Why would you update FW? I probably wont

Reaction score
I am on 1.9fw. Which works fine. Why should i update my p3a fw to the next one?
Every time i update something with DJI something that worked stopped working. Had this experience couple of times already.
recent one:last dji go update. My tablet stopped working with p3a. Did everything. Rolled back to older dji go. Factory reset tablet. Nothing.

Why would i update drones fw now?

I think what dji does is, it fixes something, and something else stops working. Then this thing gets fixed with new fw, but something else stops working.
This way they sell more mavics and p4p's.

Sent from my SM-G900FD using PhantomPilots mobile app

I updated firmware, my P3A, must be 4 months ago. I;m going to wait until I read there are no issues, & will update then, maybe!
I was going to ,but looking through release notes, I see nothing that is a huge change/additon

I waited to see what issues were raised with the last couple of big FW / APP updates for the AC and RC. I've now updated both without any issues. In reality, I think the vast majority of pilots do not have any issues following any updates.

Every time i update something with DJI something that worked stopped working. Had this experience couple of times already.
recent one:last dji go update. My tablet stopped working with p3a. Did everything. Rolled back to older dji go. Factory reset tablet. Nothing.

I think what dji does is, it fixes something, and something else stops working. Then this thing gets fixed with new fw, but something else stops working.

It's a risk versus reward thing. Each person has to research and choose for themselves if the published + user discovered changes with a new FW or APP are worth the chance that their P3 will be bricked or less functional.

Most people have no problems at all with updates, but anyone who reads the assorted Phantom forums knows that problems and hidden surprises are certainly possible.

It's an easier decison if you are already having issues and choose to update with the hope it will help with your existing problems. It's harder when your P3 is already flying well and you have no issues at all.

It's crazy how many threads have started with, "It was working perfectly but then I updated the [FW, APP] and now it doesn't work anymore." We must see 3-4 of those per week I'd guess. It always seems to be right before a critical need such as a big job or a vacation. There was another one of those just today. That's one of the reasons for a forum however. It's usually where people go for help, so you'd have to expect to see problems posted.

My advice is to just do your research and make a call that feels right for your situation. Most likely it will be fine, but if it's not then come back here and we can all start helping get you back in the air.

Good luck.

Last edited:
I was on the Dji forum where, just like everywhere else, there's a bunch of new FW threads about how they bricked lots of AC. Some say that after contacting Dji they were basically told too bad, send it in and pay up. There was one asking if it's safe to install because of all the news of failures and a top moderator there actually had the gall to say he didn't know what they were talking about regarding the issues with the new FW. This, to me, reeks. Instead of fixing/addressing the issues how can they act like there's no problems occurring by denying them. The OP in that thread actually apologized to the mod for asking due to his response.

I find it very unprofessional to act like there's nothing here to see...move along and will never upgrade unless I absolutely must.

Agree with you fully if all is working alright, there is no real need to update.

DJI had mixed up so many products into one app called DJI Go app and created confusion for all of us. New release was issued to provide fixes for new products but that broke old products. Also there is no clear documentation provided to all of us as to what's changed and what could be affected. On top of it, DJI lacks thorough testing of products before issuing updates.

I have worked in SW QA so I know how difficult it gets to test when so many products share common APIs and UI. That's the main problem DJI is facing today. I was happy to note that DJI decided to introduce Go app 4 for series 4. That's a way to go in future so that changes in one doesn't affect the other.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Personally I always had problems... Not on the latest one tho. Gone are the laggy videos, gone are the bad connections and gone are the odd situation with here maps where it doesn't follow your drone... Yep.. This time it does.. And it added a little button in screen to select what mode you want like follow me mode, headless mode etc... All without going into settings.

Sent from my HUAWEI LYO-L01 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Last edited:
It's a risk versus reward thing. Each person has to research and choose for themselves if the published + user discovered changes with a new FW or APP are worth the chance that their P3 will be bricked or less functional.

Most people have no problems at all with updates, but anyone who reads the assorted Phantom forums knows that problems and hidden surprises are certainly possible.

It's an easier decison if you are already having issues and choose to update with the hope it will help with your existing problems. It's harder when your P3 is already flying well and you have no issues at all.

It's crazy how many threads have started with, "It was working perfectly but then I updated the [FW, APP] and now it doesn't work anymore." We must see 3-4 of those per week I'd guess. It always seems to be right before a critical need such as a big job or a vacation. There was another one of those just today. That's one of the reasons for a forum however. It's usually where people go for help, so you'd have to expect to see problems posted.

My advice is to just do your research and make a call that feels right for your situation. Most likely it will be fine, but if it's not then come back here and we can all start helping get you back in the air.

Good luck.
I absolutely disagree.
Reward? Like what? My P3A starts having Obstacle avoidance out of a sudden or what?
Or my tablet galaxy tab pro 8.4 which stopped working since last dji go update, gets fixed now with AC update? And even if it does, something else stops working?
No thanks. I'd better stay with what i got. Sell my tablet, get one that works and never ever ever ever update neither FW, neither DJI go. I've learnt at least 2 lessons already. Enough for me flying with my girlfriends iphone for 2 months almost. Before DJI Go update Galaxy tab pro 8.4 was working perfectly.

Updates are not always supposed to be for better. (C) DJI

Since i am not in US sending back drone costs me 15% of drones cost. I already had that bitter experience due to FW Update. Enough of me.

I absolutely disagree.
Reward? Like what? My P3A starts having Obstacle avoidance out of a sudden or what?
Or my tablet galaxy tab pro 8.4 which stopped working since last dji go update, gets fixed now with AC update? And even if it does, something else stops working?
No thanks. I'd better stay with what i got. Sell my tablet, get one that works and never ever ever ever update neither FW, neither DJI go. I've learnt at least 2 lessons already. Enough for me flying with my girlfriends iphone for 2 months almost. Before DJI Go update Galaxy tab pro 8.4 was working perfectly.

Since i am not in US sending back drone costs me 15% of drones cost. I already had that bitter experience due to FW Update. Enough of me.
And what did DJI CS do to help?

I absolutely disagree.

Do you disagree that each person needs to research and decide for themselves about updating or not? That each person must decide to take the risk of having problems or not?

If you disagree with that, what do you think makes more sense?

For me it will always be to understand as best I can what the possible rewards may be with each new FW/App, and weigh that against the fact that it may not go as planned. Same as with most decisions in life.

Last edited:
If your flying a P3, and to a lesser extent P4 (non pro) the firmware upgrades are likley only required if you want to use the latest GO app. All the current feature adds and supposed bug fixes to the GO app seem to be for the latest AC (P4 pro, Inspire 2 and OSMO). The frustration (for me at least) is that DJI seems very light on in the release notes. It's hard to make an informed decision as to whether to stick with known good firmware or to upgrade (just in case they have added or changed something that may improve reliability or performance, it's a guessing game.

Good luck.
Really sound advice. Like all software and firmware these days, manufacturers seem to be able to get away with treating their customers as beta testers. That will change when there's a class action sooner or later, as has happened with car makers etc. They can't get away with it forever. Until then, adopt the simple approach. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it'. Yes it's sooo tempting to succumb to those constant nags to update.. but just remember, it's often a lot harder to go back, so why risk things? If your bird works just fine now.. just leave it be.

Sent from my SM-G930F using PhantomPilots mobile app

Do you disagree that each person needs to research and decide for themselves about updating or not? That each person must decide to take the risk of having problems or not?

If you disagree with that, what do you think makes more sense?

For me it will always be to understand as best I can what the possible rewards may be with each new FW/App, and weigh that against the fact that it may not go as planned. Same as with most decisions in life.

If it flies, let it be. As mentioned above. New updates wont add new functions to your drone. Fixing bugs era for p3 is over since 1.8 fw.

"Take risks of having problems"? Never heard of anyone taking that risk.

This last upgrade causes me issues like a lot others, the second or third dji rep I talked to did admit that there are "others" in there repair center that had exact same issues as mine during the last 1.10 upgrade , so for a DJI mod on there forum to say that they have not heard of anybody having issues after last upgrade is a blatant lie!! I have copied and pasted numerous threads and posts ready to send dji if they decide to charge me for this so called repair they are doing at the moment , will keep you guys posted as to what the outcome will be

If it flies, let it be. As mentioned above. New updates wont add new functions to your drone. Fixing bugs era for p3 is over since 1.8 fw.

"Take risks of having problems"? Never heard of anyone taking that risk.

Totally agree. If the Developers fully documented things clearly and in simple language so that users could make properly informed decisions there wouldn't be an issue. (DJI in this case, but this applies to all of them in my opinion) As it its really a gamble every time. Hence people's growing concerns not to update at all. Ultimately this is going to have a detrimental effect on vendors as trust breaks down. In my opinion the vendor who realises this is an opportunity to differentiate themselves will gain a huge advantage. Good old after sales service and quality will prevail.

Reactions: t2adze
Exactly. Only reason to update is to fix an issue caused by a previous update, which was also probably applied for some other fix and anyway end up with a new issue and wait for next "update".
Infinity until you crash.

Really sound advice. Like all software and firmware these days, manufacturers seem to be able to get away with treating their customers as beta testers. That will change when there's a class action sooner or later, as has happened with car makers etc. They can't get away with it forever.

Sent from my SM-G930F using PhantomPilots mobile app
hmm, might have to disagree with just that point, what with the massive move by manufacturers, with the Supreme Court's approval, to lock us all into waiving our right to take them to a real court, relegating us to arbitration/mediation, and with no right of class action there. Haven't checked, but I'll bet dji has taken care of that detail.

Good luck.
Follow this for real. I used to be so anxious to update my gear until I started reading this forum. Now I do just what oso said here. I read about any new firmware to see what it does and then decide if the changes are good enough to make me take a chance by updating. I'm not naive enough to think there will never be an issue, so it's always a risk to update even if we wish it was always 100% perfect. If the new firmware doesn't look like a big change, I usually choose to not take a chance and won't update. Others might think differently, but everyone should make an educated decision.

Last edited:
Tdaze,

Two P3Pro's still on FW 1.4, DJI Go 2.4.3 and Litchi 2.7.1. Happy, happy, happy! They got me on the P2V+ update that took out the wifi module never to be addressed. I learned my lesson.

IMHO, if it flies, performs properly to your satisfaction and you have the flight options that you need, leave it alone.

As a bonus, you'll be able to skip all of the "update bricked my...update caused flyaway...how to update...how to downgrade...after update dog ate my props.." threads and do a lot more flying!

To each his own!

Jerry

Tdaze,

IMHO, if it flies, performs properly to your satisfaction and you have the flight options that you need, leave it alone.

How does DJI react to a warranty claim when one is not on the current software/firmware?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic