A Bozo Phantom pilot strikes again

Status
Not open for further replies.
You are intitled legally to your idiot opinions and statements, why don't you and the fool who insulted me in the previous thread go eat lunch together and fly your drone unsafely and get arrested. Rag on him for his bad mouth and idiot statements ,why you plan you next flyby over the White House.
My language has nothing to do with my respect for safe flying, but everything to do with people of your caliber.
LOL
trolling.jpg

Reactions: kirk2579
I agree with the original op.

And no, you should never fly over a busy freeway, period.
Tell that to the military helicopters that deliberately fly directly over and along the freeways wherever they coincide with their intended flight path! :rolleyes:

Both yours and the media's.

Flying over a freeway is reckless. If he crossed the freeway on his flight path that is one thing, but if he flew with or against traffic, that is dangerous and reckless.
We don't know the details of the flight, but the fact is it was reported on the news. Damage done.
Fly over a crowd, you are going to get attention. Fly over traffic and you deserve all the attention you get. Stop making excuses for bad piloting.
Reckless because you say so? Tell that to the military who deliberately fly their helicopters along and over urban freeways! Deemed safer than flying over houses!

Last June I was in a rush to make an appointment in Tacoma, WA. As I was traveling west on Highway 18 (6 lane divided highway). I noticed a couple of cars ahead of me sort of swerve, or drift, and almost at the same time I saw a P3 flying about 15 feet above the cars, flying directly up the freeway against traffic. Everyone was staring at the drone, not the road - people were actually drifting out of their lanes. Looked further ahead and saw a kid (late teens to early twenties) standing on an overpass with a Phantom controller and a big grin on his face.
I wasn't concerned that the drone would come through my windshield, but that I would be involved in anything from a fender bender to a multi-car pileup from the mass of distracted drivers.
That incident clearly qualifies as reckless flying by anyone's definition. Conceded! :)However, it doesn't establish that any other pilot merely traversing a freeway at 250 AGL with a drone is reckless in any way.

Reckless because you say so? Tell that to the military who deliberately fly their helicopters along and over urban freeways! Deemed safer than flying over houses!
Not Reckless because you say so?

We auto drivers are used to seeing helicopters and they don't often divert our attention, especially since they usually are not flying withing 15-20 feet of our car's roof.

But fly a drone against freeway traffic and I can tell you it will be a big diversion to drivers below. Yes, I think that is reckless. I think most would agree with me. I've been on a 6 lane highway when I drone flew over us flying against traffic. I was amazed there wasn't a wreck.

Interesting though, I'd never heard that military deliberately fly their heli's along urban freeways. Living very near to JBLM for the past 20 years and very close to Hill AFB before that, I've never noticed the heli's following the highways. Have a link?

Reactions: BRENTHABBESHAW
Traffic had slowed to about 50 mph and I had absolutely no problem seeing his face, his age, and could identify him. And yes, I was wearing prescription sunglasses.
I'm also able to read banners that have been strung across overpasses.
I can read graffiti sprayed on overpasses.
Whenever a group of people decide to hang out on overpasses with signs protesting this or that, or with signs asking you to "honk if you support ______ (insert favorite cause)" I can actually see their faces! I can tell their gender, age group, and whether they are smiling or angry.
I've even been known to recognize family members on the sidewalk as I speed by!
I don't think I have some uncanny ability to use my eyes. :)
Easily distracted maybe? ;)

That incident clearly qualifies as reckless flying by anyone's definition. However, it doesn't etablish that traversing a freeway at 250 AGL is reckless in any way.
SMH.
Hmmm. I guess you missed where I said in my post you originally quoted:
"If he crossed the freeway on his flight path that is one thing, but if he flew with or against traffic, that is dangerous and reckless."

I believe "crossing" and "traversing" are synonyms...
Hope that helps you understand a little better.

That incident clearly qualifies as reckless flying by anyone's definition. However, it doesn't etablish that traversing a freeway at 250 AGL is reckless in any way.
Not Reckless because you say so?

We auto drivers are used to seeing helicopters and they don't often divert our attention, especially since they usually are not flying withing 15-20 feet of our car's roof.

But fly a drone against freeway traffic and I can tell you it will be a big diversion to drivers below. Yes, I think that is reckless. I think most would agree with me. I've been on a 6 lane highway when I drone flew over us flying against traffic. I was amazed there wasn't a wreck.

Interesting though, I'd never heard that military deliberately fly their heli's along urban freeways. Living very near to JBLM for the past 20 years and very close to Hill AFB before that, I've never noticed the heli's following the highways. Have a link?
I already agreed with you about your personal incident as being reckless. As to the military flying over and following urban freeways, ask a military helo pilot.

Last edited:
Easily distracted maybe? ;)
He had already distracted me, did you miss that?

I was specifically looking at him to see if I could identify him. I belong to 3 local flying clubs and know quite a few drone flyers in my area.

Is there a reason you are taking each of my posts from last week on this topic to task?
Just curious.

SMH.
Hmmm. I guess you missed where I said in my post you originally quoted:
"If he crossed the freeway on his flight path that is one thing, but if he flew with or against traffic, that is dangerous and reckless."

I believe "crossing" and "traversing" are synonyms...
Hope that helps you understand a little better.
It's a long post, and I am catching up. Glad we are in agreement, after a brief clarification. :)

I already agreed with you about your personal incident as being wreckless. As to the military flying over and following urban freeways, ask a military helo pilot.
I just did, he said to ask you for a link. He is curious too.

Edit: He says he is aware the medical helicopters fly along freeways and highways at times, but is curious about the military doing this?

He had already distracted me, did you miss that?

I was specifically looking at him to see if I could identify him. I belong to 3 local flying clubs and know quite a few drone flyers in my area.

Is there a reason you are taking each of my posts from last week on this topic to task?
Just curious.
Seeking common ground, and defending the right to traverse freeways without being labeled as reckless for doing so. Several other posters in this thread appear to think flying over (even traversing) freeways is reckless. I mistakenly thought you were among them. My apologies.:cool:

Park manager called today to explain why even a nano quad is illegal in this "public" recreational field. Seems to many mommies are afraid that "lil" may be injured. Although kites are still allowed

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
I hope nobody is throwing around a softball or a baseball on the rec field either. Those things can kill you! :rolleyes:

I just did, he said to ask you for a link. He is curious too.

Edit: He says he is aware the medical helicopters fly along freeways and highways at times, but is curious about the military doing this?
If you ask him why the medical helicopters do so, you will likely find the same reasoning exists for the military, too. I presume it is safer overall. Pilots looking to ditch their malfunctioning plane also seek out freeways and even golf fairways, as they are far safer in the event of a rough landing. They even fly against the hole on golf courses, if necessary!

I don't believe Mr. Mann believes anything.

Just likes to take a contrarian approach to any topic and argue.
Lets take it down a notch here guys. No need to ruffle feathers.
Some of you may not like Steve but his post are always well formatted, usually contain source links and usually spot on. Love em or hate em, he is very knowledgable. ;)

I am curious, per many apps. The area where he was flying wasn't in a no fly zone, it was past the 5nm that are required. I'm only speaking about the area where he was fly and not the fact it was over the freeway. I know many people that fly that area that are not over a freeway in which they should be in the clear? Is this wrong?

I've only seen that we are to make sure we are under 400ft and outside the 5nm zone.

This is a direct quote from the article I've linked at the bottom.

The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA), in partnership with the Association for Unmanned Vehicle Systems International, Academy of Model Aeronautics and the Small UAV Coalition, launched a new website today that aims to educate the public about how to safely fly unmanned aircraft systems (UAS)...
...here are the rules the FAA wants you to know about:

• Follow community-based safety guidelines, as developed by organizations such as the Academy of Model Aeronautics (AMA).
  • Fly no higher than 400 feet and remain below any surrounding obstacles when possible.
  • Keep your sUAS in eyesight at all times, and use an observer to assist if needed.
  • Remain well clear of and do not interfere with manned aircraft operations, and you must see and avoid other aircraft and obstacles at all times.
  • Do not intentionally fly over unprotected persons or moving vehicles, and remain at least 25 feet away from individuals and vulnerable property.
  • Contact the airport or control tower before flying within five miles of an airport.
  • Do not fly in adverse weather conditions such as in high winds or reduced visibility.
  • Do not fly under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
  • Ensure the operating environment is safe and that the operator is competent and proficient in the operation of the sUAS.
  • Do not fly near or over sensitive infrastructure or property such as power stations, water treatment facilities, correctional facilities, heavily traveled roadways, government facilities, etc.
  • Do not conduct surveillance or photograph persons in areas where there is an expectation of privacy without the individual’s permission (see AMA’s privacy policy).
What The FAA Wants You To Know Before You Fly Your Drone

Last edited:
Reactions: kenjancef
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicos18