4K and no video editor is dumb!

Actually my Samsung television is 4K so I would like to have that capability.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Have you been able to display the footage you've taken, on your 4K T.V. ?
I'd love to see a couple of my videos on a 4k set. Viewing them on my 2k computer monitor is amazing, so I can only imagine what they would look like on a 65" 4k OLED display :)

Oh and on the subject of DJI including editing software. I've got tons of various software that came with Hardware over the years and 90+% of the time the software is either very elementary or crippled so it's hardly worth it.
So I don't want DJI to include any software as they will likely increase the price of the package to recoup their margins.

Hope you find a solution that works for you such that your not frustrated and can go out and shoot that magical video :)

Well I wished they had an app that could handle it but I understand most phones and tablets only support 1080p. I know there's some androids that support higher resolution. I'm just a bit frustrated I guess because I can't edit 4K in the DJI Go App and my old PC almost melts down the quad core processors when I try on it. Lower resolution for now I guess.

So it's a lack of hardware that is the limiting factor. Not sure why you'd blame DJI for that.

I wouldn't even want to use the crap that they would give for free. Pro software cost more than that Phantom itself. i have Panasonic GH4's .... They didn't come with software to edit 4K and if they did include it I would not use it. Panasonic builds camera's ADOBE builds software.

If you just want to "cut and paste" edit, then you dont need a fast computer at all, because you dont need to recode. Get avidemux:
Avidemux - Downloads

Its free and lets you select segments that you can then save as separate clips and combine segments in to a single video. Its fairly basic, you won't be able to do any transitions or effects, but its extremely fast (almost real time) and even better, because you're not re-encoding, you dont lose any quality.

Hey guys I'd like to chime in with a little guide on how I use my iPad Pro to edit the 4K video from my p3 pro while on the go with no computer to aid the process. This is a workaround to the official iOS app not allowing 4K video to be downloaded from the sd-card.

I use the LEEFco.com iAccess (there are other iOS sd-card readers out there.. Pick whichever you like.. Works great with my GoPro as well for 4K)

Import the video into the sd card app (the leef app will require you to remove the internal app storage limit that is there by default .. So dumb)

Now. how to get the 4K video into your camera roll so it can be accessed by iOS apps for editing?

I "open in" into an app called "emulsio" ..
Its a stabilization app but it's sort of a Swiss Army knife kinda app that can pretty much open any kind of video and then export iOS compatible video into the camera roll. The video leaves the app in the same resolution as the original. It is altered and looses something in the conversation.. But it is very OK for mobile edits.

The app will allow you to stabilize quite well but with our silky gimbal stabilized phantom video we don't need it.. So you can turn off all the stabilization settings and set the strength to 0% and export. You end up with a pretty quickly converted iOS compatible video that can be any resolution. You can also trim the video at this point in the app.

I think any iOS device since the iPhone 6 can handle 4K video quite well for playback and AirPlay.. But also editing .. The iPhone 6s and iPad Pro can play 2 4K videos at once, allowing for real time editing of layering and transitions.

Once the video is in the camera roll you can basically use any iOS editing software you would like... But here is a list of my favourites.. . I sure there are other great apps..

iMovie for more proper edits..
Quik for auto edits..nice ways of dealing with text.
Splice for easy edits..
Slopro for working with speed changes..
Flow for dealing with a varying playback speeds using a timeline
Video crop for true video cropping
Glitche for crazy effects
Text can be done with a few of these apps there are a ton of other text on video apps.
10 app but this one can crash a lot lately

I'd love to get someone else's laundry list of apps.

Thanks for reading..! It's not soooo easy but more than possible to work with 4K video from your phantom on your iPad or iOS device.

I'm sure there are android apps that make things very easy to do this sort of stuff on an android tablet.

I really don't understand why DJI installs a 4K video camera on the Phantom but no option to edit videos in that resolution. Dumbest thing I've ever heard of. Really frustrated right now.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app
Same reason professional 4K video cameras don't come with Adobe After Effects. They assume, as I would, that you're familiar with and have the necessary software and computer power to edit 4K or you wouldn't be buying their camera. I can edit 4K with Premiere Pro or AE but it's slow going on my setup. That's why I didn't buy a 4K Phantom. I knew my limitations beforehand.

For the best editing experience you need to re encode the footage that the 4K camera produces. DJI optimizes the video to minimize the space taken up on the SD card. Almost all prosumer video cameras do the same thing for the same reason. Unfortunately, this codec is very difficult to edit with. The standard workflow when using the AVC codec, whether or not it is from the DJI, Sony, Panasonic is to offload the card by using a converter to encode the copy to an edit friendly form. The file that results, is at least 10x as large, but is far easier to edit and play back. When you finish editing, you transcode again to a display codec for the tv. Many of the new tvs. use the HEVC codec.

To make your life simple try that workflow. You will find that Davinci Resolve and Final Cut Pro require this even on reasonably powerful desktops. Note as well that they must have graphics capable of displaying 4K video. Again older machines cannot.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jorge sanchez