Why so much hate for the Phantom 3 Standard?

I see a number of people referencing the "wifi issues" with the P3S. Could someone either explain what issue or issues they are referring to, or provide a link to another post or page that gives that info? I looked around but didn't see any posts that specifically addressed that. Thanks!

I also have the P3s and do i like it................you better believe i like it, flies like its on rails, camera is just superb, range is not an issue as i am in the UK and i can only see it (los) out to 430 meters, if i trashed it or lost it would i replace like for like, without doubt, i dont need the range of the P3A, i was shooting in 2.7K but now shoot in 1080 and it does all i want.
Had mine a year now and it has been great, at first i wondered if i had bought the right drone but love it now. i also build my own like S550 Hex and now building a 600 Naza quad but P3 is my filming rig

Hi all, new guy here. I hate to start on a negative, but I have to ask.....

It seems to me as a casual observer that there's quite a bit of hate for the Phantom 3 Standard within the DJI community.

Im saying this as someone who is contemplating buying one (I'm on a tight budget and a refurbished P3S is as much as I can afford), and in the process of researching this purchase this is the general impression I've got.

I understand that it's a more basic entry level machine, but I'm wondering is there a genuine reason for this attitude or is it a case of (whisper it) a bit of elitism?

Please please please don't thing I'm trolling or trying to start a flame war, I'm just genuinely interested to know, especially before I make this sizable (to me anyway) purchase.
Probably snobbery mate.

Reactions: pomonabill220
Well it's my first 'serious' drone and I'm intending to use it for hobby based photography and video. Nothing serious, mainly landscapes and scouting out some abandoned buildings.

I understand that the Standard has limitations but being at the top of my budget it's really my only option!

Having said that all the footage and images I've seen from it seem more than good enough for my current needs.
I also have a P3S with the Itelite DBS mod, I've had it out over a mile. I find the Photos and videos to be of good + quality and besides, it's fun to fly. Try it, you'll like it.

I too am new to flying; got my first drone about 3 weeks ago. I had my eye on a few different machines for several months, but finally on impulse went to best buy and picked up my p3s.

I guess as always it depends on what your purposes are; just for fun and learning, or for top of the line photography, etc. No, it's not 4k, but the photos and video are still very clear and impressive. As far as I'm concerned, I'm amazed at all this thing can do, particularly for the price, and going straight to best buy was definitely NOT the cheapest way to buy it.

The initial setup... All very easy and relatively straight forward. The stability, ease of flight, beginner mode, built-in simulator- all this will have you flying like a pro in no time. The camera and gimbal confounds me; if you watch the machine in flight, while you're making minute adjustments, naturally the drone might jerk and jump somewhat. But playback the video and it's completely flat and stable. Really, even at new price of +/- $500, what you're doing is buying a pretty decent GoPro and gimbal and getting the drone for free (and it's a REALLY nice flying free drone, too).

The Go app gets poor reviews, but so far i have no complaints, and am impressed with the communication quality between drone/controller/phone or tablet. The engineering necessary to accomplish that sort of communication between devices is amazing to me. I haven't gotten into Litchi yet, but that's another plus- you've got options.

Range hasn't been an issue for me so far- I reach 1675 feet (which is the default factory limit, I haven't lifted it yet) with no signal troubles, even around steel buildings and wifi. Keep in mind as well, that this is MORE than enough distance to lose sight of it, even at dusk with the lights flashing. Part of me would love to be able to reach out multiple miles, but I still feel like there's significant risk involved being that far away from your machine.

All in all, I'm not saying a p3s is the best option for everyone, but there is no shame in buying one. And again, I'm no expert on the entire drone market, but It honestly has to be the best value out there if you want to get started, without being a glorified "toy". After several flight hours, I'm still impressed by it, my friends are amazed by it. If it's just not enough for you, no doubt you can find someone to take it off your hands for close to what you paid, but I'm pretty sure you'll keep it.

Last edited:
Yeh brought mine from Scan great company! I'd highly recommend and it's the cheapest one I would find anywhere!
Cheers for that. I am not back in the UK till the end of September but they will be my first choice. I just wish they were closer to London. I wonder if they do vat back for non residents? If they do it would be worth the trip up to Bolton. I am awaiting delivery of two X5Cs that I can spend the next four months learning to fly before I buy a Phantom. I really want a P4A/P but I am not prepared to lose the money when it depreciates. In a year or two it might be within my budget. The camera on it is really what I want. An ability to use a camera on manual is a major plus for me.

I had several types of drones, then got a Phantom 3 Pro and loved it. Then I pieced together a P3S and have them both. I really like the P3S so go for it.

I fly using the Litchi app, strongly suggest that BUT I had WIFI connection problems if the DJI Go app was even on the Android phone much less turned on. I had to uninstall DJI Go to have a consistent connection. I do have a connection problem with one of my Android tablets.

I like the P3S because I feel that if I loose it, it is not as great of loss if the P3P was lost.

You will love the P3S and no I don;t hear hate for the P3S.

Reactions: macoman
Cheers for that. I am not back in the UK till the end of September but they will be my first choice. I just wish they were closer to London. I wonder if they do vat back for non residents? If they do it would be worth the trip up to Bolton. I am awaiting delivery of two X5Cs that I can spend the next four months learning to fly before I buy a Phantom. I really want a P4A/P but I am not prepared to lose the money when it depreciates. In a year or two it might be within my budget. The camera on it is really what I want. An ability to use a camera on manual is a major plus for me.

Scan have most varieties of phantom and they do next day DPD so all round good service :)

It seems to me as a casual observer that there's quite a bit of hate for the Phantom 3 Standard within the DJI community.

Im saying this as someone who is contemplating buying one (I'm on a tight budget and a refurbished P3S is as much as I can afford), and in the process of researching this purchase this is the general impression I've got.

I understand that it's a more basic entry level machine, but I'm wondering is there a genuine reason for this attitude or is it a case of (whisper it) a bit of elitism?

Please please please don't thing I'm trolling or trying to start a flame war, I'm just genuinely interested to know, especially before I make this sizable (to me anyway) purchase.
Hi, I just bought a refurbished P3S and love it. Great for videos and still shots. It's the "experts" that do not like it because they are into pro models with higher quality camera. For amateurs like myself I love mine!

Still flying my p2 with zenmuse H3 3D with 200mw fpv with gopro and parabolic reflector on the controller. I get good 1.7k +range. No need for an app to keep disconnecting on me lol. I just zone in and use my flying skills to get the shots then it's all in the editing process. Some time less is more I love my p2 .[emoji16]

I drowned mine in a river, I mean shoulder high river. I learned two things from that outing. Trees are evil, and if you pull a bird out of a river the first thing to do is pull the battery and shut it off. I replaced the main board and battery to now have a quad that flies and shoots great video. Tough machine and fun to fly.

I drowned mine in a river, I mean shoulder high river. I learned two things from that outing. Trees are evil, and if you pull a bird out of a river the first thing to do is pull the battery and shut it off. I replaced the main board and battery to now have a quad that flies and shoots great video. Tough machine and fun to fly.
I bought my Standard from a guy where his girlfriend through his drone into the swimming pool. The main board was bad but the camera was good. So I guess water kills the main board but not the camera.

I bought my Standard from a guy where his girlfriend through his drone into the swimming pool. The main board was bad but the camera was good. So I guess water kills the main board but not the camera.
She was probably pretty upset on him in not buying her what she wants... Lol

Bye Bye girlfriend!

Some people need a better camera ( drone) for their own appellation and needs. Don't be influenced by people who have to have top of the line for pride sake. Get what suits your taste and budget. It is a great drone. Line of site is the law. It does that and more. If you want more range for what ever reason, there are quick fixes for that. Just have a great time and experience with your p3s!

Reactions: Proud_Hufflepuff
I've become a more fearful pilot w/ my PS3 after 2 stupid crashes that took it out of service. Still, I have yet to fly beyond the signal capability except when blocked by buildings or landscape and my furthest is 2500 ft, where I got nervous and reversed direction. I use this 15 dollar dish style antenna extender. I could not have spent the kind of money needed for the P4 or the Mavic. Its not my only hobby/interest in life. There's always an upgrade available with any electronics but the P3S has been perfect for my needs... which are pretty much for my own entertainment. Best.

Reactions: Proud_Hufflepuff

Mine was a gift. after few hiccups and a upgrade on the firmware I finally got to fly mine. so far so good. give it a try , it's a great first time learning craft.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart