4K and no video editor is dumb!

Reaction score
I really don't understand why DJI installs a 4K video camera on the Phantom but no option to edit videos in that resolution. Dumbest thing I've ever heard of. Really frustrated right now.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I'm not sure if you are saying you don't have an editor or not. If you don't, there is a free video editor by Black Magic Design named DaVinci Resolve 12.5. It is way down at the bottom of this page. The left side is free, the right side/column is not free. Also, if you are a pc windows user, there is the free Movie Maker by Microsoft usually included in your version of Windows.

Blackmagic Design: DaVinci Resolve 12

Hope this helps.

I really don't understand why DJI installs a 4K video camera on the Phantom but no option to edit videos in that resolution. Dumbest thing I've ever heard of. Really frustrated right now.

4K video takes a LOT of horsepower to edit and process. Not every device can even play 4K let alone have the power to edit and process it. That's asking a LOT.

Not sure what the beef is. There are several editors that can handle 4K video out there for free. DJI doesn't have to do everything for you.

The GoPro editor suite does 4K, DaVinci Resolve is a full featured multiplatform product that does 4K easily. As BigAl says, DJI has to contend with everything from an iPhone to a MacPro - the former won't do 4K very well, if at all. Pretty much everything this side of a cereal box can play 1080 so you see editing functions built into a lot of software. Lots of posts here about the various pros and cons of the different packages.

Video editing is a bit odd. Some people want to make drastic edits and big productions. Others don't want to do much of anything. You really have to tailor the package to what you want to get out of it.

I don't know of any phone/tablet editor that edits 4k. Not ruling it out but it's certainly not the norm.

The problem is the tablet/phone does not have the hardware needed to edit 4k video. My laptop has an i7 processor with 16GB of RAM and an SSD drive and even it becomes bogged down on 4k. A tablet does not even come close to this.

What does not make sense is to limit the camera hardware to that of what a tablet can edit. Most people use a computer to edit video. If you want to use an app, simply film in 1080.

Well if you bought a Phantom with a 4k camera, wouldn't you be sure you could do something with the video before you bought it?? Or shoot in a lower resolution until you found a program to edit it?? There are other Phantoms that don't have 4k.... I guess I don't understand your beef either....

I'm not sure if you are saying you don't have an editor or not. If you don't, there is a free video editor by Black Magic Design named DaVinci Resolve 12.5. It is way down at the bottom of this page. The left side is free, the right side/column is not free. Also, if you are a pc windows user, there is the free Movie Maker by Microsoft usually included in your version of Windows.

Blackmagic Design: DaVinci Resolve 12

Hope this helps.
following - want to try DaVinci

Davinci is awesome for free. IMovie does 4k now on Mac but it's $14.99...I just bought iMovie over the weekend because it says it supports 4k and DJI is on their list of cameras supported

following - want to try DaVinci
DaVinci is great. Certainly the most full function free editor. It does have a signficant learning curve. GoPro studio is easier and dumber.

Most people just want to cut out the boring bits and create some sort of story line. You don't need much of an editor to do that. Changing exposures, adding effects and filters, etc is a different story.

On the mac, SimpleMovieX allows cut and trim, I think it's free / cheap. Even baseline quicktime can trim.

Reactions: NRJ
I have been using Power Director as really ease to use (and learn).
Used version 9 and just ordered version 14 which handles 4K.
Cost £52 which is not too bad if you edit a fair bit of video, otherwise go for one of the free software options.
I could not justify spending £100's of ££££s on a high end software version.

Reactions: beamerbuilder1
DaVinci is great. Certainly the most full function free editor. It does have a signficant learning curve. GoPro studio is easier and dumber.

Most people just want to cut out the boring bits and create some sort of story line. You don't need much of an editor to do that. Changing exposures, adding effects and filters, etc is a different story.

On the mac, SimpleMovieX allows cut and trim, I think it's free / cheap. Even baseline quicktime can trim.

Yeah - I'm not looking to do anything crazy - like you said, just take out the boring parts and add music. It looks to be that iMovie can do 1080p or 4K but not 2.7k.

I don't know of any phone/tablet editor that edits 4k. Not ruling it out but it's certainly not the norm.

The problem is the tablet/phone does not have the hardware needed to edit 4k video. My laptop has an i7 processor with 16GB of RAM and an SSD drive and even it becomes bogged down on 4k. A tablet does not even come close to this.

What does not make sense is to limit the camera hardware to that of what a tablet can edit. Most people use a computer to edit video. If you want to use an app, simply film in 1080.

I have an Acer laptop with a Core I5 1.7ghz, 4GB RAM and Intel HD 4000 video that plays 4K video files just fine using Windows Media Player. My display is only 1920x1080 so I don't technically get to see it in 4K but it does playback just fine. I could still edit and render 4K output if I wanted to. Often times playback issues are related to codecs and/or video drivers rather than the lack of processing power. My point being, you don't have to have a ton of CPU power to playback and edit 4K video. Naturally a faster 6 or 8 core processor will render (from editing) the results faster than a 2 core Core I5 but playback would not be any different assuming drivers and codecs are up to snuff. Just food for thought.

What is frustrating you ?
Why not just record in 1080p then? I don't understand why you think it is dumb of a company to provide a choice of features like 1080p, 2k, 4k ?
Do you even have a device that has a 4k display?

I have an Acer laptop with a Core I5 1.7ghz, 4GB RAM and Intel HD 4000 video that plays 4K video files just fine using Windows Media Player. My display is only 1920x1080 so I don't technically get to see it in 4K but it does playback just fine. I could still edit and render 4K output if I wanted to
Playing is not an issue, we are talking about editing. If you are doing some simple cuts, no problem. It's when you start to add something like slowing down, speeding up or other affects that things start to get dicey. My screen is basically 3k. The real limitation I have is my video card. It's not the best. The last thing you want when editing any _any_ kind of studded or slow down.

Reactions: beamerbuilder1
Well if you bought a Phantom with a 4k camera, wouldn't you be sure you could do something with the video before you bought it?? Or shoot in a lower resolution until you found a program to edit it?? There are other Phantoms that don't have 4k.... I guess I don't understand your beef either....

I thought my PC could handle editing 4K but obviously not. Guess I'll be shooting lower resolution until I can get a better rig.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Reactions: BigAl07
Why not just record in 1080p then? I don't understand why you think it is dumb of a company to provide a choice of features like 1080p, 2k, 4k ?

I just think if they were going to provide 1080p editing they could also provide the capability to edit 4K as well that's all. I don't want them to do it for me as some poster stated, but it would be nice if they would at least provide the tools to edit 4K that's all.

Actually my Samsung television is 4K so I would like to have that capability.

I thought my PC could handle editing 4K but obviously not. Guess I'll be shooting lower resolution until I can get a better rig.

I was under the impression that you wanted DJI's app to edit 4k. As they only made an app for phones and tablets, this was what you thought should be used.

You were talking about a PC? If this is correct, why not simply use any number of free editors to do what you want? Why do you think DJI should put out a PC (and mac) app? They certainly did not indicate that they did when you bought the Phantom.

I was under the impression that you wanted DJI's app to edit 4k. As they only made an app for phones and tablets, this was what you thought should be used.

You were talking about a PC? If this is correct, why not simply use any number of free editors to do what you want? Why do you think DJI should put out a PC (and mac) app? They certainly did not indicate that they did when you bought the Phantom.

Well I wished they had an app that could handle it but I understand most phones and tablets only support 1080p. I know there's some androids that support higher resolution. I'm just a bit frustrated I guess because I can't edit 4K in the DJI Go App and my old PC almost melts down the quad core processors when I try on it. Lower resolution for now I guess.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj