About to be P3 SE Owner!

Reaction score
Hey Y'all!

After much (too much if you ask my wife) research, I'm going to be purchasing my first drone (P3 SE). I was back and forth between this and the Spark but decided to go with stability and flight time. Besides, I read in more than one place the Spark isn't presently living up to its potential.

Apart from adding the DJI refresh coverage plan and buying extra batteries - anything else a newb should consider?

Thank you kindly,

Matt

Reactions: dirkclod
Hello,
It is a pleasure to welcome you to the Phantom Pilots forum.
I hope that you will be able to use the forum to further your safety knowledge and for the exchange of innovative ideas and as a resource for current developments in DJI quadcopters.
*GO 4 APP MANUAL: DJI Go 4 Manual

Reactions: matlaw850
Welcome to the forum .
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching .
0rojyyg-png.95983

Welcome to Phantom Pilots! :)

Apart from adding the DJI refresh coverage plan and buying extra batteries - anything else a newb should consider?
A multi charger like the DJI Battery Charging Hub might be a good addition. I like using mine when charging multiple batteries so I don't have to swap them off/on the battery charger as each battery finishes charging.

Hello,
It is a pleasure to welcome you to the Phantom Pilots forum.
I hope that you will be able to use the forum to further your safety knowledge and for the exchange of innovative ideas and as a resource for current developments in DJI quadcopters.
*GO 4 APP MANUAL: DJI Go 4 Manual

The p3 SE uses the DJI GO app You can not use the Dji go 4 with the SE

Hey Y'all!

After much (too much if you ask my wife) research, I'm going to be purchasing my first drone (P3 SE). I was back and forth between this and the Spark but decided to go with stability and flight time. Besides, I read in more than one place the Spark isn't presently living up to its potential.

Thank you kindly,

Matt

Hey Matt
Here is a List if things I have purchased for my SE. I’m not saying you need these, it’s just food for thought

ND filters (p3 push on ones)
If you decide on the filters don’t make my mistake of getting super cheap ones

Parabolic signal booster
This Is a cheap way of getting the drone some extra feet in distance

Motor dust covers

A hood to stop the sun shining on your iPad or phone

A case or backpack [emoji309] for it

Doug

Is that good, bad or indifferent? I ask because I see refurb 4K's for sale and near as I can tell the SE is a relabeled 4K that is still currently offered. I can buy either as they appear to have the same capabilities.

You are correct. That link is just part of my welcome as most DJI quads use the go4 app.

The Se is 4K and has a indoor sensor on it The p3. 4K is a standard p3 with a 4K camera The go4 app is for P4 /mav / spark as far as I can tell. The p3’s donot appear on it when you go to select your drone, I’m just trying to cut off the frustration [emoji16]

The Se is 4K and has a indoor sensor on it The p3. 4K is a standard p3 with a 4K camera The go4 app is for P4 /mav / spark as far as I can tell. The p3’s donot appear on it when you go to select your drone, I’m just trying to cut off the frustration [emoji16]
Just to add to your info... The 4K is not a P3S with a 4K camera. While it does not utilize Ocusync, it uses a much better controller (same as pro). Currently, I would say the P3/4K is closest to the P3/SE. The Go app also supports the Osmo where the Go4 does not.

Just to add to your info... The 4K is not a P3S with a 4K camera. While it does not utilize Ocusync, it uses a much better controller (same as pro). Currently, I would say the P3/4K is closest to the P3/SE. The Go app also supports the Osmo where the Go4 does not.

One of the things I was disappointed about the SE was the RC being a Standard one

Welcome to Phantom Pilots from Dayton Ohio! Enjoy your new Phantom, Fly safe and have fun!

First, thanks to all who have chimed in to help. However, I'm confused and need y'all to break it down for me like a two year old.

Between the P3 SE and P3 4K, is there a consensus on which one is better for a rookie?

I like the idea of indoor sensors but the better controller seems like a no-brainer in terms of functionality.

Also, FWIW, our house is 'rural' enough that even our Verizon service has dead spots in parts of our home and property. Does that matter regarding the controller and drone comms?

They are both from the phantom 3 range and both rookie friendly. The drones don’t use your home internet to fly they have their own wifi connection between the RC and Drone You will need the internet for updates for the firmware.

Thanks. Just to throw a wrench into the process - I see refurb Phantom 4's on the DJI site for a price I can live with. Any reason not to go with a refurbished 4 over a NIB 3 SE? We've bought refurb Apple computers with no problems but Apple is Apple and I've read that DJI's customer service leaves something to be desired.

Good grief - buying a first drone is daunting! Now I'm looking at the Mavic too. Folks are over the moon about them. What's caught my interest is the size and fly-ability of them, especially the Air. Tough to argue against the portability factor. Hmmm ... the plot thickens. I do appreciate all the input here. A Phantom may still be where I end up but the waters sure have been muddied.

Good luck in your pursuit of your first drone. I had the P3se as my first drone. it was the perfect drone for beginners. It flew flawless. Once I started to use intelligent flight modes every flight was so much easier to record video. As far as distance go’s between the the two se/4K it doesn’t matter. As a newbie you will be hard pressed to take it out past 2000 ft. Not that bit can’t go father. It’s just hard to see it’s a little dot in the sky. Remenenber must maintain VLOS. One thing I can reconmend is to get insurance also. Do yourself a favor go buy one of those 20.00 dollar drones and practice with that it helps you getting orientation Down.

Safe future flying

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jorge sanchez