32 channel hack, do i need it?

I'd say yes do the hack. In wifi congested area 8 or 16 channels won't do any justice. Btw the hack breaks FCC rules so for the perfect pilots out there how do you feel now. Also if you fly past 2000 ft don't do it near an airport or close to their descend pathway. That's just dumb and you will have cops knocking on your door.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: GunnyPapa
Yeah 2000ft is safe everywhere else. Its not like helicopters or private planes ever fly at 2000ft. Its not like there are a million phantoms out there making what seems unlikely an inevitability. Oh wait.

You have no idea how much I hate people like you, clueless, selfish and irresponsible. Willing to risk a collision with manned aviation just to post a youtube video of how awesome you are, flying far and high. Giving legislators all the arguments they need to kill this hobby for everyone.

Because of people like you, where I live Im now legally limited to 10m altitude and 1Kg without licence and ~50m and 5 Kg with a license. I could blame our politicians, but since you cant outlaw stupidity, I blame 'phantom pilots' like you primarily. The day will come when your drone refuses to fly BVR, above 400ft, in cities etc. You'll have deserved whats coming, but you probably wont even care and just pick up another hobby, leaving those who have been flying RC responsibly for decades.

Reactions: fizzlefish
Yeah 2000ft is safe everywhere else. Its not like helicopters or private planes ever fly at 2000ft. Its not like there are a million phantoms out there making what seems unlikely an inevitability. Oh wait.

You have no idea how much I hate people like you, clueless, selfish and irresponsible. Willing to risk a collision with manned aviation just to post a youtube video of how awesome you are, flying far and high. Giving legislators all the arguments they need to kill this hobby for everyone.

Because of people like you, where I live Im now legally limited to 10m altitude and 1Kg without licence and ~50m and 5 Kg with a license. I could blame our politicians, but since you cant outlaw stupidity, I blame 'phantom pilots' like you primarily. The day will come when your drone refuses to fly BVR, above 400ft, in cities etc. You'll have deserved whats coming, but you probably wont even care and just pick up another hobby, leaving those who have been flying RC responsibly for decades.

Sounds like you need another hobby then.

Reactions: liketogethigh
Yep. You can forget about the 3.1 miles of distance so as well. They will eventually put it at 1000ft. Thanks to guys like this.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Yep. You can forget about the 3.1 miles of distance so as well. They will eventually put it at 1000ft. Thanks to guys like this.

If every one followed the rules they'd still get regulations because of the fear.

The video hack has barely anything to do with range though. You don't need to be 1600ft up to get range, 400 works just fine in most areas. Just because you use a non standard higher than normal range channel so your video gets what it's advertised to do that doesn't automatically make you an idiot that flies in front of helicopters.. 2 very different things IMO. They are 2 separate antennas and all... every modded phantom isnt out to be a criminal. It is fairly easy to build one without any limitations at all that isn't phantom.

I don't really see the point crippling an otherwise capable device because of a few morons. At that rate we might as well just stifle all innovation.

If the original designers thought like that you'd all be still running rc cars.

Last edited:
Sounds like you need another hobby then.

I may need two new hobbies in fact. Because my other hobby is flying full scale gliders and airplanes, and people like you just decided its ok to put my life at risk flying in the same airspace without following the same rules or having invested in any of the training or SA equipment. I was already used to watching out for large scale RC models around RC fields, often way above legal height, but these drones are literally everywhere (and way harder to spot than a 4 meter RC glider).

I guess there is always fishing.

Why is it that everything people enjoy their always has to be a wiener. You do what you want & quit bitching about what others do.

Does anyone really even need 3.2 miles?

Unless your poor butt can't afford a vehicle to drive where you need to get your shot!! It's scary enough flying out of sight to get a shot and unable to see your surroundings.

End of the day you need to stop worrying about others and be selfish!

I may need two new hobbies in fact. Because my other hobby is flying full scale gliders and airplanes, and people like you just decided its ok to put my life at risk flying in the same airspace without following the same rules or having invested in any of the training or SA equipment. I was already used to watching out for large scale RC models around RC fields, often way above legal height, but these drones are literally everywhere (and way harder to spot than a 4 meter RC glider).

I guess there is always fishing.

I have to drive on the same public roadways as you.

Based on your stuck up ignorant thoughts I assume you're a crappy driver and you put my life at risk.

Just saying.

Well it's a bit different in the air. A fender bender in the air can be fatal. He doesn't have to be so ignorant though assuming nobody else cares because he is a glider pilot. That's a bit rude and makes him look like a j@ck@$s anyway. Some people really are dangerous fools with drones. I skydive and do that on a drop zone so my insurance is valid. No drones allowed there while the plane is in the air or someone would be mobbed for endangering lives. There are lots of rules for that purpose at drop zones. I am not sure how that translates to gliders with respect to launch sites and flight paths but unexpected events while flying can take the fun away real fast.

Everyone that flies learns what we all practice religiously... 'emergency procedures'... except drone pilots are the only one where it isn't required to balance the risk. So I respect what he was trying to communicate , in a much less personally insulted way.

Many new drone owners aren't even aware of the dangers much less respect the personal property damage and loss of life that could happen. All things considered, insurance should be required to keep the public accountable and imo is really the only permanent answer.

Last edited:
I like that you touched on the emergency procedures.

My time on this forum - Everyone goes on great about RTH and its a fail safe if you loose signal. And we have SOOOOO many folk on here that do distance tests and I'm sure many others that fly to the limits in urban settings or sensitive remote settings (like a wind farm for example) and don't even THINK about their RTH. How the height and straight bee-line provides more risk than within controller range and control.

You're right tho - drone pilots very very rarely ever think about anything other than just flying and testing the limits or getting their shot to look cool and make memories!

Many new drone owners aren't even aware of the dangers much less respect the personal property damage and loss of life that could happen. All things considered, insurance should be required to keep the public accountable and imo is really the only permanent answer.

Unfortunately you're correct. I think an insurance requirement should be in effect for "drones" over 2.5lbs.

For those of you wondering, I only get about .5 miles (if lucky) at 390ft with or without the 32 channel modification in my area. That's why I wanted to max the thing out to see what it can do. 2 miles one way, I was stoked! I've got Johnson Space center across the lake so they are a no fly zone. Also have a small airstrip a few miles away that is a no fly zone.

Last edited:
Flew 2 miles one way today! Same altitude!

Is it a smart thing to drive in the rain?
Is it a smart thing to go to the grocery store at night?
Is it a smart thing to buy an iPhone?
Save your time.....

I don't like hijacking a thread.... but for one thing when you registered your aircraft with the FAA you agreed to the advisory to stay below 400 feet AGL. For another you endanger other aircraft, the others are correct when it is people like you that have not common sense or respect for the hobby... and thus the tightening of the rules we are allowed to fly with...

Is it technically "illegal" to fly over 400 feet AGL - no, but it certainly does not help the hobby when an incident happens...

Insurance doesnt prevent accidents. Im not against it (and in fact, it is obligated around here) but does having a car insurance somehow make it ok to drag race around schools ? Do ask your insurance company what premium they would charge to cover your drone if you want to fly at >2000ft above cities with no training, no transponder or flarm equipment.

As for the skydiving exclusion zones; as gliders we have to stay out of those area's too when they are active. Thats not so much to avoid a collision with the airplane, but primarily with the sky divers. They are quite comparable to drones in many ways: you can barely see them in the air, and if you do, its probably too late, they have no collision avoidance or other equipment, even if they see you, they are not really able to avoid a collision with you. The big difference with drones is that skydivers jump in well designated area's at well defined times. If they respect the rules (which Im sure they do, since they care about their own lives), they are easy to avoid, unlike drones flying everywhere any time.

But gliders and most private airplanes do not fly in such well defined area's. In fact, we are typically obligated to stay out of such area's, away from large airports, cities etc to avoid us interfering with larger commercial or military airplanes, so we have to fly relatively low and in the area's where drone operators think its safe or "safe enough". 2000ft is a typical altitude for us. And particularly in a glider you often simply have no choice to fly high even if you wanted to.

Airspace looks huge from the ground, but when I look at my flarm map on a sunny day, its actually very crowded. Have a look yourself, combine this adsb tracker:
http://global.adsbexchange.com/VirtualRadar/desktop.html

With this flarm map during EU day time with good weather, particularly on a weekend:
Spot the gliders!

Realize that doesnt come close to showing all actual air traffic. Now add a million phantoms, many caring about nothing but their maximum range or youtube views... an accident is inevitable. Who wants to be the first making international news for colliding his phantom with an airplane or helicopter? That will get you youtube views I assure you.

Reactions: cypher007
I have to drive on the same public roadways as you.

Based on your stuck up ignorant thoughts I assume you're a crappy driver and you put my life at risk.

Just saying.

We may share the same roads, but we also have to conform to the same rules. We both passed a driver licence, we both tend to stick to speed limits, stop at red lights and keep to the right. You flying your drone BVR at 2000ft is not like being a crappy driver, its like being a 15 year old drunk blind folded ghost driver on the high way.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl