1st crash after 120+ flights

Reaction score
I had my first crash with my p3p this afternoon which has me concerned as to the cause and future reliability of the quad.
After an uneventful takeoff, at between 200 & 300 yards I lost connection without warning. I have lost connection before but it was when I was reaching operational distance limits and was fully prepared for the quad to perform the return to home procedure.
In this case when i received the "aircraft disconnected" warning I was not prepared for Rth to initiate and the quad ascended directly into a tree.
Damage was minimal but I am still very concerned.

Why did it disconnect without warning?
Can my flight log shed any light as to why I had the failure?
Is the damage possibly covered under warranty?

Not all firmware is up to date but have flown at least a dozen times without incedence, could this be the cause?

I was using the most up to date version of dji go on an iPad mini II.

Thank you for reading and any help will be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Ouch. Don't fly near trees is my only advice. I'm always 30-50 feet above the tallest trees that I can see on my downlink so I know I won't hit anything

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

If you'd like us to comment on it, please post a link back here after you upload it.

Reactions: konidair
"aircraft disconnected" warning I was not prepared for Rth to initiate and the quad ascended directly into a tree.

How did you get into that kind of situation? In a thread several months ago here someone was flying low and briefly lost connection and the AC dutifully did RTH by ascending to a tree.

The quad did what it was supposed to do when the connection was lost. It is designed to ascend to the Rth altitude before going to the home point. When I lost signal I was over the water but somehow it appears the quad drifted toward shore into a wooded area before it initiated Rth.

Reactions: matti
I am doing my best to get the flight log uploaded. 1please letmeknow if this is what you need

Attachments

• DJIFlightRecord_2017-01-06_[10-48-20].txt
    314.2 KB · Views: 325
  • DJIFlightRecord_2017-01-06_[17-48-13].txt
    8.7 KB · Views: 294
  • DJIFlightRecord_2017-01-06_[17-48-26].txt
    32.4 KB · Views: 351
  • DJIFlightRecord_2017-01-06_[17-51-42].txt
    5.9 KB · Views: 317
  • DJIFlightRecord_2017-01-06_[17-52-00].txt
    16.7 KB · Views: 318
    314.2 KB · Views: 358

Attachments

314.2 KB · Views: 323
  • DJIFlightRecord_2017-01-06_[17-48-13].txt
    8.7 KB · Views: 306
  • DJIFlightRecord_2017-01-06_[17-48-26].txt
    32.4 KB · Views: 292
  • DJIFlightRecord_2017-01-06_[17-51-42].txt
    5.9 KB · Views: 344
  • DJIFlightRecord_2017-01-06_[17-52-00].txt
    16.7 KB · Views: 278
Is it this flight that you had issue?
Phantom Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com

Would you remember whether the light on your RC was Red or Green at the time the aircraft was disconnected? What exact message did you see on your Go app?

This was the flight where I had the issue.
The exact message was "Aircrft Disconnected"
I do not recall the color of the light on the transmitter

Seeing how the altitude was only between 8 and 15 ft approaching a quarter mile away, I would say you had interference from the ground, trees, or something. What was the angle of the RC antennas in relation to the AC?

Here is a quick video of the incident. I lost signal about 20 feet offshore

Last edited:
This crazy pelican decided to buzz the quad at the beginning of the same flight as the one I crashed on..... I have poured over the possibilities but there seems to be no correlation between the 2, just a crazy *** bird and a pelican ;)

This crazy pelican decided to buzz the quad at the beginning of the same flight as the one I crashed on..... I have poured over the possibilities but there seems to be no correlation between the 2, just a crazy *** bird and a pelican ;)

Maybe the crazy bird followed and attacked your phantom.....

Here is a quick video of the incident. I lost signal about 20 feet offshore

I presume you were turning the AC when you lost signal so were you on the other side of the trees running along the beach? If so, I'd suggest you lost the signal due to them blocking it, plus being so low to the ground didn't help either..

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl