Wind Capabilities

Reaction score
I'm a little nervous about going out and working with the new P3S with windy conditions. How much will the little bird handle or is it just a matter of how much I can handle watching it dance?

I use the weather bug app because it has a great wind meter. It can handle moderate gusts and winds without a problem, but if you get 22+ (in my opinion) you could have a problem. I almost lost my phantom 3 the other day because the gps failed and the wind took it.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Wow! That high? It was gusting over 20 today but tomorrow is calling for 10-15. Big field and close proximity flying maybe. Thanks Sam

To be safe. I would say fly in no more the. 17mph winds. It can take it but why chance it. Best to wait.

I'm a little nervous about going out and working with the new P3S with windy conditions. How much will the little bird handle or is it just a matter of how much I can handle watching it dance?
The P3 can easily manage 20 knots and more if you are careful.
Just don't fly away downwind any distance in high winds.

I wouldn't go out in over 22 mph. Remember the wind is faster with higher elevation. In my experience it can handle 20-22. But if the gps fails as stated earlier in the post. You have to be comfortable in Atti mode or its gonna go buh bye. Take offs and landings can be a bit unpredictable with higher winds as well. If your new. Try flying in 10mph close to the surface then move to 15, then 20. The bird is pretty pitched in a 20+ headwind though. Makes me nervous.

15-17 mph at RTH is my personal limit especially when trying to video.

Also dont forget, you dont want to fly into the wind as youre bringing the Phantom back (RTH or by stick). Itll have to fly harder fighting the wind, using more battery, you dont want that when youre getting the low battery warning.

UAV Forecast (available in iOS and Android) is a great app to have. It will give you a simple Go or No-Go advice whether it's good to fly or not based on your location. If the wind is too strong for UAVs, it will show up as red.

lcQDWi0l.png

F25MQoul.png

My number is 15 mph - but remember the wind will be significantly stronger with altitude, especially if you live in a hilly area...

If you go into settings on UAV app, you can change the wind altitude to see the wind speed at that height.

Reactions: Andy Thomas

I live in Texas and fly in the West Texas area. Strong winds are always a factor. Over spring break, I flew in some pretty healthy winds with gusts up to 39.5MPH. The bird did pretty well but struggled at times flying into the wind. Flight data can be seen at HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters Will try not to fly with winds over 20MPH.

To be safe. I would say fly in no more the. 17mph winds. It can take it but why chance it. Best to wait.

I agree with Tony. I pretty much stay inside of 15 mph. I had a bad experience once at 20. Scared the **** out of me. LOL
But really, I guess it is how comfortable YOU are flying in the wind whatever the MPH.

Same here. My limit is at 25kph (approx. 15mph) at 50 meters (164 ft.) altitude.

I presume that all this time, we're talking about sustained winds? You should also keep an eye out for wind gusts. If you're shooting something that requires the drone to hover near an obstruction, a sudden gust of wind could faceplant your drone onto anything around it.

Reactions: mcphipps
Yes sir oj88. The gusts can cause some big problems.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl