About ready to pull the trigger on a P3 Pro

Joe above referenced an issue that I was concerned about but never could get a good answer on. When I get my p3 a or p, not sure yet, I was going to use either my iPhone 6s or my ipad 3. So the iPhone has a gps but the ipad does not. But the ipad has a much larger screen.

The main area that I want to fly has no internet and no cell service. Can I fly a p3 with no concerns or are there some issues I need to be aware of. On the plus side, gps signals are strong. What issues might I have.

Will I have to buy an ipad with cellular? Will that ipad have to have cellular service enabled? Guessing not because it's just the gps it needs.

Any other comments about this issue would be appreciated and I am sure it will help others under this thread.

Ps, great thread for a rookie like me. Tks again

This has turned into an excellent discussion quicker than I thought. Thanks for all the good points!

zobiwu - i am going to give it a shot with my Samsung s6 first. I would just purchase stuff like this new personally.

msinger - awesome link!

BigAl07 - I do not want to just shoot what I will utilize today. I want to shoot the best quality that I can because I'm sure it will come in hand down the road.

Sinisalo - I do not think I will hold out as I will be breaking ground in the next couple weeks. I have waited for electronics/technology in the past and........ well don't hold your breath. I see no reason to have wheel s on a case. Why is "hand catch" more preferred? I have flown an uncles P2 and landing and takeoff seems pretty straight forward?

joe21- You bring up some good points about using the way point mode with acres. This is something that I would like to discuss with you in greater detail. Especially setting up a "mission". I have not researched this in much detail. Thanks for the NFZ heads up. I am about 100 miles south of ATL so it does not look like an issue.

sdharris - This is probably why I will go with the Pro. A couple hundred bucks is not going to sway my decision on video/photo quality. I have a 5TB external hd.

joe21 - This is another question I had. I have a mac book pro and will be transferring the video/pics every 2 missions or so. If this is the case it sounds like I will be able to get by with the 16 gig card?

Allan8056 - Extra Props & Guards sound like a good idea. What do you mean by putting string on the guards? And you suggest an 18" USB so you do not have a long cord hanging down from the remote right?

Again thanks for all the suggestions and feedback!

av8er79- When you purchase the DJI Phanton 3 Propeller Guards... They include a spool of nylon string. When installed (as shown by Karthikdoc) you will have a better chance protecting the propellers!

Go 4K - Even if you don't have a 4k screen in the house. Why??? It's the best quality with the highest resolution. I don't have a 4K TV but I shoot everything in 4k. It gives you more flexibility in post including allowing you to take high resolution screen captures direct from the video. Not to mention that you have more room to stabilize etc and still output in full 1080 without losing resolution.

Get a tablet.. I'm an android guy... I chose the iPad Air 2 (cellular). I don't think I could have gone wrong with buying the Samsung. I will say this... not a single hiccup with the Air 2. No lag and the video is buttery smooth. YMMV

Get ND filters.

Some have suggested prop guards. I would not use them. There are pros and cons to their use. Read up on that before you buy them and install them. If you do decide to get them I would get the ones that have the quick release.

Batteries minimum is 2.

Lastly and probably one of the most important things - invest in a small inexpensive copter to get the controls down. I think this was pretty invaluable for me. Flew it a bunch before I got the P3P

Joe above referenced an issue that I was concerned about but never could get a good answer on. When I get my p3 a or p, not sure yet, I was going to use either my iPhone 6s or my ipad 3. So the iPhone has a gps but the ipad does not. But the ipad has a much larger screen.

The main area that I want to fly has no internet and no cell service. Can I fly a p3 with no concerns or are there some issues I need to be aware of. On the plus side, gps signals are strong. What issues might I have.

Will I have to buy an ipad with cellular? Will that ipad have to have cellular service enabled? Guessing not because it's just the gps it needs.

Any other comments about this issue would be appreciated and I am sure it will help others under this thread.

Ps, great thread for a rookie like me. Tks again

You don't need cell service to fly once its registered first time. So don't go out in the wilderness without performing a first flight in a park with cell service or registered at home over wifi. Someone on here did that, drove miles, set it all up and then couldn't fly.

GPS on the tablet or phone is useful for follow me as it follows the GPS coordinates of the tablet or phone connected to the controller. Other apps like Autoflight Logic also uses GPS coordinates of your tablet or phone to point the camera in your direction etc. I use that application a lot and would be lost without GPS in my iPad mini.

You don't need cell service or an active SIM just a cellular iPad for example.

i have said this before. I'm an android guy. If price were an issue I would have purchased the Shield.. Android devices have GPS built in and are less expensive than the apple devices. I really don't think I have heard of anyone complaining about the shield.

I just use my tablet for flying.

4K, for the 100ma charger, higher bit rate, more post options, and most importantly ... then push for an app update/developement that will provide digital zoom for it! :)

Give us zoom or give us death!! ;)
We have zoom. The stick on the right :)

I wouldn't hold out waiting for a P4, with the success of the P3 and the still increasing sales I highly doubt the P4 would be released this year. It is probably in development but I wouldn't count on anything being released. That said, yes the P3 has been out for 9 months or so but now the kinks are finally ironed out and the P3 is a very stable and reliable quadcopter. I agree that the iPad mini 4 is the best choice for tablets. It has the brightest and best looking device screen I have ever seen. As for the case, if you want a hard case you might want to make sure you get one with wheels. Also I would advise you to learn how to and always hand catch your Phantom when landing, it is the most reliable way to land in my opinion. Check out @msinger's list of accessories and remember to have fun. Be sure to read the manual, they don't include it in the quadcopter box so you have to download it from the DJI website.
What the Heck, are you talking about, kind Sir? Please Drone on...
From my believable & reliable inside source, a Phantom X is to be done initial testing and set to be released for this coming June, 2016.
So, if that's too long of a wait, please shop early. ;-) Mark your daily "calendar at a glance" and keep your nimble fingers crossed...
I like the idea of the arm-band wrist-watch style controller for those Follow Me and that sort of flying option. This feature will be much like the Lily drone. & 60mph sounds like a lot of oomph, in the throttle.
Object avoidance too, my friends. Hehe So the big clock is ticking, and thee eager, ready to buy customers are all, in an anticipatory buying it, mode. ;-)

RedHotPoker

Last edited:
Agreed. I am pretty sure you need the cellular version of the iPad. Not that you need an active cell connection to fly, but the cell versions are the ones with the GPS chip. The non-cellular iPads will work, but lack the ability to so something with the P3 (can't recall exactly what).
Yes well, let's refresh your memory, shall we? Hehe
Having the cellular iPad or a like device version, has built in GPS, true. Also true you don't need to be connected to a cellular service to utilize the GPS module. With a GPS enabled device, will allow you to utilize the Follow Me feature. As well you can move around, and change the Home Point to where the radio controller had gone.
Last but certainly not least, if you do have a cellular device, and have that option enabled, you can also Stream Live video from the drone camera to your device and send it wirelessly out to your active YouTube channel account, yeah, streaming live video. Oh yes!!
Using an utterly awesome, trouble free iPad Air 2 64gb Cellular here. It's the balls man!! ;-)

RedHotPoker

Last edited:
So that begs the question, if I decide I need a gps on my ipad for the follow me feature, which one do I need . There are many older ones on Craig's list but show 3 g cell enabled for a good price and 4 g versions which cost a bit more. Guessing it won't matter which one I get so 3 g version is good enough. As for re streaming it to you tube, hmmm don't care at this point. He he. Tks for the added info. Guessing if my iPhone 6s is not large enough, I will be searching for an ipad with cell service option in the future.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

I will say it again, AT & T is selling a iPad air 2 for $100. if you sign up with direcTV. I bought one today and it works great. Only 16gb but that is more than enough. Just saying.

you guys do know that if you shoot your footage in 4K and then drop the 4K footage into a 1080 video project that you just grab the video with your mouse and move the large 4K footage around on the smaller 1080 project display.... this way if you have the blades showing up in the 4K footage all you have to do is grab the footage with your mouse and drag it up in the 1080 project display and like magic there are no more blades messing your footage up.... then you just output the final as 1080 footage... its called panning....

One advantage to using an ipad mini 4 is the fact that it has GPS and a Barometer for altitude measurements that are significantly more accurate for waypoints using Autopilot missions.
for add ons:
1) neck strap required
2) short USB cable for display
3) sun shade for display
4) quick release prop guards.. serves two purposes... they give the end of the arms more strength to help with body cracks, you have the choice of when to use or when not to use.... easy on/off
5) couple of extra batteries
6) carry case... the DJI backpack is great for carry of the quad/controller...
7) polarizer/ND filter kit
8) Prop balancer
9) upgraded battery charger.... the blue one that charges three batteries and the remote at the same time
10) buy a cheap lable maker for marking FAA number and numbering the batteries
11) gimbal protector - make sure it will clear the camera during power up...
12) carbon fiber props are cool but more of a luxury... they look and sound cool
13) if you plan on sharing the view - get the HDMI option for the remote and a headplay display
14) read the manual at least 5 times until you understand it...
15) play with the quad in the house - without the props on - use the simulator and practice there and go through the setups... there are many ... until you know what each does...
16) get a few of the extra apps available ... it will make your day watching the apps fly your missions...
17) you will yearn for a bigger display as you figure out the setup... some options aren't available on smaller displays like iphones vs the larger display of a ipad mini...
18) have fun but never assume anything... fly in super wide open spaces when you start out.. it only takes a small tree branch to ruin your day and quad...
19) ALLWAYS BE SAFE... remember the props are like spinning razor blades

What the Heck, are you talking about, kind Sir? Please Drone on...
From my believable & reliable inside source, a Phantom X is to done testing and set to be released for this coming June, 2016.
So, if that's too long of a wait, please shop early. ;-) Mark your daily "calendar at a glance" and keep your nimble fingers crossed...
I like the idea of the arm-band wrist-watch style controller for those Folow Me and that sort of flying option. This feature will be much like the Lily drone. & 60mph sounds like a lot of oomph, in the throttle.
Object avoidance too, my friends. Hehe So the big clock is ticking, and thee eager, ready to buy customers are all, in an anticipatory buying it, mode. ;-)

RedHotPoker
I wouldn't really call the phantom x a Phantom 4, the phantom x is in a class of it's own, a whole new class of low flying, object avoiding, "drone" that is mostly an awesome follow me style drone like the lily. I personally do not want one but I am sure a lot of people will, either way it is not a "Phantom 4"

No such deal on the $100 ipad here in my area. Bummer....
But great advise on accessories and operation going forward. Very cool and many Tks....
Great forum for helping us newbies.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

I wouldn't hold out waiting for a P4, with the success of the P3 and the still increasing sales I highly doubt the P4 would be released this year. It is probably in development but I wouldn't count on anything being released. That said, yes the P3 has been out for 9 months or so but now the kinks are finally ironed out and the P3 is a very stable and reliable quadcopter. I agree that the iPad mini 4 is the best choice for tablets. It has the brightest and best looking device screen I have ever seen. As for the case, if you want a hard case you might want to make sure you get one with wheels. Also I would advise you to learn how to and always hand catch your Phantom when landing, it is the most reliable way to land in my opinion. Check out @msinger's list of accessories and remember to have fun. Be sure to read the manual, they don't include it in the quadcopter box so you have to download it from the DJI website.
I agree with almost everything except recommending hand catching. This is a very dangerous procedure for a new pilot. I have well over 100 flights and have never hand caught my bird. The P3 is one of the easiest copters to land on the ground. My belief in hand catching is that it is not a matter of if but a matter of when it will bite you.

Love my P3P I got about 5 weeks ago, got prop guards and use them if I am in a wooded area or many obstacles. If open flying I do not use them. I have 5 batteries and love that! I use Nvidia shield K1 and really like it so far. Got a nice case and I am really enjoying the drone and getting more and more used robot but trying to go slow and gradually increase distance and altitude. I have gotten to 400' level and flown about 2500 feet away so far. Since I have the altitude working on distance and different flight settings like follow-me and POI. One problem with one battery but DJI took care of that on warranty and they were easy for me to deal with.

Why is everyone so evangelical about Apple? The Galaxy Tab S2 is one of the very best out there at the moment. The most important thing of all is visibility of the screen in daylight - check a few and make your choice from that!
Agree 100%. I have a nexus 7 2013 and it has been flawless and it costs a hell of a lot less than an apple device.

Reactions: Wibble
I would buy a syma X5 off Amazon for about $45 to practice on...plus it is really fun to fly. The DJI backpack is really nice, I got it free with the Black Friday deal I got. I was not going to get it originally, but I am really glad I bought it. I carry a 2x3 feet board to take off and land on. Prop guards, gimbal guards, and all that add on stuff to me is just wasted weight....I would not buy. Also, it comes with two sets of props. If you break them that fast you need a break anyway....

So, my recommendation is to only buy a extra battery and DJI backpack and that is it! Then find a nice flat board to land and take off from. Things I am currently looking at buying is a sunshade, maybe the filters...need to check my frame rates as I fly mostly at dawn and dusk...

Reactions: Slow Polk

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31