Why so much hate for the Phantom 3 Standard?

Reaction score
Hi all, new guy here. I hate to start on a negative, but I have to ask.....

It seems to me as a casual observer that there's quite a bit of hate for the Phantom 3 Standard within the DJI community.

Im saying this as someone who is contemplating buying one (I'm on a tight budget and a refurbished P3S is as much as I can afford), and in the process of researching this purchase this is the general impression I've got.

I understand that it's a more basic entry level machine, but I'm wondering is there a genuine reason for this attitude or is it a case of (whisper it) a bit of elitism?

Please please please don't thing I'm trolling or trying to start a flame war, I'm just genuinely interested to know, especially before I make this sizable (to me anyway) purchase.

Minus its shorter range, possibility of Wi-Fi interference when flying in areas with Wi-Fi, basic remote controller, and lack of 4K video, it's still a great choice in the Phantom 3 lineup. Depending on your needs, those shortcomings might not be showstoppers for you.

I like mine too. Granted, the wifi issue can be a problem, but mine was solved with an Itelite DBS mod. And, I'm NOT into fancy photography or videos, so the P3S suits my needs. It's a good starting point if you want basic flight at a reasonable cost.

This Forum is a great place to learn the pros and cons of each model. Good luck ! [emoji106]

Minus its shorter range, possibility of Wi-Fi interference when flying in areas with Wi-Fi, basic remote controller, and lack of 4K video, it's still a great choice in the Phantom 3 lineup. Depending on your needs, those shortcomings might not be showstoppers for you.

Well it's my first 'serious' drone and I'm intending to use it for hobby based photography and video. Nothing serious, mainly landscapes and scouting out some abandoned buildings.

I understand that the Standard has limitations but being at the top of my budget it's really my only option!

Having said that all the footage and images I've seen from it seem more than good enough for my current needs.

I believe for someone not trying to worry about getting range out of it, but to go to building location, etc. and get excellent video, the standard will be just fine.

There's the thing; it meets your needs. Wants are a terrific thing to meet as well, if one can afford them.

I got my P3S because I didn't wish to spend more at the time. So, did I want a good quad to begin learning, or not at all in terms of choices? I chose to take the P3S, and if something happened to it (I got mine during BF last year for $329) I'm not out over 1K ..... And ... after learning on it, I could either mod it for range, or sell it to get the next thing up.

Last edited:
I understand that the Standard has limitations but being at the top of my budget it's really my only option!
If the limitations aren't going to limit you, then it would be a good option for you. DJI's aircraft are the best on the market.

Reactions: Proud_Hufflepuff
I love my P3S - i found for the price its a really exceptional bit of kit. If its the top of your budget buy it you wont be disappointed.

As people on here have said its abit annoying the wifi issue but just think how much range do you really need? Iv left mine stock and iv got 550m distance at a height of around 80m to me thats more than enough! I have just brought a windsurfer and at some point il probably try magic power but thats more out of interest than looking for more range.

The only issue i have (although strangely iv never actually had it affect my flights, as in affect handling etc.) is the strong interference warnings (really annoys me! haha) but slowly im learning to ignore them. I'm assuming it is caused by interference to the WiFi but apart from blocking part of the screen doesn't seem to be doing anything else!

My advise to you buy the P3S asap :)

After 2 months old, mine had a weird hardware issue where range became limited to 10% of what it was originally. Because I modded it, I could not get it covered under warranty so I have to sell it for parts. So I would only suggest that you don't modify it at all or at least until it's past it's warranty period to make sure everything is good.

I just bought a 2nd refurbished one for $319 and it's as good as new. Goes 6000ft without any modifications. I'm keeping it that way for now. Luckily, even if you have to sell it for parts, you can most likely come close to recovering the $300. I paid closer to $500 for my first one so I probably won't come close to recovering that. But $300 is a real bargain. Even if it was just a camera, that price would be pretty good.

I don't hear 'hate' for them. They just aren't as feature packed. It is a great drone for what you get. The distance is the only limiting factor. I recently upgraded to a P3P refurb because the short distance on the Standard was very limiting. I will say that you will probably regret not getting the Pro or Advanced with the built in Lightbridge. If you can I would! I got my refurb P3P from the Dronenerds ebay store for $550.

Also with that said I intend on keeping my Standard for close up flights/photography.

Interesting. I've never picked up on anyone really knocking the P3S from an elitest standpoint. Just as others have said... it has limited capabilities, but among serious droners... a good many HAVE S's in their arsenal and still USE them.

(strictly MY opinion)
As an entry level, I think it's still a solid platform. As the 3's are starting to "age out" though and with some of the great deals you can find on A's and P's these days.. as Jesse_M said.. you might grow out of the S rather quickly and might regret not shopping around a bit more and go with an Adv. Being a bit lower in demand than the Pro, it's kind of in that "sweet spot" as a more advanced beginners platform for not much more out of pocket.

That being said, I'm not a professional video/photo buff. Standard HD keeps me plenty happy and if I'm going to be making a run at a waterfall or a deep canyon... I'm sending my 3S! ;)

As Alivilla47 said.. if an S is at the absolute top of your budget then do it! It certainly won't disappoint.

Once you're drone "bit" though.. don't be suprised if you're willing to eat instant ramen for the next 6 months just to save up for a Mavic P. :D

I brough my standard as I got the bug flying cheap cymas. Go for it the standard will still knock your socks off. Yea some have problems and some days flight is more stable and one day a bit rocky. But it does all you need.

If you are anything like me, fancy a drone don't want to loose a thousand pound get that standard

Alot of people are un happy with the range they get. I personally are getting around 7 to 8 hundred metres with a windsurfer I got from amazon for about 8 pounds. The camera it very capable of catching fantastic videos and great stills. If this is your first more expensive drone you will love it. If straight away you want to fly miles away then better keep saving for a p3 professional. My opinion is its a great drone and great value for money. Whatever you decide to do enjoy flying.

i dont think there is more " hate" for the standard, there are just so many in use that you tend to hear more feedback, and the nature of forums is people sign up for help when they have an issue, .......not to say how much they enjoy the product.

my p3s has been great so far !

I like mine too. Granted, the wifi issue can be a problem, but mine was solved with an Itelite DBS mod. And, I'm NOT into fancy photography or videos, so the P3S suits my needs. It's a good starting point if you want basic flight at a reasonable cost.

This Forum is a great place to learn the pros and cons of each model. Good luck ! [emoji106]

Any ideas if anyone sells the Itelite in the U.K it looks the biz

Well it's my first 'serious' drone and I'm intending to use it for hobby based photography and video. Nothing serious, mainly landscapes and scouting out some abandoned buildings.

Having said that all the footage and images I've seen from it seem more than good enough for my current needs.
I bought a refurbished P3S a few months back, after 4 years of building all kind of drones (from 110mm to 650mm). I paid $324 for it, directly from DJI thru a Newegg special

There is simply nothing else in that price range even remotely comparable. The only thing I miss is 1080p 60 fps. I have no use for 4k, but 1080p 60 fps is much smoother than 1080p 30fps when filming fast moving objects. All in all, though, very happy

Since I live in the USA, the P3S has more range than I'm legally allowed to fly. This board seems to have a weird fascination with long range, but very few people in real life need more range than the P3S offers (and, if so, there are mods you can make).

As long as you don't overpay your P3S (i.e. buy refurb, it's as good as new and much cheaper), you will enjoy your P3S and, by the time you outgrow it, you can sell it on Craigslist (or your country equivalent) for almost the same amount you paid, making its "total cost of ownership" pretty low. Higher end drones offer a lot more, but cost a lot more, too, and lose more when resold (think Honda Civic vs luxury sport car)

Can you buy better than a P3S? Absolutely. Can you buy better value than a P3S? I highly doubt it... the only exception was the folks who managed to get the refurb P3P for $539 a few weeks back...

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20