After crash, continue flying, or send in for repairs?

Reaction score
My P4P lost a propeller yesterday and fell from about 40 meters into a tree. Battery was ejected upon landing. On initial examination, damage seems blessedly minor, limited to a chip on one of the landing legs and a very small bulge of the shell along one of the arms.

WechatIMG46.jpeg

WechatIMG44.jpeg

I did a hover test for about 20 minutes without any issues. Gimbal, camera, everything appears to be just fine.

My question is what to do now. Can I continue flying? Should I send it in to get checked, or can I continue flying? I am concerned that the bulge may develop into further shell cracking? Is that something I need to worry about?

Unfortunately, I'm leaving on a trip today where I really want to bring the Phantom (rare opportunity), so the timing couldn't have been worse.

I think the chip on the landing gear is the cover that has popped off upon impact. It may still be in the area where the drone crashed and you can refit it. As for the bulge in the shell, you could try and gently coax it back into position or tape it to prevent and further splitting before you get it repaired properly. Assuming that it flies ok and there has been no other hardware damage, I'd take a punt on it and fix it when you return. Curious as to how the prop would just fall off when it clicks into place upon fitting. Might want check the locating tabs are in good nick.

Just to update you all -- I've flown some 50+ flights since the crash with no issues other then some gimble fickleness (but that may have nothing to do with the crash, phantoms are nutorious for not holding a straight horizon..)

Anyway, I'll send it in to DJI for a check and possible shell-replacement this week.

My P4P lost a propeller yesterday and fell from about 40 meters into a tree. Battery was ejected upon landing. On initial examination, damage seems blessedly minor, limited to a chip on one of the landing legs and a very small bulge of the shell along one of the arms.

View attachment 74712

View attachment 74713
I did a hover test for about 20 minutes without any issues. Gimbal, camera, everything appears to be just fine.

My question is what to do now. Can I continue flying? Should I send it in to get checked, or can I continue flying? I am concerned that the bulge may develop into further shell cracking? Is that something I need to worry about?

Unfortunately, I'm leaving on a trip today where I really want to bring the Phantom (rare opportunity), so the timing couldn't have been worse.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl