Why so much hate for the Phantom 3 Standard?

I've flown a P3S since February and I've never been more happy with anything I've owned. The camera quality is still amazing, and the lack of 4K isn't a problem for me because I don't own any screens above 1080p! The thing is amazing, so incredibly easy to fly. It's not just a beginner drone (if anything the P4 is more of a beginner drone with its obstacle avoidance), it's not at all limited my creativity because of being "entry level." So get one! It's fantastic.

Reactions: macoman
I've flown a P3S since February and I've never been more happy with anything I've owned. The camera quality is still amazing, and the lack of 4K isn't a problem for me because I don't own any screens above 1080p! The thing is amazing, so incredibly easy to fly. It's not just a beginner drone (if anything the P4 is more of a beginner drone with its obstacle avoidance), it's not at all limited my creativity because of being "entry level." So get one! It's fantastic.
I could not agreed more... Happy with my standard... So great to fly!!!

Well I loved my Standard. I actually just sold it last weekend. After having the Pro now it was just sitting. I really had no reason to keep it.

Well it's my first 'serious' drone and I'm intending to use it for hobby based photography and video. Nothing serious, mainly landscapes and scouting out some abandoned buildings.

I understand that the Standard has limitations but being at the top of my budget it's really my only option!

Having said that all the footage and images I've seen from it seem more than good enough for my current needs.

You might consider looking for a P3-4K. It is a hybrid standard with a 4K camera and better controller. It is still Wi-Fi but the 4K video is great. Mine was $100 more than the standard at Best Buy last September.

With the prices these days you might be able to find a P3A or P at a great price too.

I think most of it comes from expectation not being met ..... people buy and want more than the model is really capable of. They then condemn it without looking closer at their own side of the matter.

If they would take the time to research a little more before spending their hard earned cash ... maybe they would not be so callous.

I bought my P3S and then for approx. $100 more created a 4500m range machine. But I did my research ... I was aware that the base machine was likely to be a disappointment in range ...

The P3S when taken in context of what it really is - is a good machine. Unfortunately DJI do not come 'clean' on reality with it ... its range out of box rarely meets their claims. That's where the problem lies.

Nigel

You might consider looking for a P3-4K. It is a hybrid standard with a 4K camera and better controller. It is still Wi-Fi but the 4K video is great. Mine was $100 more than the standard at Best Buy last September.

With the prices these days you might be able to find a P3A or P at a great price too.

Personally I would steer clear of the P3-4K ..... its a machine to try and cover two bases .... with discounts now on the discontinued P3A / P3P ..... go for those ...... with Lightbridge - its a far better deal.

Nigel

Love mine, I dont let mine out of line of sight unless its on a tour. It has always come back. 2k video is fine with me.

I think most of it comes from expectation not being met ..... people buy and want more than the model is really capable of. They then condemn it without looking closer at their own side of the matter.

If they would take the time to research a little more before spending their hard earned cash ... maybe they would not be so callous.

I bought my P3S and then for approx. $100 more created a 4500m range machine. But I did my research ... I was aware that the base machine was likely to be a disappointment in range ...

The P3S when taken in context of what it really is - is a good machine. Unfortunately DJI do not come 'clean' on reality with it ... its range out of box rarely meets their claims. That's where the problem lies.

Nigel
It is usually under certain conditions it can do claimed distances. Where I live in the country, I NEVER have a problem going out of site. SO, my curiosity did get the best of me. People make these claims it can't go very far. How far can my p3 s go? Between me and my friend 's house is nothing but forest. I went for it. Beautiful flight. Forest and valleys below me. I could see some farms to my right. I made it to his house at 2,260 meters. That's when my signal started to break up. It was on and off. So, I brought it home quickly. I was nervous and wanted to make sure I had enough battery.

Hi all, new guy here. I hate to start on a negative, but I have to ask.....

It seems to me as a casual observer that there's quite a bit of hate for the Phantom 3 Standard within the DJI community.

Im saying this as someone who is contemplating buying one (I'm on a tight budget and a refurbished P3S is as much as I can afford), and in the process of researching this purchase this is the general impression I've got.

I understand that it's a more basic entry level machine, but I'm wondering is there a genuine reason for this attitude or is it a case of (whisper it) a bit of elitism?

Please please please don't thing I'm trolling or trying to start a flame war, I'm just genuinely interested to know, especially before I make this sizable (to me anyway) purchase.

The Phantom 3 Standard is an excellent starter drone, I have had mine about a year now and have had no issues with it.........:) :) :)

I have a couple of P2 Vision plus units which are not too dissimilar to the P3 Std. Here in Oz the average-Joe is supposed to fly within-sight range. Still great fun to own and fly, and capable of producing some very nice videos. Just depends on what you want out of it. Latest features are nice, but require deeper pockets initially, and many don't get to use all the features till more advanced in their flying experience.
Don't buy a drone more expensive than you can afford to lose, especially when starting out. You can always upgrade as your skill increases.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart