WTF did I do to my gimbal? (video)

Reaction score
My gimbal was working pretty well and then I got greedy and tried to mess around with it in SimpleBGC2.2. I dont know what I changed but then I went to "use default" and all hell broke loose from there. Now every time I initialize the gimbal it jerks around like it has parkinson's. Why oh why was I not satisfied with what I had? Every time I try and tinker with something I make things worse.

[youtube]http://youtu.be/S5p6G-dE6yM[/youtube]

You're not alone. I bricked my CM-2000 by trying to make it better. It was one of the older designs with the blue Martinez board. I gave up and moved on to a H2-3D.

Diesel31 said:
You're not alone. I bricked my CM-2000 by trying to make it better. It was one of the older designs with the blue Martinez board. I gave up and moved on to a H2-3D.
are my symptoms showing that it is a lost cause or you are just saying i bricked it as a joke?

Hi Chris

Does it exhibit the same behaviour if you disconnect the gimbal from your Naza ?

I've seen similar behaviour when the gimbal to Naza connection has been reversed.

I don't haver access to my PC currently but if you think it might help I could send you my
SimpleBGC profile.

Regards

Nidge

First, some 20/20 hindsight advice:

In the future if you plan on making changes to gimbal settings in the software, make sure you backup your current profile so you can reload it again if there are any issues.

To your current issue:

I would first start by loading a default profile, if you have one. Usually the gimbal manufacturer will have it on their site or you can email them for it.

It looks like a gain setting went wrong, that constant movement is indicative of incorrect gain.

Also, I'm not sure but does the DJI software have a gimbal tab for the phantom 1? If it does make sure any gains in that are set to 0.

Try that and see what happens.

MILLER4PRESIDENT2020 said:
Diesel31 said:
are my symptoms showing that it is a lost cause or you are just saying i bricked it as a joke?
No joke, it just sounds like you did the same thing I did and now the gimbal is basically a paper weight. I was racking my brain, but I just couldn't figure it out. I figure if your thread gets bumped enough, someone might get some eyes on this and provide a solution.

Nidge said:
Hi Chris

Does it exhibit the same behaviour if you disconnect the gimbal from your Naza ?

I've seen similar behaviour when the gimbal to Naza connection has been reversed.

I don't haver access to my PC currently but if you think it might help I could send you my
SimpleBGC profile.

Regards

Nidge
thanks Ill PM you my email and keep trying other fixes

Nidge said:
Hi Chris

SimpleBGC profile.

Regards

Nidge

if i disconnect the board from the naza and power it on, it doesnt shake violently, it actually powers up to level but doesnt do a very good job holding level. The slightest tilt cause it to reset itself, and there seems like a steady "whinnnnnnnnnning" coming from the board or motors

I did notice in the simple BGC software is gives a red warning about accelerometer not being calibrated, so I click on the basic tab and theres a button thats says calib.acc. If you hover over it, it gives a description "level the IMU sensor with Z axis facing up and press the calib.acc button, calibration takes 3-4 seconds and LED flashes."

I am presuming Z axis facing up means to flip it over so i can rest the board on a level table, then I prop the gimble up so that it is as close to level as I can get it and press the calib.acc button. No LED flashes, the GUI says accelerometer calibration has started but I have been waiting for 3 minutes, not 3 seconds, and there is no update.

i cant get that red Accelerometer is not calibrated message to dissapear

djp4059 said:
What are your PID settings for pitch and roll?

i dont know why this forum will not recognize the spacebar for indentation let me try again.

Left to Right is P.I.D

Roll: 10 and 0.15 and 12
Pitch: 10 and 0.1 and 12

They need to be much higher

Pitch:
P 14.5
I 8.0
D 24.0
PWM 24

Roll:
P 20.0
I 10.0
D 40.0
PWM 20.0

Try these for both, then fiddle with them up and down till it stays put.
I'm on a Mac right now, I'd have to start my PC to find out what mine are actually
set at. I'm thinking there higher like P=20 I=50 D=30. I think I read somewhere that P+D=I.

djp4059 said:
They need to be much higher

Pitch:
P 14.5
I 8.0
D 24.0
PWM 24

Roll:
P 20.0
I 10.0
D 40.0
PWM 20.0

Try these for both, then fiddle with them up and down till it stays put.
I'm on a Mac right now, I'd have to start my PC to find out what mine are actually
set at. I'm thinking there higher like P=20 I=50 D=30. I think I read somewhere that P+D=I.

tried those and it didnt work but for whatever reason after messing around with a few numbers I have gotten the gimbal back to working status, the only problem is it is not level at powerup. If tilts probably 15 degrees off the horizon, so the new problem now is getting it to hold level with the horizon on powerup, but we are making progress here guys!

Hi Chris

First of all my apologies for not getting back to you, recent events have got the better of me and I've not been in a position to get at the files I'd promised to send.

The good news is that you are almost there with your setup. There is a simple way of setting the gimbal to level on power up which doesn't require you to connect it to the software. There is a button on the control board which when pressed in a certain way will disable the motors momentarily slowing you to manually place the gimbal level in both pitch and roll. Each gimbal is different in this function but if you look in your SimpleBGC GUI it will list the button press sequence to allow you to do this.

If I get the opportunity tomorrow I'll endeavour to access the files on my PC so at least you'll have them for future reference.

Regards

Nidge

Nidge said:
Hi Chris

First of all my apologies for not getting back to you, recent events have got the better of me and I've not been in a position to get at the files I'd promised to send.

The good news is that you are almost there with your setup. There is a simple way of setting the gimbal to level on power up which doesn't require you to connect it to the software. There is a button on the control board which when pressed in a certain way will disable the motors momentarily slowing you to manually place the gimbal level in both pitch and roll. Each gimbal is different in this function but if you look in your SimpleBGC GUI it will list the button press sequence to allow you to do this.

If I get the opportunity tomorrow I'll endeavour to access the files on my PC so at least you'll have them for future reference.

Regards

Nidge

hi, no worries. After many hours of literally fiddling with every number and seeing how it reacts I have salvaged the gimbal. If you still want to send your file it would be interesting to see someone elses numbers but I dont plan on fine tuning my phantom anymore.

I may not be able to get it to an A+ machine, but I do have one that is worthy of a B and I am sick and tired of dealing with a week of heartbreak every time I try to adjust something.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl