$250~3DPOWER Brushless Gimbal Mount DJI Phantom 2 Vision

Hello,
I have this same gimbal but can not get mine to work. When I power it on with the battery I get a red light on the board and a red light on down by the camera where the cable plugs in. Is this normal? other than the lights. Nothing else works. I have it attached to a 3s 800 battery. Any Suggestions?

Joeheli said:
Hello,
I have this same gimbal but can not get mine to work. When I power it on with the battery I get a red light on the board and a red light on down by the camera where the cable plugs in. Is this normal? other than the lights. Nothing else works. I have it attached to a 3s 800 battery. Any Suggestions?

I am going to need more info to be able to help.

I dont have the Tarco/Taco Gimbal. I have one I built myself using TRD GoPro Gimbal parts and made them work for the Vision camera. By the looks of the pics mine and the Tarco/Taco gimbal is the same controller.

First I am not going to assume it is plug and play. You are going to have to set it up. So:

1. Are you sure the 3cell you are using to power it is fully charged?

2. Have you downloaded the software for the gimbal controller and calibrated it?

3. My LED on the control board is Blue, yours could be red. Cant say without having one in my hands to look at.

4. I am not sure what the second red led is that you are referring to is. Can you take a pic?

I don't know how much you know about gimbals so I am going to give you a brief explanation what is what.

You have the main control board which tells the motors how to move. It is big circuit board attached to the mount. There should be a small circuit board that attaches to the camera by the pictures I believe this is built into the gimbal plug that plugs into the back of the camera. Although I could be totally wrong on that, doesn't look like enough wires. This is the IMU which actually means it is the "sensor board". It senses where the camera is, how its moving and tells the control board, which then moves the motors to maintain position. Mine is a separate board and is attached to the top of the camera. Orientation of this is very important and once set up can't be rotated. Once it is positioned it you must calibrate it via the gimbal software. Calibration sets the home position so it knows what level is. Any commands we give it to move ads or subtracts from that home position. So a good calibration is important. Then after powering up you have to give the gimbal time to initialize so it can find that Level Home position you set during calibration. Hopefully the manufacturer set some basic gain setting for the vision camera. If not you are going to have to play with them to get them right. Weight and balance is important as well. You may have to move the camera forward or backwards slightly to get it right. With no power applied the camera should sit at any angle you put it with out moving. If all is right it should take very little effort for the motors to move the camera. If it is out of balance the motors will always be trying to keep the camera in proper position, wasting energy and causing the image to not be stable.

so there is a seperate calibration software that I should have used to calibrate the gimbal instead of the dji assistant software? not that it matters because i went back to stock and sending this gimbal back.. i wish tacorc would have provided more information and instructions for this gimbal. if set up properly it looked as if it would have been a nice unit but i installed this without knowing what the heck i was doing as far as the configuration is concerned. live and learn i guess..

tizzl10 said:
so there is a seperate calibration software that I should have used to calibrate the gimbal instead of the dji assistant software? not that it matters because i went back to stock and sending this gimbal back.. i wish tacorc would have provided more information and instructions for this gimbal. if set up properly it looked as if it would have been a nice unit but i installed this without knowing what the heck i was doing as far as the configuration is concerned. live and learn i guess..

Yes all gimbals have separate control board software. RotorPixel, DE all the 3rd party GoPro Gimbals. Someone posted a link around page 10 of this thread that should lead you to it. Some the more expensive Gimbals will come pre configured but that will only get you 95% there. To get the best result with any gimbal you have to fine tune it to your particular machine. The gimbal software inside the Phantom if for the the single axis servo you aren't using anymore and you don't want it giving false movement commands to the Taco Gimbal. Which is why I said to turn off the camera gains inside of the Phantom Software.

I'll take it off your hands if you just don't want to mess with it. :D

Mattkaine said:
tizzl10 said:

Yes all gimbals have separate control board software. RotorPixel, DE all the 3rd party GoPro Gimbals. Someone posted a link around page 10 of this thread that should lead you to it. Some the more expensive Gimbals will come pre configured but that will only get you 95% there. To get the best result with any gimbal you have to fine tune it to your particular machine. The gimbal software inside the Phantom if for the the single axis servo you aren't using anymore and you don't want it giving false movement commands to the Taco Gimbal. Which is why I said to turn off the camera gains inside of the Phantom Software.

I'll take it off your hands if you just don't want to mess with it. :D

lol..sending it back to taco for a full refund. :/

Matt
To answer your questions 1&2 yes. when it is plugged into the usb it works. when I unplug it and restart the quad nothing working on gimbal. Yess I have saved and wrote to board. My problem is something in software not the gimbal it's self.

3. Adjusted gyro setting via gyro software. IMPORTANT in the Phantom Software under camera settings you must turn gains to ZERO. You want the gyro controller doing all the controlling. Otherwise you can cause a feedback loop causing occilations.

I done the first part of 3. Everything in camera settings should be 0? gimbal = ON

Has anyone got this gimbal to work yet? if so could you send me your file for the control board. This would give me a good starting point to write to the board
Thanks

So close, but still so far... Customs here in the Netherlands are so slow....
5-Mar-2014 Hong Kong Item posted and is being processed.
5-Mar-2014 Hong Kong The item arrived at processing center.
5-Mar-2014 Hong Kong The item left Hong Kong for its destination on 6-Mar-2014
7-Mar-2014 Netherlands Arrived and is being processed.
7-Mar-2014 Netherlands Pending customs inspection.

.. It's the 10th now.

P2V has been sitting open on the desk for 2 days now (waiting for the Gimbal), and flying was only with my Hovering Flip FPV (also a lot of fun)

Mattkaine said:
I couldn't wait for Rotorpixel and wasn't going to pay the DE price so I built my own.

http://youtu.be/buw0i9dfbU4

Going to buy this one just because it looks cleaner. I've got same board running mine so here is what I did.

1. Tapped the battery terminals where the battery connects to the board. Soldered a JST connector that matched what the gimbal controller came with. This way I could easily remove it later. Ran the power wire up the existing hole.

2. The servo plug. I figured out stock P2V plug is a micro JTS motor connector. Wow hobbies sells them 10 for under $4. I have servo connector crimpers so I just attached signal and ground and plugged the pitch control into where the Camera servo normally goes. You can easily connect a standard servo type cable from gyro control board to F2 to achieve same thing.

3. Adjusted gyro setting via gyro software. IMPORTANT in the Phantom Software under camera settings you must turn gains to ZERO. You want the gyro controller doing all the controlling. Otherwise you can cause a feedback loop causing occilations.

4. Occilations: I figured out the stock dampers are TOO soft to carry the extra weight of the gimbal. To fix get some regular ear plugs roll them as tight as you can get them and slide one down inside each of the dampers. Will fix the violent occilations. I believe it is a feedback loop between what the phantom is doing and the slight delay of when the Gyro senses and responds. Needless to say a few ear plugs fixes it.

I hope these tips help. I am pretty happy with my results so far.

I think that's this as hoped a lot of us out so a big Thank you . I have read I think about everthing there is to read on this gimbal and board and your post so far makes a lot a sense. is there any way you can put up a digran of the wiring plus how you got power to the stock p2v camera

Mattkaine said:
Joeheli said:
Hello,

I am going to need more info to be able to help.

I dont have the Tarco/Taco Gimbal. I have one I built myself using TRD GoPro Gimbal parts and made them work for the Vision camera. By the looks of the pics mine and the Tarco/Taco gimbal is the same controller.

First I am not going to assume it is plug and play. You are going to have to set it up. So:

1. Are you sure the 3cell you are using to power it is fully charged?

2. Have you downloaded the software for the gimbal controller and calibrated it?

3. My LED on the control board is Blue, yours could be red. Cant say without having one in my hands to look at.

4. I am not sure what the second red led is that you are referring to is. Can you take a pic?

I don't know how much you know about gimbals so I am going to give you a brief explanation what is what.

You have the main control board which tells the motors how to move. It is big circuit board attached to the mount. There should be a small circuit board that attaches to the camera by the pictures I believe this is built into the gimbal plug that plugs into the back of the camera. Although I could be totally wrong on that, doesn't look like enough wires. This is the IMU which actually means it is the "sensor board". It senses where the camera is, how its moving and tells the control board, which then moves the motors to maintain position. Mine is a separate board and is attached to the top of the camera. Orientation of this is very important and once set up can't be rotated. Once it is positioned it you must calibrate it via the gimbal software. Calibration sets the home position so it knows what level is. Any commands we give it to move ads or subtracts from that home position. So a good calibration is important. Then after powering up you have to give the gimbal time to initialize so it can find that Level Home position you set during calibration. Hopefully the manufacturer set some basic gain setting for the vision camera. If not you are going to have to play with them to get them right. Weight and balance is important as well. You may have to move the camera forward or backwards slightly to get it right. With no power applied the camera should sit at any angle you put it with out moving. If all is right it should take very little effort for the motors to move the camera. If it is out of balance the motors will always be trying to keep the camera in proper position, wasting energy and causing the image to not be stable.

do you have any flight videos with this gimbal?

Okay. Just received the gimbal.
The weight of the gimbal (without camera) is 176 grams.
Controller is a BGC 3.1 MOS Large Current Two-axis Brushless Gimbal Controller Driver alexmos
http://www.goodluckbuy.com/bgc-3-1-mos- ... ensor.html

Basically this gimbal is a "copy" of the goodluck gimbal

My gimbal did come with the pitch control wires.

I'll be putting the gimbal on my P2V later today.

Okay... It took me about 1 hour to attach the gimbal to my P2V.

Here is my 1st test video (nothing special)

http://youtu.be/MGqojNsiWuM

As seen I still need to play a bit with the gains (max and minimum), and tidy-up some cables from the controller.

Compared to the more expensive P2V gimbals this ugly duckling is doing just as a good job with what it is supposed to do!
When I have some more time I might actually move the controller inside the P2V (it does look that it might just fit!)

very promising

thanks
Noël said:

As seen I still need to play a bit with the gains (max and minimum), and tidy-up some cables from the controller.

Compared to the more expensive P2V gimbals this ugly duckling is doing just as a good job with what it is supposed to do!
When I have some more time I might actually move the controller inside the P2V (it does look that it might just fit!)

Noël said:

Does look promising

Noël said:

it looks ok and from what I have seen of the RP gimbal just as good. it looks like it was a bit windy when you did the test flight so not bad at all for the money who cares what it looks like and when its 200ft or 400ft up who is going to see it any way

Did some gain tuning, and it's better now!
Will make a better video tomorrow.

I am now trying to get the Basecam software to connect to the controller (for some more fine tuning)

Unfortunately the Basecam GUI (version 2.40 b7) does not want to connect.
It's giving me a GUI vs board firmware warning. I guess that I need an older Basecam GUI.
Only problem is that I can not find it....

It looks like the controller itself is running firmware version 0.53 b4.

As usual I always get it working after posting a message :)
Basecam GUI: 2.2b2 connects fine to the gimpal

I'm now off playing with it.

Noël said:
Did some gain tuning, and it's better now!
Will make a better video tomorrow.

I am now trying to get the Basecam software to connect to the controller (for some more fine tuning)

Unfortunately the Basecam GUI (version 2.40 b7) does not want to connect.
It's giving me a GUI vs board firmware warning. I guess that I need an older Basecam GUI.
Only problem is that I can not find it....

It looks like the controller itself is running firmware version 0.53 b4.
let me know when you find a GUI that works with that version... I too am looking.
Thanks

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart