Zenmuse H3-2D to Immersion FPV TX Cable

MKheng said:
Bought one of these to connect my Zenmuse to my FPV TX.
Really impressed and makes a very neat job.
http://bit.ly/1aCWmDm

Be sure to let us know how it works out. This configuration suggests that the tip plug is receiving 'V+' (~12 v whatever your 3s battery is putting out) while some DJI docs indicate that it's not outputting V+. However the fact that this cable appears to have been developed specifically for this application, suggests it will work. Cost (~$15US) seems a little high for a passive cable, but then if 'it just works' it may be worth it to many.

I have a Zenmuse mounted but have not hooked up a VTx yet. However since I used the Phantom upgrade board, I never installed the GCU module. The upgrade board has a 3 conductor cable that supplies Video Out, V+, and Ground. Since it's functionally identical to the original Phantom mother board + PMU v2 + GCU, it would make sense that both provide the V+ output. Guess you'll know for sure soon enough...

Steve

Hi, it works fine and does a really neat job. I actually sent the guy the link to the Zenmuse manual to check the wiring. I've also since wired the power to the FPV TX to the auxiliary power cable inside the Phantom so I don't have to keep plugging the TX into to balance plug on the battery. It's all looking neat now and works a treat.

Be sure to let us know how it works out. This configuration suggests that the tip plug is receiving 'V+' (~12 v whatever your 3s battery is putting out) while some DJI docs indicate that it's not outputting V+. However the fact that this cable appears to have been developed specifically for this application, suggests it will work. Cost (~$15US) seems a little high for a passive cable, but then if 'it just works' it may be worth it to many.

I have a Zenmuse mounted but have not hooked up a VTx yet. However since I used the Phantom upgrade board, I never installed the GCU module. The upgrade board has a 3 conductor cable that supplies Video Out, V+, and Ground. Since it's functionally identical to the original Phantom mother board + PMU v2 + GCU, it would make sense that both provide the V+ output. Guess you'll know for sure soon enough...

Steve

Steve,
I'm about to install my Phantom upgrade board. Do you know what cable Ill need to plug the video out on the board directly into the transmitter? http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... 00mw_.html
Thanks,
R

Videothis: I have just received this identical transmitter. As you have also discovered, there are no instructions with this unit. Have you successfully hooked it up yet? I thought I'd ask before I start an extensive experimentation program.

bern said:
Videothis: I have just received this identical transmitter. As you have also discovered, there are no instructions with this unit. Have you successfully hooked it up yet? I thought I'd ask before I start an extensive experimentation program.

You're in for some soldering -- I'm not aware of anyone making a custom cable for this yet.

Short answer, using the DJI-supplied 3-wire cable that comes with the upgrade board:

Yellow wire on the DJI cable -> VID (yellow wire on Immersion 5-pin cable)
Brown wire on DJI cable -> GND (black wire on the Immersion 5-pin cable)
Red wire on DJI cable -> NOT USED (but see below...)

I recommend you don't power the Immersion from the DJI 3-pin cable because the wires are very small and the Immersion draws a fair bit of current. Since the upgrade board doesn't have the AUX power leads that come on the original main board (that little gray/red wire that was originally tucked into the white grommet between the landing strut screws), you have a few options:

1) Resolder that old AUX power lead onto the upgrade board (connect to any GND and Vcc pads, e.g., where the battery leads are soldered in or to any ESC pads) and put a JST connector on it so you can plug it into the power cable that comes with the Immersion.

2) Cut the red JST connector off the Immersion power cable and solder red and black directly to the main board. Plug the other end into the Immersion 2-pin power jack.

3) (not recommended) Run the RED wire from the DJI 3-pin video out to the BATT (red) wire on the Immersion 2-pin power connector and tie the black wire on the Immersion 2-pin to the brown wire you've already connected to the other GND (black) line on the Immersion 5-pin. (All three grounds are tied together.) But as I said, not recommended due to a lot of power draw across very fine wires.

Thank god I found your post. I have been looking all over for an explanation of the 3 pin cable. I was going to guess on the colors, but I wanted confirmation. Why can't DJI english-speaking guys produce a decent installation manual/video?

Well, that's a super question. :) I think it would be the best investment possible for DJI's customer service reputation if they'd spend $500 on a temp or college student who could write well and make the translations clear. But what do I know? :)

No question that DJI could (and should) do a better job with docs & tutorials. But if you got to DJI's Phantom support page [http://www.dji.com/download/phantom-downloads/]
you will find a link to a manual for the upgrade board
[http://download.dji-innovations.com/downloads/phantom/en/P330CB-H3-2D_Instruction_v1.00_en.pdf]
and on Page 1 there is a picture that shows what is carried on each of the 3 wires in the 3-wire cable in question.

Steve

0U812 said:
Thank god I found your post. I have been looking all over for an explanation of the 3 pin cable. I was going to guess on the colors, but I wanted confirmation. Why can't DJI english-speaking guys produce a decent installation manual/video?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl