Worth repairing a Phantom 1 / FC40 after salt water crash?

Reaction score
I crashed my FC40 in to salt water (completely my fault) and have been trying to revive it with not much luck.

I took everything apart, washed off the salt water, cleaned everything, let it dry for over a week, rice, air drying... everything. When I try plugging the NAZA module in to the computer without anything but the power and USB / LED board attached - nothing happens. The Naza module is not recognized by my computer anymore which leads me to believe it is fried.

If I add power from the battery - the motors start clicking and beeping, but nothing else. If I plug everything in as intended - motors beep (seems like they are trying to spin) but that's it. Only one of the motor control boards light up (green) the other 3 do not light up at all. I noticed all 4 capacitors on the motor control boards where broken, so I replaced them all, but the motors and whole unit still do the same thing as before.

Should I buy a new Naza Module and start trying to trouble shoot the other parts, or just replace the whole copter? The GoPro and Walkera G2D where salvaged thankfully, so I would not need another FC40, I think a Phantom 1 would fit my needs since I already have a bunch of batteries, gimbal, and GoPro. Any suggestions on another copter option to get back to flying and taking photos without spending a whole lot of money would be great.

Re: Worth repairing a Phantom 1 / FC40 after salt water cras

I found a NAZA for $300 and don't know of any that cost less. Thought to myself, if I had to replace it I would just buy another new setup and have tons of extra parts. Start adding additional parts to the price of a new NAZA and the time it takes to troubleshoot and you may find a whole new bird a good option.

I don't know of a good source for used parts.
Maybe someone does and will share with us... :)

How did it crash? I fly over saltwater all the time and am always nervous while flying lol

I would buy another FC-40 and sell all the working bits/bits I didn't need (radio, camera, bodyshell etc) off my old FC-40 on eBay.

If you buy a Phantom 2, the batteries from your FC40 wont work. I think the Phantom 2 uses the more expensive smart batteries. I'd go for another FC40 and keep the stuff you don't need for parts.

Anyone know if a Naza Lite would work with the FC40 / Phantom 1?

I would like to retain axis control of my gimbal, but do not plan on adding FPV OSD or any of that fancy stuff so don't think I would really need the v2. I see the Naza Lites without accessories pretty cheap.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl