Aerial Image/Video License

Reaction score
I have a local university that wants to contract me out to do some aerial photography and video of the campus for them with my Phantom. Basically I've gave them a rate in which they get 5-10 edited photos and 3-5 edited video clips in a package, set rate. Should I be getting a piece of the pie since they are using these for promotional use on top of my rate or what's the smart thing to do in this situation? I don't want to screw my self and I'm new to the license/royalty game for photos. Thanks for any help!

Depending on what country you are in, you may need a certification to even do the work.

Hi smoke23

Ditto rilot.

Having said that, this is photography work for hire and, as such, you do not own the copyright to the images/videos, the client does. If you had taken the images/videos on spec and then sold finished product afterwards you would own the copyright. Further, most stock photo agencies these days do not charge royalties, even when the photographer does own the rights. Besides, policing the payments owed would be very difficult.

While you do not own the copyright, you do have the right to retain the negatives (source files). If they want something different in the future reusing your footage, you can then charge to create the new finished product.

According to the FAA, you are required to hold a commercial pilots certificate whether you're inside the aircraft or just in control of it. (A drone). According to them, you can't even GIVE the images away if the images are ultimately used in commerce.

I heard about a loophole but nothing more.

Good luck.

caprob said:
According to them, you can't even GIVE the images away if the images are ultimately used in commerce.

Wow, really?

I was going to suggest just doing it for free and working out a side promotional deal for your business or a friend's business.

I hope they figure out the commercial license thing soon. I wouldn't mind becoming certified to do aerial real estate videos. I live near some areas in Orange County, CA where I could probably easily use my Phantom for some extra money.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl