6km, 3.8miles, long distance flight

Awesome. Do you notice how often and when the receiver is picking up from the Helical or the cloverleaf?

OH and I noticed... you replaced the stock 2.4 Transmitter Antenna on the RC?

How do you power on your lmmersionrc Duo? from your Black Pearl DC Out?
And did you see a big difference from using only your Black pearl Diversity system?
At 4km I get a good image from my Black Pearl.

d4ddyo said:
Awesome. Do you notice how often and when the receiver is picking up from the Helical or the cloverleaf?

OH and I noticed... you replaced the stock 2.4 Transmitter Antenna on the RC?

Unless the P2 is very close, or overhead, the receiver will always uses the Helical.
The TP-Link 8dBi antenna mod makes quite a difference I think.
The mod is shown here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gcl-hT5iznY

Jimpic said:
And did you see a big difference from using only your Black pearl Diversity system?

I used to power the Duo from the DC-out on the BP but now I carry a 3S lipo in my pocket with an extension lead and power it from that, just to be safe.
In my opinion the Black Pearl as a receiver is a waste of time when used with the ImmersionRC 600mW Tx.
Not only is the range severely limited but the picture quality is terrible also.

The Duo not only compares the signal quality, it also compares the actual video image to decide which antenna to use, apparently.
Which Tx are you using with the BP?

2trickpony said:
Jimpic said:

I used to power the Duo from the DC-out on the BP but now I carry a 3S lipo in my pocket with an extension lead and power it from that, just to be safe.
In my opinion the Black Pearl as a receiver is a waste of time when used with the ImmersionRC 600mW Tx.
Not only is the range severely limited but the picture quality is terrible also.

The Duo not only compares the signal quality, it also compares the actual video image to decide which antenna to use, apparently.

The BP works fine with boscam or flysight vtx, immersionRC 600mw tge range is very limited...

The TP-Link 8dBi antenna mod makes quite a difference I think.

Question about the antenna mod: because the connector on the TX is fixed on the board with silicon and could be tricky to disconnect, do you think would be OK to just cut off the wire of the old antenna and solder the new one with the part coming out of the connector? Keeping the old connector with silicon in place. Without losing out signal strenght or anything, of course. Hope this makes sense.

The pigtail in the TX is easy to get off (unlike the RX in the Phantom). Just use a sharp knife to trim away the silicon and then it will pop right off.

xgeek said:
The pigtail in the TX is easy to get off (unlike the RX in the Phantom). Just use a sharp knife to trim away the silicon and then it will pop right off.

+1

Thats it.

jtheogr said:
Awesome Video flight!!.

The flight data at left of the screen is from Flytrex data logger ?

Yes, I use The Flytrex data logger and then overlay the data from this onto the video with Dashware.

GhostMaster said:
2trickpony said:
Jimpic said:

The BP works fine with boscam or flysight vtx, immersionRC 600mw tge range is very limited...

Agree.

It is far from 2trickpony's record (6km) but here is my flight over the sea: 4200 m with Black Pearl and ImmersionRC 600.
Interesting part starting around 1'30"...
Since then, I didn't want to go farther than 2km at the same location.

https://vimeo.com/92315701

Also my first video with Dashware to include the Flytrex datas.

Jimpic said:
It is far from 2trickpony's record (6km) but here is my flight over the sea: 4200 m with Black Pearl and ImmersionRC 600.

Nice video, but what happened exactly at 1:30? Is that a Phantom problem or a Gimbal problem? Also, knowing you were about to do a long range FPV on the sea, why did you take off with 89% battery? Always start with a 100% battery, that 10% more can save your Phantom's life!

Nice video, but what happened exactly at 1:30?

As you can see, the Phantom just fell and lost about 15m. It happened when I started turning (may be loosing RC link). I know that Failsafe didn't kicked in and you can see small and quick moves (it's me trying to regain control). I guess the zenmuse got disconnected for a few second and that would explain this position.
In fact I have had this kind of issue since I own my Phantom 2.
I used to experience this kind of fall when I switched S1 (ATTI or FS, or after regaining control after FS). I removed the switch and put a new one: no change.
I bought a Futaba and installed the Futaba receiver as well, and still, when I switch ATTI or FS with the equivalent switch, the same happens, but not always.
This time it happened only when I turned.

Here is another video that I made 2 months ago to show this issue:

https://vimeo.com/86003099

I am thinking of a Naza bug, and may replace it if I can find one.

Today, first flights with firmwares updated (assistant 2.0) and it didn't happen. I hope it's fixed but I am not sure though.

Concerning the battery, I always charge them after each flight, but as I did some tests before (at home), it wasn't full any more. I knew that I would turn back at 60% anyway, which I did.

Jimpic said:
Nice video, but what happened exactly at 1:30?

As you can see, the Phantom just fell and lost about 15m. It happened when I started turning (may be loosing RC link). I know that Failsafe didn't kicked in and you can see small and quick moves (it's me trying to regain control). I guess the zenmuse got disconnected for a few second and that would explain this position.
In fact I have had this kind of issue since I own my Phantom 2.
I used to experience this kind of fall when I switched S1 (ATTI or FS, or after regaining control after FS). I removed the switch and put a new one: no change.
I bought a Futaba and installed the Futaba receiver as well, and still, when I switch ATTI or FS with the equivalent switch, the same happens, but not always.
This time it happened only when I turned.

Here is another video that I made 2 months ago to show this issue:

https://vimeo.com/86003099

I am thinking of a Naza bug, and may replace it if I can find one.

Today, first flights with firmwares updated (assistant 2.0) and it didn't happen. I hope it's fixed but I am not sure though.

Concerning the battery, I always charge them after each flight, but as I did some tests before (at home), it wasn't full any more. I knew that I would turn back at 60% anyway, which I did.

I commented on Vimeo before I saw the above. That explains it. Nice with the Flytrex/Dashware info.

Jimpic said:

Nice flight Jimpic!
You have are very brave flying over open water like that. :eek:

Jimpic said:

How you get the battery data?. My Flytrex XML files do not have that field in them to map to a gauge in Dashware.

xgeek said:
How you get the battery data?. My Flytrex XML files do not have that field in them to map to a gauge in Dashware.

Good question! In fact I edited the Flytrex csv file:
- imported it in a mysql database (on my server) --> new table created
- created a new column "battery" in that table
- ran a few queries to add the battery datas (which I got from my DVR)
- stripped the table to keep only the necessary lines (from take off to landing)
- exorted the table as csv (with the same settings as the original one)
- in Dashware, edited the Flytrex data profile to add the new "battery" datas
- created a new gauge with this
That's it.

Hello 2trickpony,

On your Phantom RC is your antenna (big duck) better than a nimrod or Skew planar antenna?

Albert,

Hello 2trickpony,

On your Phantom RC is your antenna (big duck) better than a nimrod or Skew planar antenna?

Albert,

The TP-Link "big duck" antenna is for the 2.4 controller.
Nimrods are for 5.8 for FPV (video).

On the Phantom I have stock 2.4 receiver and antennas.
For fpv video I use the ImmersionRC 600 transmitter with Nimrod antenna

On the ground I use the stock DJI controller with TP-Link 8dbi antenna mod for control.
For fpv video I use an ImmersionRC 5.8 Duo diversity receiver with 1 Nimrod and 1 Blackhawk Micro antenna.
Thats all I use.

Cheers

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl