4K 30 FPS and the Late 2016 MBP15

Reaction score
Hi All,

I am using a late 2016 MBP15 (16 GB, 1 TB, 460) to edit (Adobe Premier Pro 2017) and playback videos that was captured with Phantom 4 Pro 4K, 30 FPS, H.265. Files are output as H.264 MP4.

I am noticing that the 4K videos occasionally stutter when played back using Quick Time on this same MBP. The same videos seem to have no issue being played back on far lesser Windows 10 machine.

Is anyone else using a late 2016 MBP? What is your experience with playing back 4K videos?

Donald Barar

Are you formatting your card on your Phantom 4 Pro? If you are, this has been known to cause stuttering. Try formatting in your computer and then shoot some video. See if that solves the issue.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Hi All,

I am using a late 2016 MBP15 (16 GB, 1 TB, 460) to edit (Adobe Premier Pro 2017) and playback videos that was captured with Phantom 4 Pro 4K, 30 FPS, H.265. Files are output as H.264 MP4.

I am noticing that the 4K videos occasionally stutter when played back using Quick Time on this same MBP. The same videos seem to have no issue being played back on far lesser Windows 10 machine.

Is anyone else using a late 2016 MBP? What is your experience with playing back 4K videos?

Donald Barar
I have the 455 Model. How are you even getting Quicktime to play them as it does not support h265? As I have stated in other posts, Apple has decided once again to not lead in this avenue and still do not support h265 in the OS even though the hardware and editing software supports it so this is the missing link. PP will handle the files and the hardware will churn through it but since even PP does not suport hardware acceleration you are really screwed until Apple decides to care. I have bought a cheap W10 laptop in the interim and Cyberlink editing software in the interim as I also have a NX500 (Absolutely gorgeous footage from it) until Apple joins the rest of us, hopefully soon with DJI pushing them.
To answer your last question, I playback 4k videos all the time on my Mac without issue either on a TV. Monitor or downscaled to the built-in 15" screen. These are all h264 in origin through and through. I believe even though you have processed back to h264, Quicktime cannot handle it properly due to encoding issues. Have you tried VLC? I don't believe it will perform any better but its worth a shot.

Gentlemen,

I am aware that QuickTime does not support h.265.

My concern is with the videos that have been processed in Premier Pro and encoded back to h.264/mp4. These videos intermittently stutter on playback in QuickTime (play back fine on a cheap, <$600 HP desktop). I am wondering if I have a hardware issue with my MBP.

Donald Barar

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl