WOW!!!

Reaction score
I'm really amazed!! I don't know how you guys do it!! Tonight I went 397' up and could barely see my bird and was completely freaking that I might lose it!! It amazes me that you guys can go out miles and still keep control. New to this, so maybe as I get more experience I'll get more confident.

You guys amaze me!!!!!

Thanks for posting about all your experience!!

Mark

EDIT: meant feet, not inches!! duh

Last edited:
Lets keep this on topic & friendly people. ;)

At less than 400' he was at less than the FAA's suggested flight ceiling so no airline pilots will be spotting him unless they are standing next to him as he flys it.
And like others have said, experience helps a lot. You must always assess the possible risks where you are flying to be sure it is feasible to fly safely as these are far from perfect machines.

I remember I was freaked out when I went above 100ish feet for the first time. As others have said, you'll learn to trust the p3. But do look out for private planes at that height. They don't have any set flight paths, and the little Cessnas go under 400 feet routinely.

Sent from my iPod touch using PhantomPilots mobile app

I have to watch for national guard helicopters in the fall time as they literally skim the tree tops looking for marijuana

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

We all start somewhere but there are always people who think they are better than everyone. I'm the same as you (a newbee) and I have also found some people on here a bit frosty. I have replied to many posts and no one seems to reply back. Anyway, my first time out last week was a very nervous affair but I feel a bit more confident now and I managed 167ft. I'm not a careless person and I respect my gear but it does worry me that at some point it might just drop out of the sky. My first video is here

Where I live, on the coast, it's search and rescue and police helicopters you have to watch out for. These look often to be below 400 ft although I cant be sure.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

I've been watching the posts over the past several months and every time a new person asks a simple question they are berated by senior members of the forum. This just isn't right.
It's also not true - it's hyperbole. If it happened every time, there wouldn't be any members.
If you see inappropriate behaviour, click on report and bring it to the attention of the moderators.
Still waiting on reply from moderator for two deleted replies on this thread.....
Not as open a forum as you would think!!
It's a very open forum and one where the members do a lot to help new flyers.
I read your initial comment twice to see what it was you were taking offence to and whatever it was escaped me.
You came out aggressively and as far as I could see, without reason.

Now ... I'd recommend you take a little time to read our community guidelines.
You'll find them here: Community Guidelines

One to take notice of is:
9. Public discussion about moderation or moderator decisions is not allowed. If a moderator deletes or edits one of your posts and you disagree with the action, contact the moderator concerned. Do not repost deleted material.

Hey RayH. I'm a newbie also and my experience of the forum has so far been very positive. I hope that continues as I think it's an important resource.

Anyway, fabulous colours in your video. I was wondering whether you were using DJI Go (or other) and if you used any filters on the camera. Also what time of flight? I'm guessing sunrise or sunset.

David

... However, I've been watching the posts over the past several months and every time a new person asks a simple question they are berated by senior members of the forum. This just isn't right.

I think often the simple question asked is one that is asked constantly - and ironically the answer is already readily available with a simple search. That may be why some of the senior members seem a little agitated.

Reactions: dirkclod
Hey RayH. I'm a newbie also and my experience of the forum has so far been very positive. I hope that continues as I think it's an important resource.

Anyway, fabulous colours in your video. I was wondering whether you were using DJI Go (or other) and if you used any filters on the camera. Also what time of flight? I'm guessing sunrise or sunset.

David

Hi,
I didn't use any filters on this occasion because luckily the shutter speed ended up at around 1/50th which was nearly spot on as I filmed 24p and you are right it is a sunset, it was about 17:20 In the uK. Thanks for your positive comment [emoji106]

Reactions: movius
Sorry but thats the nature of every forum since the dawn of the 'net and even existed in Newsgroups if anyone remembers those. What I don't understand is why do senior members feel they have to respond to threads with a non-helpful comment or some other sarcastic/condescending non-helpful comment rather than just move on? There is nothing that makes it mandatory to post a response because you read a thread... Like learning how to use the search function how about non-helpful people learn to hit the "PhantomPilots" icon and just move on rather than be a prick.

Back on Topic - Yeah I'm amazed too at altitudes and distances that people go and rely strictly on the camera and the Mini Map to fly. I took mine up to 200' and I started to get a bit anxious. I've taken mine out a couple hundred yards and couldn't tell orientation and used my mini map to point it towards me and bring it back. But it was still a bit nerve racking. I reckon' like others have said, with time and practice we'll learn to trust the instruments more....

I think often the simple question asked is one that is asked constantly - and ironically the answer is already readily available with a simple search. That may be why some of the senior members seem a little agitated.

... What I don't understand is why do senior members feel they have to respond to threads with a non-helpful comment or some other sarcastic/condescending non-helpful comment rather than just move on? There is nothing that makes it mandatory to post a response because you read a thread... Like learning how to use the search function how about non-helpful people learn to hit the "PhantomPilots" icon and just move on rather than be a prick.

Learning to use the search button IS helpful. How does that make them a "prick?"

Often it's a lot easier for the person with the problem or question to type a few words in the search bar and read than it is for them to create a new thread so that somebody else has to re-type several paragraphs in response to a question which has already been asked and answered countless times.

Back to topic: WOW!!!

Reactions: dirkclod
Hi,
I didn't use any filters on this occasion because luckily the shutter speed ended up at around 1/50th which was nearly spot on as I filmed 24p and you are right it is a sunset, it was about 17:20 In the uK. Thanks for your positive comment [emoji106]

Very nice job. I'm also in the UK. It's nice to see some good weather somewhere in the UK!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Reactions: RayH
Very nice job. I'm also in the UK. It's nice to see some good weather somewhere in the UK!

Thanks.
The weather is pants here this weekend, I wanted to go to Snowdon but its going to be raining all weekend :(

Same here! We are close to Dartmouth but a crap weekend has put paid to any hopes of anything here.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl