Would you prefer a mavic 2 or P5?

Mavic 2 or P5?

• Phantom 5

Votes: 14 56.0%
  • Mavic 2

Votes: 11 44.0%

• Total voters
If the MP2 had just the P4P´s specs it´d be a killer already. A P5 would have to be really special to beat that because portability is the future for drones.

Reactions: JohhnySkye
If the MP2 had just the P4P´s specs it´d be a killer already. A P5 would have to be really special to beat that because portability is the future for drones.
True. If there was a mavic sized p4p that would be amazing.

The Mavic has some obvious upgrade potential (better camera and OA) but it's more difficult to guess how they will upgrade the P4P. The P4P imaging system is already about all any prosumer would need and while it's always possible to make it better I'm not sure anyone would want to pay a yet higher price for better imagery at this point (that's what the Inspire is for.) They could tweak OA features (360 protection in all flight modes, downward OA, etc.) It will be interesting to see where they go with the P4P, and if they are able to maintain the same price point. It's already fairly expensive for the general market and I'm not sure how much upward pricing flexibility there is to pay for radical upgrades. Stay tuned.

Last edited:
Reactions: RyanK
It´s only a matter of time untill they can pack all P4P features + more into a drone the size of the Mavic. The Mavic itself is impressive as it is. I´ve owned the Inspire and still own a couple of Phantoms but once you get used to a small AND powerfull drone it´s hard to go back.

Even with the limitations and image quality issues. It´s not bad, but the P3P and P4 line are superior in that regard no question.

Now, if the P5 had a foldable landing gear that alone would be a huge step forward IMO. I´d love a P4P with it. Doesn´t need to be servo-assisted or anything super fancy. Just manually foldable to make it easier for transportation would be enough. A smaller controller also would be nice, not Mavic-sized but less bulky.

But then it would mean going the direction of the Mavic so it may not make much sense for DJI.

The Mavic has some obvious upgrade potential (better camera and OA) but it's more difficult to guess how they will upgrade the P4P. The P4P imaging system is already about all any prosumer would need. It's always possible to make it better of course but I'm not sure anyone would want to pay a yet higher price for better imagery at this point (that's what the Inspire is for.) They could tweak OA features (360 protection in all flight modes, downward OA, etc.) It will be interesting to see where they go with the P4p, and if they are able to maintain the same price point.

I agree that there is probably little they can improve on the camera (maybe a little bit better lens) given that form factor and weight constraint. Possibly (with the advent of faster memory cards) and significantly faster video processing HW, the actual encoding quality may has room for significant improvement up to and including low compression (raw type) modes currently requiring hard drives. Other than that the only real improvements are in the autonomous flight and safety arena. Once again, currently rather limited and funky, with much more processing power, the AC could be made almost un-crashable (short of sudden power failures or bird attacks).

I agree that there is probably little they can improve on the camera (maybe a little bit better lens) given that form factor and weight constraint. Possibly (with the advent of faster memory cards) and significantly faster video processing HW, the actual encoding quality may has room for significant improvement up to and including low compression (raw type) modes currently requiring hard drives. Other than that the only real improvements are in the autonomous flight and safety arena. Once again, currently rather limited and funky, with much more processing power, the AC could be made almost un-crashable (short of sudden power failures or bird attacks).
Yes, processing power is certainly something that can increase with no change in form factor and perhaps little effect on price. Maybe the ability to record RAW onboard the aircraft? (although even the current 100 mb/s H.265 video seems to be stretching people's PCs to the max.) And DJI definitely seems to be pursuing OA/autonomous flight and safety functionalities so we can probably expect some tweaks there.

My hope for the Phantom 5 is that it is a Mavic Pro design but large enough to mount multiple camera platforms on it. Also, the larger size may make it a little more stable in the wind. The folding, camera-forward, and top mounted battery design will loosen my purse strings...AND not another cruddy plastic Phantom which won't even last a year without cracking.

Hmmmmm dream machine.... It works right out of the box the first day with no glitches and never needs update after update after update....... Oh wait that would be deviating from reality!

Reactions: Scottie74
If the Mavic Pro carried the PH 4 Pro Camera I'd consider switching forum to MavicPilots. Nuff said.
Yes, when the Mavic was only competing against the P4 then the Mavic was the clear choice. The P4P was probably introduced so Phantom sales would not be destroyed and DJI could maintain two model lines (for instance I was going to buy a Mavic but switched when the P4P came out, as many here did.) So if the Mavic gets a better camera (not sure if DJI will want to bump the price that much) then I would expect that DJI will do something to up the Phantom series to maintain a differentiation. So you may still end up with a tough choice ;)

Reactions: DronePilotOne
Yes, when the Mavic was only competing against the P4 then the Mavic was the clear choice. The P4P was probably introduced so Phantom sales would not be destroyed and DJI could maintain two model lines (for instance I was going to buy a Mavic but switched when the P4P came out, as many here did.) So if the Mavic gets a better camera (not sure if DJI will want to bump the price that much) then I would expect that DJI will do something to up the Phantom series to maintain a differentiation. So you may still end up with a tough choice ;)

****! Sounds like the usual Apple Catch22!o_O

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan