Yaw errors on P3S?

Reaction score
Wanted to go on a quick flight tonight, everything normal. Satellite count wasn't as high as I would like but enough to fly. I have also flown from this location several other times with no issues. I got about 75ft up and 135ft away. All the sudden I get Compass error and forced switched to Atti mode. Thank god I still had VLOS and not a lot of wind. I was able to bring it back in ATTI mode and land safely. I powered down and restarted everything, flew it back up and had no issues. This is first time after about 30 flights I have had any issues. Here is logs. Anyone tell me possibly what happened here? Really worries me now, if I fly off far enough to not be able to get it back in ATTI mode.

Phantom Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com

TIA,
Jason

Did you calibrate the compass and/or take near any metallic metal objects? It looks like there is a large wall near the takeoff point and/or a concrete pad with rebar in it.

Did you calibrate the compass and/or take near any metallic metal objects? It looks like there is a large wall near the takeoff point and/or a concrete pad with rebar in it.
I did not calibrate compass here. There is a stone wall that is my backyard fence and a pool deck which is concrete where I took off from. I assume this probably isn't a great spot to take off from?

If the concrete has metal inside of it, you should not calibrate the compass and/or take off within about 10 feet of it.

Ok thanks.. I am pretty sure it's full of rebar, so probably not a good idea. Is it ok to take off on a street, asphalt? I don't think those have much in the way of metal under them. Also on compass calibration, I thought it was only wise to calibrate in an area such as a nice open field, and if your launching somewhere your not sure about don't do the compass calibration, because calibrating could end up worse than not? Is that correct?

Is it ok to take off on a street, asphalt? I don't think those have much in the way of metal under them.
That should be fine. Most asphalt should be free of metal.

I thought it was only wise to calibrate in an area such as a nice open field
You should be fine to calibrate in any location where your Phantom is 10+ feet away from all magnetic metal objects. See more details in the compass calibration guide.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl