Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

X-Rite color checker calibration

Discussion in 'Photos and Video' started by Falcon900, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Falcon900

Have any of you drone video and still photographers tried the X-Rite Color Checker for camera calibration?
    I have used it for years with my DSLR cameras and today I tried it with my P3P. The process is to photograph the color chart using DNG file format, create a color profile for that camera which then becomes available in Lightroom and Adobe Camera Raw as a develop preset. For me, the calibration made the greens and yellows much more normal looking. I'm happy I did it. Post processing is much quicker and more accurate.

2. Juergen B

Cool idea, I have the XRite setup for my DSLRs and will give this a try on the Phantom4.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Falcon900 likes this.
  3. Falcon900

I also did a DNG profile for my older P2V+ with the same results. Much better greens and yellows in the RAW conversion of DNG files. It will have no effect on JPGs.

4. Juergen B

Have you played with creating LUTs for video? I'm thinking that the process for creating an Xrite camera profile can also be used to create a LUT profile for video to be used in Premiere Pro or a Final Cut Pro. Will post results once a I have done this.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

5. Falcon900

No, all my monitors are well calibrated so I do color grading (correcting) by eye in Premier Pro. It's also possible in Photoshop but more cumbersome.

6. guidophoto

Hi Everyone, I have this cuestion for DOP or colorist experts... maybe you can help me...

I know everybody who are looking the most pro footage use D-Log setting and then finish the color in Resolve or whatever you use for post.
    I feel enough conformable shooting my Phantom 4 in good light conditions, perfect exposicion and a lovely histogram using an ND8, None Preset, and -2-3-2 Style. Specially if I'm using the X-Rite Color Checker. That's is for me one of the best ways to have a very faitful colors in a minute, a then you can go whatever you want to go... gold, ice, summer, winter tilt and orange...any style you are looking for. But first, I would lile to see true colors for a second.
    When I have to match the colors with colorcheker in Resolve, I need to setup the camara SOURCE selecting options like Rec 709, Arri Log, SLog, Linar, etc...

So my cuestion is: If Im shooting wiht NONE preset, what source I must to select in the colorcheker dialog?
    If Im shooting wiht D-log preset, what source I must to select in the colorcheker dialog?

Thanks you!