3D for depth perception

Reaction score
Wouldn't that be something?
A drone with the ability (2 cameras?) to feedback a 3 dimensional signal to goggles.
Excuse this post if it already exists but I think it would be so cool if DJI invented this.

I was thinking about the exact same thing. There's no reason a dual camera drone with 3d capability cant be made, but that would be one complicated gimbal assembly and would definitely require a complete redesign of the lower portion of the AC to accommodate side by side cameras that don't interfere with landing gear. Would be very cool!!

Reactions: SHRED
I have been lurking on this forum for a long time, and I have learned a lot, but have not commented. I know a bit about 3D, and I have 2 comments. First, 3D vision would help be helpful in close-in situations, where you are trying to avoid branches or similar. Beyond 12-ft, depth perception from 3D cameras is pretty minimal (unless the stereo base - distance between lenses - is increased). So, for most flying, 3D probably is more trouble than it's worth. There are 3D vision arrangements for in-flight refueling used by the military, to help line up aircraft refueling lines with in-take hardware. Some underwater vehicles also have 3D vision capability to assist with difficult work, such as landing subsea oilwell equipment.
My second comment is, there are some nice, not-too-expensive (and not-too-heavy) cameras available, Check out Vuze cameras. One of the products they make is a 360-degree 3D camera suitable for creating VR images. If we could figure out how to support one of these under a quad-copter, especially with a gimbal, it would make the VR camera much more useful. Rgds, Heron.

I too am concerned about 3D display and wondering if those of you using the goggles experience anything similar to true 3D? I don't see how it is possible with one camera but the goggles have a large following thus must be worthwhile. I have been delaying ordering a set until I was sure about this issue. Can anyone advise?

Thanks,
Jim
WA5TEF

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94