So far, I see it as a good deal. It doesn't save just "a few bucks", it saves $69 for each battery.

OK ... so which part numbers are which version of battery ... 54 vs. 7 and cp.pt.000342 vs. 000399? Also, any ideas why my 2 batteries (definitely new version) don't have the red warning triangle?

From what I get 54 is the 399 no crack loose fit newer and the 7 is original 342 that fits snug and cracks. Crazy stuff lol Still don't under stand where the 399 and 342 numbers are. My thinking is get 54s as they are newer. I super glued the crack in my cracking battery tonight.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl