Wildfire from the Sky

Reaction score
This really broke my heart. Met a lot of families and started to help them get their horses and cows out to safety but a lot of them lost their homes. Right now it is 20% contained. The drone worked for some families as they got to see how close it was to their homes
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4prnFHbQ18[/youtube]

Cool video. I guess you were far enough away that the heat from the fires didn't cause you any issues. I would think the updrafts would be huge! It seems like there is always a wildfire of some sort in Southern California. I was in San Bernardino in the late 80s and the area surrounding the Air Force Base were all ablaze.

It was crazy and it was only about 20 min from my house. This is in Northern CA but it is not uncommon. Southern CA has a lot of fires but it was just surreal to be this close and experience it.

Sad for sure but reassuring to see a Phantom being used in such an important capacity.

wattage said:
Sad for sure but reassuring to see a Phantom being used in such an important capacity.

Agreed! CBS messaged me on the first video and asked if I could use it for their news tonight :D

I was thinking of heading up there today from Sacto, Jeffin916. How close can you get? I see from local news that there are quite a few road closures. Are you going in from the El Dorado side or the Amador side?

Looks like I won't be going up there - a TFR is in place so that air support can continue their efforts.

SOURCE: yubanet.com

July 27, 2014 at 11:37 AM
Eldorado County Sheriff's Office has made contact with the drone operator. The drone is not at the incident and will not return, per Camino air base.

July 27, 2014 at 11:05 AM
Report of the drone came in through Sand Operations and also by a private citizen. This is now a confirmed safety hazard. Air attack states they may have to cease all air operations until the hazard is identified.

July 27, 2014 at 11:03 AM
FAA TEMPORARY FLIGHT RESTRICTION
Location : 11 MILES SOUTH OF PLACERVILLE, California near HANGTOWN VOR/DME (HNW)
Beginning Date and Time : July 26, 2014 at 1930 UTC
Ending Date and Time : October 01, 2014 at 1130 UTC
Reason for NOTAM : TO PROVIDE A SAFE ENVIRONMENT FOR FIRE FIGHTING
Other Information
Radius: 5 nautical miles
Altitude: From the surface up to and including 7000 feet MSL

No pilots may operate an aircraft in the areas covered by this NOTAM (except as described).
ONLY RELIEF AIRCRAFT OPERATIONS UNDER DIRECTION OF CALFIRE AMADOR ELDORADO UNIT ARE AUTHORIZED IN THE AIRSPACE

July 27, 2014 at 10:45 AM
Better location for the drone: over Sand Ridge Road.

July 27, 2014 at 10:43 AM
Report by Camino dispatch of a drone (unmanned aerial vehicle) flying over the fire. They are trying to pinpoint the exact location. A temporary flight restriction (TFR) is in place over the fire.

Wow, so I guess I wasn't the only one. I would in no way get that close, the aircrafts around were all over the place! It is quite a eye full to see

When I went, I took Hwy 16 into Plymouth. I was basically at Redwood Winery in Plymouth and the back roads. Fire has gone South now so it's all changed

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl