Why would you update FW? I probably wont

hmm, might have to disagree with just that point, what with the massive move by manufacturers, with the Supreme Court's approval, to lock us all into waiving our right to take them to a real court, relegating us to arbitration/mediation, and with no right of class action there. Haven't checked, but I'll bet dji has taken care of that detail.

They certainly have per the "Go App Terms of Use" you have to agree to in order to use GEO unlocking map:

16. Dispute Resolution and Arbitration

1. ... you and DJI agree that every dispute arising in connection with these Terms will be resolved by binding arbitration... YOU UNDERSTAND AND AGREE THAT, BY ENTERING INTO THESE TERMS, YOU AND DJI ARE EACH WAIVING THE RIGHT TO A TRIAL BY JURY OR TO PARTICIPATE IN A CLASS ACTION. (This has to be in California, by the way.)

6. No Class Actions. YOU AND DJI AGREE THAT EACH MAY BRING CLAIMS AGAINST THE OTHER ONLY IN YOUR OR ITS INDIVIDUAL CAPACITY AND NOT AS A PLAINTIFF OR CLASS MEMBER IN ANY PURPORTED CLASS OR REPRESENTATIVE PROCEEDING....

And then there's my personal favorite:

6. Termination of Use; Discontinuation and Modification of the Service.

If you violate any provision of these Terms, your permission from us to use the Service, including the DJI Go App, will terminate automatically. In addition, DJI may in its sole discretion terminate your DJI account or suspend or terminate your access to the Service at any time for any reason or no reason, with or without notice.

You need to read all 5,459 words to understand what the "provisions of these Terms" are.

At the time the terms first popped up last January, it looked like my house on the Oregon coast was going to be in an authorization zone (due to a tiny airport a few miles away). I decided I would not upgrade to firmware that loaded GEO into the P3 since you can't use the GEO unlock map without agreeing to the terms.

I quit updating firmware at 1.7.6. and the Go App at 2.6 on my iPad and 2.8.1 on my iPhone. Can't go any farther on either one without opening up the GEO can of worms.

If the new firmware doesn't look like a big change, I usually choose to not take a chance and won't update. Others might think differently, but everyone should make an educated decision.
Exactly my point and just what I do as well. Look at my signature to see the versions I use. They are not current by any stretch.

That doesn't make the people who do always update wrong. Since we all know that FW and app changes can sometimes cause issues, it just takes more of a reward (new features, etc) for me to choose to try an update.

I'm generally risk averse, so at this point with my P3P and P3A both flying well it would take significant rewards (new features, etc) for me to even consider trying to update my FW. I understand and accept that by not updating I may be missing out on any "secret" bug fixes that DJI doesn't report. I'm fine with that, but again that's just me.

Last edited:
After owning many Dji products, i think the
first 2 or 3 updates are fine. Anything after will hinder or restrict the quads performance.

Reactions: Apilot101
Stay away from the new firmware. I can't use my drone because the video feed is distorted after I did the update. DJI just gives you the run around and there is no way to revert back to the old firmware if something goes wrong.

My reply would be just use it as is, lots Of peeps including myself have had issues with new firmware, anywhere from choppy video feed to esc issues ,

So what do you think I should do with one right out of the box? I have a iPad I'm going to use the GO app on ?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots
Welcome to the forum!

Many of us frequently tell people to just fly it with the FW is has right out of the box.
Some may disagree and suggest that you update immediately. Just use this as a data point to decide for yourself.

Using what you get when it arrives will give you a chance to check out your new drone for any unlikely infant mortality (early life) type of electronic issues, to understand the relationship between the RC, the AC, your mobile device, and the software, plus learn the many nuances of the design and it's features. Once you are very comfortable with what you have, you will better understand the forum discussions about pros/cons with each FW version and you can make a more educated decision about which version you prefer. You will also be in a better position to recognize any issues that are introduced if you do decide to update.

I cringe when I read about people who immediately update their firmware before they even know how to fly or before they know yet if what they have is fully functional. Then it's more difficult to diagnose or recognize any issues, and much more difficult if not impossible to go back to what they started with when new.

Side note: just in case you're interested. click here for a bullet list of tips that I often share with new P3A and P3P owners. Hopefully you'll find a couple of useful pointers.

Cheers!

Last edited:
I quit updating firmware at 1.7.6. and the Go App at 2.6 on my iPad and 2.8.1 on my iPhone. Can't go any farther on either one without opening up the GEO can of worms.

I have seen other claim that you need to go back further than that to avoid geo.

I quit updating at 2.8.3 on my iPad, and whatever firmware was current at that GO version (pretty sure it is 1.8). Pain in the neck to workaround the iTunes update process, but I need to do it for another (unrelated) app anyway. I have seen no evidence of a GEO implementation on 2.8.3.

Confusing matters, I just picked up an Osmo Mobile. That needs a much more current version of GO to operate. For all the expected features, it pretty much needs the current version (3.1.1. at the moment). Fortunately, I have somehow managed to have my iPad stay on 2.8.3 while my iPhone is updated to 3.1.1 for the Osmo.

My dilemma is that I use Autopilot. Never thought about it until recently, but according to the developer, it is "only tested with the current firmware." Since I never thought to prevent updates on that app, it could possibly cause problems for me using the older firmware (according to the developer). At the same time I am very concerned about upgrading. Besides my dislike of the GEO concept and implementation, I had previously found several problems with their maps. Although I fly in the middle of nowhere, they had several cornfields and long defunct private airstrips listed as NFZs or authorization zones. I believe they eventually corrected some of them, but the ability of DJI to unilaterally change things (inaccurately and without notice/reason) bothers me. With most of the area having no viable internet access, there would also be no way to "unlock" if they decided I was in an authorization zone. Not to mention the problem of attempting to fly too close to the wrong cornfield. I'm not sure how the "new" map data gets into my iPad/P3A or if it can do do when my iPad gets back to civilization.

Is there a definitive answer on the latest safe (i.e. GEO free) firmware/GO combination?

Last edited:
Last FW upgrade was for my P2V, Message received , AIRCRAFT DISCONNECTED on my iphone. Bird sits closet.Have not touched any upgrades for the P4.

I am still on FW 1.4.10 & RC 1.4.30 since about Sept/Oct 2015. Unless DJI ground it uless I update, i decided not to bother doing updates. 370 flights now with p3p and still fine.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

I am still on FW 1.4.10 & RC 1.4.30 since about Sept/Oct 2015. Unless DJI ground it uless I update, i decided not to bother doing updates. 370 flights now with p3p and still fine.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots
How much headache and how much stress you did avoid yourself from.
My respect to you sir.

Sent from my SM-G900FD using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: Apilot101
Upgraded my P3A to the latest 1.10 firmware - and it flies 'better/smoother' than it did when on 1.9.6 so no problems in anyway here with updates. Plus some of these improvements are beneficial to me.

I absolutely disagree.
Reward? Like what? My P3A starts having Obstacle avoidance out of a sudden or what?
Or my tablet galaxy tab pro 8.4 which stopped working since last dji go update, gets fixed now with AC update? And even if it does, something else stops working?
No thanks. I'd better stay with what i got. Sell my tablet, get one that works and never ever ever ever update neither FW, neither DJI go. I've learnt at least 2 lessons already. Enough for me flying with my girlfriends iphone for 2 months almost. Before DJI Go update Galaxy tab pro 8.4 was working perfectly.

Updates are not always supposed to be for better. (C) DJI

Since i am not in US sending back drone costs me 15% of drones cost. I already had that bitter experience due to FW Update. Enough of me.
Sent from my SM-G900FD using PhantomPilots mobile app

I feel your pain

When I first got my P3P/4K I said to myself "It will not fly right out of the box" so, I spent 14 days researching all of the info i could gather off of the Web.

I finally found out that with the research, I was able to update all of the firmware, with-out a problem.

I am pissed that I was not able to fly out-of-the-box!

I have seen other claim that you need to go back further than that to avoid geo.

I quit updating at 2.8.3 on my iPad, and whatever firmware was current at that GO version (pretty sure it is 1.8). Pain in the neck to workaround the iTunes update process, but I need to do it for another (unrelated) app anyway. I have seen no evidence of a GEO implementation on 2.8.3.

Confusing matters, I just picked up an Osmo Mobile. That needs a much more current version of GO to operate. For all the expected features, it pretty much needs the current version (3.1.1. at the moment). Fortunately, I have somehow managed to have my iPad stay on 2.8.3 while my iPhone is updated to 3.1.1 for the Osmo.

My dilemma is that I use Autopilot. Never thought about it until recently, but according to the developer, it is "only tested with the current firmware." Since I never thought to prevent updates on that app, it could possibly cause problems for me using the older firmware (according to the developer). At the same time I am very concerned about upgrading. Besides my dislike of the GEO concept and implementation, I had previously found several problems with their maps. Although I fly in the middle of nowhere, they had several cornfields and long defunct private airstrips listed as NFZs or authorization zones. I believe they eventually corrected some of them, but the ability of DJI to unilaterally change things (inaccurately and without notice/reason) bothers me. With most of the area having no viable internet access, there would also be no way to "unlock" if they decided I was in an authorization zone. Not to mention the problem of attempting to fly too close to the wrong cornfield. I'm not sure how the "new" map data gets into my iPad/P3A or if it can do do when my iPad gets back to civilization.

Is there a definitive answer on the latest safe (i.e. GEO free) firmware/GO combination?
If you contact the guy at Autopilot, he may be able to email you an old version of their software. Litchi did it for me :) Then I blocked all updates and I love my bird that way. Pre NFZ

It wouldnt be so bad if DJI allowed you like most companies to roll back any 1 of the FW's even to say if you did it would be at your own risk.

Reactions: Jtrjr
If you contact the guy at Autopilot, he may be able to email you an old version of their software. Litchi did it for me :) Then I blocked all updates and I love my bird that way. Pre NFZ

Good idea. I may give that a try. Thanks.

*edit*

Your post gave me an idea. This may be useful for others...

I'm on a Mac and use "Time Machine" as one of my backup strategies. It has saved my bacon a few times being able to find several old versions of a file.

If you sync your phone/table to iTunes, your mobile apps are stored with your music in the iTunes folder. That gets backed up by Time Machine.

Turns out I have every previous version of every app for the past few years. Don't know why I never thought of that before. Simple task to go into TM and grab whichever previous version I need.

Thanks for giving me the idea.

If iTunes only had the ability to turn off updates for specific apps, things would be perfect. Manually preventing the updates is cumbersome.

Good idea. I may give that a try. Thanks.

*edit*

Your post gave me an idea. This may be useful for others...

I'm on a Mac and use "Time Machine" as one of my backup strategies. It has saved my bacon a few times being able to find several old versions of a file.

If you sync your phone/table to iTunes, your mobile apps are stored with your music in the iTunes folder. That gets backed up by Time Machine.

Turns out I have every previous version of every app for the past few years. Don't know why I never thought of that before. Simple task to go into TM and grab whichever previous version I need.

Thanks for giving me the idea.

If iTunes only had the ability to turn off updates for specific apps, things would be perfect. Manually preventing the updates is cumbersome.
I do something similar. I saved all the firmware APK to the cloud. That way if I'm away from my laptop I can download any version I want [emoji13]

Neon Euc

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart