Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Wildfire from the Sky

Discussion in 'Phantom 2 Vision + Discussion' started by Jeffin916, Jul 26, 2014.

1. Jeffin916

This really broke my heart. Met a lot of families and started to help them get their horses and cows out to safety but a lot of them lost their homes. Right now it is 20% contained. The drone worked for some families as they got to see how close it was to their homes
    [youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4prnFHbQ18[/youtube]

2. Catalina36

Cool video. I guess you were far enough away that the heat from the fires didn't cause you any issues. I would think the updrafts would be huge! It seems like there is always a wildfire of some sort in Southern California. I was in San Bernardino in the late 80s and the area surrounding the Air Force Base were all ablaze.

3. Jeffin916

It was crazy and it was only about 20 min from my house. This is in Northern CA but it is not uncommon. Southern CA has a lot of fires but it was just surreal to be this close and experience it.

4. wattage

Sad for sure but reassuring to see a Phantom being used in such an important capacity.

5. Jeffin916

Day 2 of the wildfire

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyb0AOu2Vx8[/youtube]

6. Jeffin916

Agreed! CBS messaged me on the first video and asked if I could use it for their news tonight :D

7. Tripnman

I was thinking of heading up there today from Sacto, Jeffin916. How close can you get? I see from local news that there are quite a few road closures. Are you going in from the El Dorado side or the Amador side?

8. Tripnman

Looks like I won't be going up there - a TFR is in place so that air support can continue their efforts.

SOURCE: yubanet.com

9. Jeffin916

Wow, so I guess I wasn't the only one. I would in no way get that close, the aircrafts around were all over the place! It is quite a eye full to see

When I went, I took Hwy 16 into Plymouth. I was basically at Redwood Winery in Plymouth and the back roads. Fire has gone South now so it's all changed