4K camera - P3 Pro - warning

My mac laptop is 3 years old edits 4K just fine. Get a computer with a discreet video card and you'll be just fine.
I assume you mean "discrete" as in dedicated..:cool:
"Discreet" video cards conjure up all sorts of nefarious uses! ;)

I built a desktop 2 years ago for $1500 that edits and views 4k fine. My cellphone shoots 4k - it's getting quite common now. 4k from the P3 looks so much better than HD especially on a large screen. Maybe it's time for a hardware upgrade.

I built a desktop 2 years ago for $1500 that edits and views 4k fine. My cellphone shoots 4k - it's getting quite common now. 4k from the P3 looks so much better than HD especially on a large screen. Maybe it's time for a hardware upgrade.
Frankly, on a 27" Dell 4K monitor, I am hard pressed to see the difference next to my 25" HP HD monitor, but the 4K is factory calibrated, while the HD is not, and the 4K monitor makes a great extended second screen. Perhaps my 4K capable video card just does a great job of rendering 4K on an HD monitor. It looked great before! Need to get a really nice high end Samsung 55" 4K TV, where the difference will be more noticeable. Santa? :rolleyes:

Frankly, on a 27" Dell 4K monitor, I am hard pressed to see the difference next to my 25" HP HD monitor, but the 4K is factory calibrated, while the HD is not, and the 4K monitor makes a great extended second screen. Perhaps my 4K capable video card does a great job of rendering 4K on an HD monitor. Need to get a 55" 4K TV, where the difference will be more noticeable. Santa? :rolleyes:

1. Upgrade eyes
2. Upgrade hardware
3. GOTO 1

If you want to really treat yourself you can get a 5K 27" iMac for $1699. They are amazing. I use them in my job as iOS UI Designer and Developer. The windows systems I own which has fantastic specs runs 50% slower than my mac with the same specs. One thing I realized was that virus protection, cheep slow hard drives (Mac has SSDs), and all the ad crap that comes pre-installed with windows it really bogs down an otherwise great computer.

You could try doing a clean install of Windows not from the CD that came with your computer, but with a genuine copy of windows that won't install the manufacture add-ons that slow down your machine (Dell, HP, Leno, and bunch of companies do this). It might drastically increase your computer speed. This really sped up my windows computer (I don't use it for video though)

Also consider adding an SSD. You can build a $500 windows computer that has a $300 graphics card and it will do awesome.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
I have have 13" 2015 Macbook Pro and it's doesn't do squat for me. :/

How is that even possible? I edit just fine on the 13" 2015 Macbook Pro.

I have 5 total MacBook Pros. 2015 15" MBP, 2015 13" MBP (4k works fine), 2013 15" MBP, 2014 MacBook Air.

Works fine on my 13" laptop. How much RAM do you have? I've never had a problem editing. Premier is stupid slow for rendering. I use Final Cut Pro when I want fast rendering.

16GB of RAM should work just fine. Don't buy MBP with anything less, as the parts are not user serviceable. Always get max ram.

I have have 13" 2015 Macbook Pro and it's doesn't do squat for me. :/

What doesn't work specifically? Playing back the file? Editing? Did you try using VLC to play back the video instead of quicktime?

That's crazy, I know it works. Are you talking about the new 13" MacBook (with USB-C)? and not the Macbook Pro?

What doesn't work specifically? Playing back the file? Editing? Did you try using VLC to play back the video instead of quicktime?

That's crazy, I know it works. Are you talking about the new 13" MacBook (with USB-C)? and not the Macbook Pro?

Playback is fine it's the editing with final cut. Got a Macbook Pro..

Frankly, on a 27" Dell 4K monitor, I am hard pressed to see the difference next to my 25" HP HD monitor, but the 4K is factory calibrated, while the HD is not, and the 4K monitor makes a great extended second screen. Perhaps my 4K capable video card just does a great job of rendering 4K on an HD monitor. It looked great before! Need to get a really nice high end Samsung 55" 4K TV, where the difference will be more noticeable. Santa? :rolleyes:

I do most my stuff on a 32" 1080p monitor but I also have my machine hooked to my 55" 4k and it is phenomenal to watch there.

Playback is fine it's the editing with final cut. Got a Macbook Pro..

You have the latest Final Cut Pro right? If you have 8GB of ram only you might have problems. Luckily Final Cut is about 100x faster than Adobe products, so at least you got that going for you.

Shoot in 1080P for now. When you need 4K sell your MBP and get the model with 16GB of RAM.

Reactions: Mario_SB
You have the latest Final Cut Pro right? If you have 8GB of ram only you might have problems. Luckily Final Cut is about 100x faster than Adobe products, so at least you got that going for you.

Shoot in 1080P for now. When you need 4K sell your MBP and get the model with 16GB of RAM.

It sucks shooting in 1080p because the footage is usually amazing and then wished I would have recorded it in 4K. I guess I can't have it both ways right now.

If you want to really treat yourself you can get a 5K 27" iMac for $1699. They are amazing. I use them in my job as iOS UI Designer and Developer. The windows systems I own which has fantastic specs runs 50% slower than my mac with the same specs. One thing I realized was that virus protection, cheep slow hard drives (Mac has SSDs), and all the ad crap that comes pre-installed with windows it really bogs down an otherwise great computer.

You could try doing a clean install of Windows not from the CD that came with your computer, but with a genuine copy of windows that won't install the manufacture add-ons that slow down your machine (Dell, HP, Leno, and bunch of companies do this). It might drastically increase your computer speed. This really sped up my windows computer (I don't use it for video though)

Also consider adding an SSD. You can build a $500 windows computer that has a $300 graphics card and it will do awesome.
Pleas go into more detail . Computer wise.

I agree with all the folks who support 4K, even if your computer isn't ready for it yet. For one thing, if you need still shots from your videos, they will be much sharper. And you can crop and zoom your videos, if needed, with better-than 1080 results. Keep the P3P and upgrade your hardware when you're ready. It's a great camera!

I shoot in 4k and do post in VideoPad Pro. I also export and upload to Youtube in 4k. My computer (video card and monitor) is only capable of HD (1920x1080), which only means I can't view it directly in 4k. My uploads to Youtube show up in 4k as part of the resolution selection and look spectacular on my Samsung UHD TV.

I upload a 4k video to YT and it shows & plays at 4k.

Just not right away. It takes YT a while to process the 4k video, so right after uploading it will only play at the lower resolutions. But given time, the 4k option will appear.
Are u sure ? I have uploaded several videos to YT and they all got reduced to 1080

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl