500m Height Limit Hack / Removal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's a thought...hike/climb to the top of the mountain and fly from there. Are there any issues with flying BELOW the take off elevation?

If the altitude limit is set by the barometric pressure at the time of setting home point, you could place the Phantom in a sealed container and pump out a bit of air to simulate a higher altitude, power up, set home point, open the box and then launch.

Hey! That's an idea!

Most people (with a couple of annoying exceptions) want to remove the altitude limit because the ground is not flat. I have to contend with 125 foot trees. If there is any slope to the land - which happens with distressing frequency in the mountains - you may no be going very far before you hit altitude limit while remaining just over the treetops - safe from high winds and low flying Cessnas.

Agreed.
Here's a thought...hike/climb to the top of the mountain and fly from there. Are there any issues with flying BELOW the take off elevation?
Are you being a smart a$$???

Now, clearly articulate to me what you plan on achieving with 500m height restrictions lifted? I'm curious...
Who cares? The real discussion is either set the height limit at 400 feet or none at all. Setting it at 500m seem arbitrary and is already against the FAA recommendation, so why bother at allif not setting it at 400 feet? Explain that one to me.

This is to be expected with every 'new wave' of Phantom releases or ownership.

It can be frustrating until you realize you don't have to participate.

One solution is to not allow ANY threads which entertain altering, hacking, etc. the Phantom's inherent safety systems or equipment.

Like many, I chat in other forums on different interests and depending on the subject ANY talk of "bypass this" or "disable that" and similar are a No-No and swiftly removed.

It may come to this as a liability issue for the site.
Are there liability for library or the publisher or author for having a book titled "Anarchist Cookbook"? Google it if you are not familiar with this book.

Last edited:
Reactions: dreck
Who cares? The real discussion is either set the height limit at 400 feet or none at all. Setting it at 500m seem arbitrary and is already against the FAA recommendation, so why bother at allif not setting it at 400 feet? Explain that one to me.

I agree the limit is purely arbitrary. I live in amongst mountains and find the restrictions a pain. In the UK you aren't supposed to fly above 400'. I have often seen aircraft flying BELOW my house so I can't work out whom this height limit is protecting.

Totally agree.

Are you being a smart a$$???

Not at all. I just got a P3P and plan to fly it from the tops of some mountains. Are there any issues I should be aware of in regards to flying below my take off elevation?

Not at all. I just got a P3P and plan to fly it from the tops of some mountains. Are there any issues I should be aware of in regards to flying below my take off elevation?

You are able to fly below take off point - it is documented somewhere on here what that limit actually is

Good. [emoji3]
Having to climb on top of the mountain kinda defeats the whole purpose of having a drone. You might as well limit the range to 50m and then say, "Here is a thought. Walk closer to what you want to film".

Like others have pointed out. The legal limit is 400 feet. If you limit it to that, I get it, but why 500m?

Anyway, nothing we can do about that.

I read most of these threads on pilots wanting to fly higher or other flying long distance along with apposing opinions regarding such activities as irresponsible with interest and smile,
Reason being as a hang glider pilot for many years we went through similar problems in many respects,
We did,nt have the luxury of internet forums or even gps or mobile phones, i was one of the pilots with fingers pointing at me and labeled as irresponsible for flying at or above cloud base along with being an avid x country pilot, claims were made we were a danger to our self which would result in bad publicity for the sport,
Pilots pointing the finger at me were people who took off from a 600ft ridge and floated back and forth never gaining more than a few hundred feet, if conditions were thermic (in their view turbulent and dangerous) they would wait hours till early evening for the smooth air they wanted, myself on the other hand would turn up only when it was expected to the thermic and if that did,nt happen could,nt be bothered to set the glider up, my only interest was cloud base or above and flying as far as my skills and the weather would allow,
Reactions of horror and accusations i would be the cause of future regulations came during club meetings on realising i was crossing citys, there were others doing the same but i was the main offender, myself and others should be banned from club sites and licences revoked,
Seemed after not so long xcountry became very normal and accepted along with competitions, the finger pointers now had other problems discussing rc flyers using the same airspace, that fell flat as many pilots were also rc flyers at one time who had moved on,
When asked my thoughts i always replied...most pilots are by nature responsible regardless of what they fly...no reason we cant share the same airspace, then came paragliders and my views changed,

As a phantom owner and glider pilot its hard to decide if the two mix..i just hope you guys understand light aircraft or commercial aircraft are not the only things up there, also often our thermals come off mountain sides facing the sun, our work load is hard and at times no opportunity to have an eye out for a phantom, we have no view what is above us.

Reactions: Frankc
Are there liability for library or the publisher or author for having a book titled "Anarchist Cookbook"? Google it if you are not familiar with this book.

It's purely a business decision not a First Ammendment one.

Zeran v. America Online, Inc. (1998) provides website owners immunity from prosecution for publishing thrid-party content but not from the financial 'fallout' of any bad 'press' or P.R as a result.

It all about the $$$s.

I agree the limit is purely arbitrary. I live in amongst mountains and find the restrictions a pain. In the UK you aren't supposed to fly above 400'. I have often seen aircraft flying BELOW my house so I can't work out whom this height limit is protecting.
Yes these british RAF fly low and fast weaving through the valleys, few times i called the numbers given to issue a NOTAM informing them i would be flying a hang glider and given the co ords, would tell the the time of arrival and a time i would land and go home if i could,nt get up and away from the area, i was nieve and assumed they would stay out between those times,
Nope, it only means they are aware you are there and will fly accordingly, i remember shortly after take off hearing one coming, i seen him pass way below me, i only felt i wanted to be on the ground asap and go home.

Reactions: Wibble
It's purely a business decision not a First Ammendment one.

Zeran v. America Online, Inc. (1998) provides website owners immunity from prosecution for publishing thrid-party content but not from the financial 'fallout' of any bad 'press' or P.R as a result.

It all about the $$$s.
Ok, i took your "liability" as a legal one rather than a generic business one.

OK. Let's end the debate of whether or not one should be allowed to ascend more than 500m on a drone that has no way of knowing it's height above ground. It has been discussed ad nauseum already. The P3 cannot ascend more than 500m in one flight. Hacks that once existed have been blocked. End of discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl