12 volt power inverter to charge batteries from my car?

I've not missed anything. I don't know the temp but let us just say that it is not good to charge a DJI battery when it is 100F. You car is 60 and the battery is 80F, it will charge just fine and it is safe. The car is 120F and the battery is 80F, it will charge just fine and it is safe. The car is 140F and the battery is 101F. The battery won't charge and it is safe. Since the battery _will not charge_ when it is hot enough to cause it damage, it is safe around any ambient temperature. It is not any safer or better to charge a battery that is cooler as long as it is not hot enough to cause it damage. As the smart batteries won't charge when they get to that point, it is never less safe to charge in higher ambient temperatures.
I had elected to not bother responding as we were going around in circles- unfortunately some who read your incorrect information may be disadvantaged by relying on it. Charging LiION chemistry at elevated temperatures decreases lifespan and increases the risk of failure (gas generation may cause rigid cells like 18650 cells to rupture and pouch cells to swell and vent violently. I am sorry to disabuse you of your notion however it is always less safe to charge at higher temperatures.

Hey DOC.........are you some what confused to the s i m p l e q u e s t i o n that you had asked....I sure would be and i'd sure Not know what to do....have you By Now come Up to a conclusion to the need ?

The OP got answers, made his choice, and bought a (monster) inverter long ago... but his thread lives on - they do that sometimes. ;)

Reactions: MotorCycle-Man
Hey DOC.........are you some what confused to the s i m p l e q u e s t i o n that you had asked....I sure would be and i'd sure Not know what to do....have you By Now come Up to a conclusion to the need ?

Yep, but i bought what i did because ,none of my acc sockets in the dash or in the trunk are powered with the key off. I will run my own heavy power and ground wires to the trunk myself, I have experience in that.
The couple of times I've used it since I got it, it has performed very well without any effort. Heck the cooling fan hasn't even had to come on yet.
I'm happy with it !!

Charging LiION chemistry at elevated temperatures decreases lifespan and increases the risk of failure (gas generation may cause rigid cells like 18650 cells to rupture and pouch cells to swell and vent violently. I am sorry to disabuse you of your notion however it is always less safe to charge at higher temperatures.
But as I've said many times, I don't disagree with that at all and I never have. You need to understand this in order to understand what I've been stating. Again... let's understand that what you stated is a fact and that I've always agreed with.

Heat kills a battery when charging but if the battery is never allowed to heat up to that point it will never be an issue. I'll give an example in case this is not clear... let us say a battery might start to be damaged at 100F (you can replace that with any number if you like). If the battery is never allowed to charge at 100F, it will never be damaged while charging. Now lets move to the next step.

If the air around the battery is 50F, 70F, 100F or 500F it won't make a bit of difference if the battery won't allow itself to be charged if it is 100F or higher. Please read that again. If the air around the battery is 50F and the battery is 90F, it is 100% safe for the battery to charge. If the air around the battery is 100F and the battery is 90F, it is 100% safe for the battery to charge. If the air around the battery is 200F and the battery is (somehow) only 90F, it is 100% safe to charge. If the air is 50F/100F/200F and the battery is 101F, it won't charge.

Now to my point this entire time.... the battery is no less safe to charge based on the air around it. This is because the battery _won't allow itself to be charged if it would cause it damage_. The temp of the air around it is not what causes the damage... it is the temp of the battery and if the battery _won't ever allow itself to charge at a temp that allows damage_, it is no less safe to charge a battery regardless of the air temp around it.

Y
But as I've said many times, I don't disagree with that at all and I never have. You need to understand this in order to understand what I've been stating. Again... let's understand that what you stated is a fact and that I've always agreed with.

Heat kills a battery when charging but if the battery is never allowed to heat up to that point it will never be an issue. I'll give an example in case this is not clear... let us say a battery might start to be damaged at 100F (you can replace that with any number if you like). If the battery is never allowed to charge at 100F, it will never be damaged while charging. Now lets move to the next step.

If the air around the battery is 50F, 70F, 100F or 500F it won't make a bit of difference if the battery won't allow itself to be charged if it is 100F or higher. Please read that again. If the air around the battery is 50F and the battery is 90F, it is 100% safe for the battery to charge. If the air around the battery is 100F and the battery is 90F, it is 100% safe for the battery to charge. If the air around the battery is 200F and the battery is (somehow) only 90F, it is 100% safe to charge. If the air is 50F/100F/200F and the battery is 101F, it won't charge.

Now to my point this entire time.... the battery is no less safe to charge based on the air around it. This is because the battery _won't allow itself to be charged if it would cause it damage_. The temp of the air around it is not what causes the damage... it is the temp of the battery and if the battery _won't ever allow itself to charge at a temp that allows damage_, it is no less safe to charge a battery regardless of the air temp around it.
You are reducing the life of the cells and increasing the chance of a failure during charging at temperatures well below where the temperature protection activates (its around 50deg C in the phantom packs). This is a battery chemistry issue- not DJI specific.

You are reducing the life of the cells and increasing the chance of a failure during charging at temperatures well below where the temperature protection activates (its around 50deg C in the phantom packs). This is a battery chemistry issue- not DJI specific.
Can you provide any documentation to support this?

Edit: The prior conversation was about safety while charging. I guess it's changing now.

Can you provide any documentation to support this?

Edit: The prior conversation was about safety while charging. I guess it's changing now.

I'm not changing anything- or guessing. You have some belief that that elevated temperature introduces no additional risk of LiPO battery failure or performance degradation which is incorrect. I don't have any documentation on hand but feel free to do your own research. You might start with the JEITA (Japan Electronics and Information Technology Association) guidelines on safe LiPO charging. They recommend significant reductions in charge voltage above 40 degC, i think down to 4.1V at 45. This is for safety. This would get us nowhere near full charge on a phantom pack that uses HV LiPO cells. Do what you like with your own packs but please don't recommend to others that charging at elevated temps has no detrimental effects or risks. Some, me included, like to get long term reliable performance from our batteries.

I'm not changing anything- or guessing. You have some belief that that elevated temperature introduces no additional risk of LiPO battery failure or performance degradation which is incorrect.
Elevated ambient temps, yes.... as they don't adversely affect the charging temp of the battery itself.

I don't have any documentation on hand but feel free to do your own research.
So I did. Below is one chart showing charging temps that are safe (again, this was what my comment was about):

upload_2018-7-25_8-27-47.png

As noted, safe charging temps are as high as 45C/113F. I've not looked in awhile but you state Phantom batteries won't charge above 50C. This is actually DJI's recommendation on the upper limit of the _environment_ to use the battery in, not the upper charging limit. I'm pretty sure the upper charging temp is around 40C-45C. DJ recommends that the battery not be charged when hotter then 40C so I don't see why their automatic cut off would be any higher then that amount.

So if the DJI battery is safe to charge up to 45C and it won't charge when any hotter then that, they it is not any more safe to charge at that temp regardless of the ambiants air around it. The ambient air could be 20C, it could be 70C.... as long as the battery is under 45C it is just as safe to charge.

Just to be clear, here is the statement that I initially commented on:

"because it makes sense that it's safer(er) to charge batteries in 70*s-80*s air than at 90*s-100*+..."

I then needed to go on and keep explaining that my statement was nothing about the temp of the battery or any possibility of reduced cycles, etc. It was simply that the ambient air temp does not matter as the battery itself won't charge when it's temp is a safety issue. It is no less safe to charge based on ambient air temp. This is only affected by the battery temp and the battery won't charge when that is an issue.

You might start with the JEITA (Japan Electronics and Information Technology Association) guidelines on safe LiPO charging. They recommend significant reductions in charge voltage above 40 degC, i think down to 4.1V at 45. This is for safety. This would get us nowhere near full charge on a phantom pack that uses HV LiPO cells.
Interesting.... but do they also state that a battery is less safe to charge it is at 40C and/or more safe to charge at temps under that amount? After all, this is the _only_ thing I've been talking about. Or even more on point, do they state that it is more save to charge a battery when the surrounding/ambient air is cooler? Again, the only thing I mentioned. If DJI's batteries won't charge at 40C or higher then you are simply agreeing with my one and only statement that I have been making. I'd argue even if they are set not to charge at 45C then this still applies.

I understand your argument works when you change this to a reduced life of the battery or an issue with batteries charged above the recommended temps but you are simply changing the conversation from what I was discussing.

It is no more dangerous to charge a DJI battery when ambient air temputure is higher as the battery will stop charging based on its own temp if there is _any_ type of risk.

I think there is a language barrier here. You two agree on the physics of the battery. It is just somatics that you two are trying to work out.

So the topic of this post has been resolved, I am closing this post!
Oh, I can’t do that can I? Lol
Language barrier? Not for me. If you were to suggest it was pointless in my persevering I would agree with you.... @KCadby had it right when he said it was safer and preferable to charge LiPO's at lower temperatures. He still is. The only semantics here are with @tcope trying to defend his original wrong assumptions. Im out.... Given up LOL

Reactions: dirkclod
I second this inverter. I’ve charged Phantom, Mavic and Crystalski battery chargers with it in 15 or so different rental cars. Not one single problem and I never had to walk home!

I would recommend that you go with either a Bestek or Tripp Lite brand. I've found that other brands will result in the inverter tripping and turning off very easily. That is, those other brands will make claims of being able to deliver certain wattage but those claims are really not accurate.

I run the following charger and can charge two Phantom batteries at the same time using the black 3 battery charger:

https://www.amazon.com/BESTEK-300W-...ocphy=9029683&hvtargid=pla-391702780059&psc=1

I run it through the power port (lighter plug in) inside my car and truck. I prefer an inverter to a dedicated Phantom battery charger as the inverter is multi purpose. I can use for other things as well.

How long does this take to charge a battery discharged down to 30 percent?
If you looked at the link it tells you.... 1 hour 10 min for battery. Remote Controller: 3 hours 20 min. It’s 90W is not much behind your wall socket power supply for charging.

If you looked at the link it tells you.... 1 hour 10 min for battery. Remote Controller: 3 hours 20 min. It’s 90W is not much behind your wall socket power supply for charging.
I didn't read it. Admittedly just looked at your pic and knew I wanted one. Better look next time. Thanks for pointing this out this early in the am

I didn't read it. Admittedly just looked at your pic and knew I wanted one. Better look next time. Thanks for pointing this out this early in the am
Have a quick look when you get a sec- all the specifications are there. An hour and a bit from 30% will be about right. High capacity packs a little longer.

How long does this take to charge a battery discharged down to 30 percent?

I see that you have already gotten answers to this. In my case, the charger was always used in a superjeep in remote areas where we drive, stop, photograph, drive, stop...As a result, I never formed an idea of how long it took to charge. But boy, was the charger a godsend.

I see that you have already gotten answers to this. In my case, the charger was always used in a superjeep in remote areas where we drive, stop, photograph, drive, stop...As a result, I never formed an idea of how long it took to charge. But boy, was the charger a godsend.
Thank you sir.

I tried a cheap, square wave inverter but my charger got hot and produced a bad coil whine! I used it for only 30 minutes total but I think my charger gets hotter now than before!

I'd stay away from non-sinusoidal inverters and afraid I'll pay the price for this experiment with a new charger soon...

Also do not forget: inverters have about 80% efficiency then you add another lossy element (your charger). If your power budget is slim, with a car charger your supply will last 20% longer.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnndyManuka