14mp not 20mp

Status
Not open for further replies.
it claims an effective 20mp which is technically correct. The issue shouldn't be about false advertising, it should be about removing that awful preset in Adobe Camera Raw

Advertising an effective 20MP is false advertising, effective resolution is the number of pixels actually used to make the image and in the case of the P4P that appears to be 17MP which is then cropped to 15MP or so then resized up to 20MP. The effective pixels then are 15MP.

If other camera companies were like DJI then they could use 3MP sensors and just upsize them every couple of years to 12,16, 24MP without actually changing the sensor.

For those saying 'show me a photo this has caused a problem with', this effects every single photo you take that you want to print over 12" or so. Put a P4P photo beside a Sony RX100 MkV photo on 18"x12" print and you will see a clear difference in detail and sharpness.

Reactions: AyeYo
Don't take the picture in 16/9 format.
If you do "4/3" format it will come out 20mp

Are you sure about that? Think again. 16:9 will never be 20mp on a 4:3 sensor, it can't be as the top and bottom are discarded- that's obvious. What isn't obvious is that DJI aren't giving you all the pixels in 4:3, they are doing this to hide the fact the lens has issues, principally severe vignetimg.

It doesn't matter what aspect ratio you use, the problem is a physical limitation from using a lens that is unsuitable. The camera always crops the image to remove the distorted and dark corners that come with using a lens not matched well with sensor.

It is the same process as Parrot use in the Bebop, they use a fisheye lens and a high resolution sensor, then just crop and correct the raw file to get a smaller rectilinear image. At least Parrot were honest and upfront about doing this to your photos. DJI are hiding the interpolation process that actually gives you a false 20MP.

I thought the sensor in the camera was a 3:2 size and not 4:3?
When looking at the settings you get the largest pixel count when you select 3:2, I do not have the drone to hand just now to check tho.

I thought the sensor in the camera was a 3:2 size and not 4:3?
When looking at the settings you get the largest pixel count when you select 3:2, I do not have the drone to hand just now to check tho.
Seemingly yes, a 1" sensor being 13.2w by 8.8h (mm) . You should get a 17.7mp image from 4:3 crop (assuihg the sensor is 20mp).

For those saying 'show me a photo this has caused a problem with', this effects every single photo you take that you want to print over 12" or so. Put a P4P photo beside a Sony RX100 MkV photo on 18"x12" print and you will see a clear difference in detail and sharpness.
Nice exaggeration.
The P4 pro produces images that print well beyond 18 x 12 with excellent quality.
Perhaps you need to pay more attention to focusing the image?

Nice exaggeration.
The P4 pro produces images that print well beyond 18 x 12 with excellent quality.
Perhaps you need to pay more attention to focusing the image?

It's not an exaggeration, it is a fact. You can print above 18x12 no problem, my point is that if DJI were not cropping the 20MP image and using interpolation to up-res it back to 20MP then it would be sharper and more detailed. That's just a scientific fact.

Scaling a smaller image into a larger size can never increase the amount of detail present in the smaller image, it can only make the pixels look less digitised and jagged at the edges if it is done well.

Unless of course you think having a pointless 'digital zoom' is just as good as having an optical zoom lens.

Unless of course you think having a pointless 'digital zoom' is just as good as having an optical zoom lens.
Of course I don't think digital zoom is any good.
On the ground I use a 36MP Nikon D800 and a bag full of Nikon lenses- I know what photographic quality is.
And although it's not quite in that league, I prefer shooting with the Phantom because it goes to so many places the Nikon has no chance.
The image quality is much better than some folks here would have you believe.

It's not an exaggeration, it is a fact. You can print above 18x12 no problem, my point is that if DJI were not cropping the 20MP image and using interpolation to up-res it back to 20MP then it would be sharper and more detailed. That's just a scientific fact.

That's pretty much the point I've been making - I would far rather have an 'honest' 15mp image as the output rather than DJI playing top trumps with pixel numbers - they would be much easier to work with

Using a different raw editor gives a workaround but we shouldn't be having to use workarounds on 'raw' files

You have to use 3:2 to get 20 MP
3:2 5472 x 3648 = 20MP
4:3 4864 x 3648 = 17.7MP
16:9 5472 x 3078 = 16.8MP

the sensors actual resolution (taken from unaltered raw files) is actually 5464 x 3640 which is (roughly) 19.9mp :)

the sensors actual resolution (taken from unaltered raw files) is actually 5464 x 3640 which is (roughly) 19.9mp :)
What's your point? 5472 x 3648 = 19,961,856 pixels.
That's near enough to 20MP for the purposes of discussion.
If the difference between 19.9 and 20 is something you'd argue about, that explains the way this thread is going.
There are things that really matter and there are things that are something-nothing.
I won't waste my energy on trivial non-issues.

I'm not arguing about the sensor size but don't you find it slightly weird that the photos outputted (jpeg and DNG) are actually bigger than the sensor - no matter how many times you (deliberately) miss the point that should at least set some alarm bells ringing.

no matter how many times you (deliberately) miss the point that should at least set some alarm bells ringing.
The only point I get is that my P4pro is a great camera that I use to create memorable images.
Despite listening to all the whinging over and again, I still haven't noticed anything worth complaining about from mine.

The only point I get is that my P4pro is a great camera that I use to create memorable images.
Despite listening to all the whinging over and again, I still haven't noticed anything worth complaining about from mine.
Yeah I'm a pro photog for 32 years now Meta4. And I'm not upset at all at this slight discrepancy in pixel count used from this sensor! It's what they had to do with this lens and sensor in this tiny small case imo. I'm sure DJI is trying to walk a fine line with this price point too as to not piss off pros with much more expensive gear and having so many be able to do it as well for much less money in equipment! But I'm totally thrilled to have it's quality in the air where I want it for 1500 bucks. Can I tell the diff in a 24x36 made from my P4P up next to the Canon 5D4 that I use every day? Heck yes! But the P4P is pretty darn good though! But that's 5,000 for body and lense! No one else does it better than DJI yet that I know of this price point. All kinds of products specs are fudged constantly to sell. Just like batteries are supposed to be 30 min. And we get 26-27. No big deal at all.
But I would bet that DJI is working on a diff lens as we speak that will be better designed for this sensor.

Last edited:
Reactions: GadgetGuy and Meta4

It's not whinging - it's people discussing an issue - it doesn't affect you, great, move on and don't jump on all these threads calling people whingers.

The lens/sensor issue is roughly the same as you being cajoled into using a DX lens on your FX camera - you'd still get good pictures but you would know that the camera was capable of much more

Some times, it is what has to be done to make it work, not what people think should have been done. Until they get a lens that can fully illuminate the sensor, there must be cropping or other methods to improve the image. We do not take darks, bias and flats, to correct for all of this like I do with Astrophotography, if we did, we could do it ourselves.
BQ

Reactions: KevMo Photog
Some times, it is what has to be done to make it work, not what people think should have been done. Until they get a lens that can fully illuminate the sensor, there must be cropping or other methods to improve the image. We do not take darks, bias and flats, to correct for all of this like I do with Astrophotography, if we did, we could do it ourselves.
BQ

That's fine. So advertise it as a 15MP camera.

Reactions: CianMcLiam
Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dlr11164