Why isn't the P2V+ Wifi network password protected?

Reaction score
Just curious,

Why doesn't the Phantom_XXXX Wifi link get password protected?

I'm just wondering ... if someone else in the area "sees this network" and tries to Connect on their local device (which they can), would it interfere with our Phantom flying? Could it cause a disruption or loss in signal?

plasmo said:
Just curious,

I'm just wondering ... if someone else in the area "sees this network" and tries to Connect on their local device (which they can), would it interfere with our Phantom flying? Could it cause a disruption or loss in signal?

As I understand it, the Phantom's FPV Wi-Fi transmitter is only for video. It does not allow someone to take over the aircraft's flight controls. The Phantom does not broadcast its Wi-FiSSID (only the extender does), and it only allows a single connection. Thus, once the extender has linked to the Phantom, the system is essentially locked.

Dirty Bird said:
plasmo said:
Just curious,

As I understand it, the Phantom's FPV Wi-Fi transmitter is only for video. It does not allow someone to take over the aircraft's flight controls. The Phantom does not broadcast its Wi-FiSSID (only the extender does), and it only allows a single connection. Thus, once the extender has linked to the Phantom, the system is essentially locked.
no really locked, you still connect to it with your mobile device...

Has anyone tried connecting to their V+ with more than one mobile device at a time to see what happens?

Does DJI have an api for the phantoms? I know with A.R. Drones there is an API for use if developers want to make 3rd party apps and such, you are able to then SSH into the drone and command it to do things or even just have it fall out of the sky.

If the Phantom is capable of being SSH'ed into in the same way, I'm wondering if its possible to write a script that scans for phantom wifi hotspots, if found it connects, issues a new home location and forces RTH. This would take control of the phantom and send it where ever the attacher sets as the home location.

ROLF now that I think about it people could setup a long range wifi setup at their home that just scans all day and any phantom it finds it just forces it to fly and land in their back yard. They come home and find a back yard full of drones.

This is all worth looking into further.

Someone on these forums already posted that they were working on an app that connects to the phantom during flight and sets the wifi signal levels way up boosting the wifi range. Someone could use this same method to first inject a new home location and then turn wifi power way down as to make the owner of the phantom out of range, it would then automatically start heading to its new home location.

Your phone actually connects to the Extender, which acts as a bridge between the Phantom & your phone. Once these three components are connected, I don't believe it allows another connection. Now I am not an expert on the the Phantom's FPV system, but this is my understanding of how it functions.

From my experience in home networking the more security put on the less the distance can be achieved, this may have or may not have been a consideration.

I just fired up and connected to my P2V+ with 3 different android devices at the same time... only the first device to connect can view the camera screen... BUT... All of them can get into the settings menu and change settings at the same time :shock:

DBS said:
I just fired up and connected to my P2V+ with 3 different android devices at the same time... only the first device to connect can view the camera screen... BUT... All of them can get into the settings menu and change settings at the same time :shock:
So this apparently proves that more than one connection is possible...

Assuming that one could connect with the Wi-Fi network, the only thing anyone could possibly do would be to access the camera functions. The controller is on an entirely different frequency in the 2.4 gig band, whereas the FPV operates in the 5.8 gig range. Could that be jammed? I'm sure it could with the right equipment and knowledge, but it's waaaay down on the list of things I worry about.

EDIT...I just read the post by DBS, very interesting to see some actual experience with this. I wonder if the camera tilt can be controlled by the other devices??

MikesTooLz said:
Someone could use this same method to first inject a new home location and then turn wifi power way down as to make the owner of the phantom out of range, it would then automatically start heading to its new home location.

You cannot reset home location or initiate RTH via WiFi channel.

DBS said:

Interesting.

AnselA said:
MikesTooLz said:
Someone could use this same method to first inject a new home location and then turn wifi power way down as to make the owner of the phantom out of range, it would then automatically start heading to its new home location.

I'm not convinced that is the case, another user on the forum has had success changing the wifi signal levels but they were increasing the levels for better range. Lowering the signal would drop the owner out of range triggering the RTH function.

Topeeka said:
Assuming that one could connect with the Wi-Fi network, the only thing anyone could possibly do would be to access the camera functions. The controller is on an entirely different frequency in the 2.4 gig band, whereas the FPV operates in the 5.8 gig range. Could that be jammed? I'm sure it could with the right equipment and knowledge, but it's waaaay down on the list of things I worry about.

EDIT...I just read the post by DBS, very interesting to see some actual experience with this. I wonder if the camera tilt can be controlled by the other devices??

Nope... you can't access the camera page once a device is already connected...

Update: in my previous post I mentioned that all devices could access the settings page and change settings... not true... While the other two devices could access the settings page and click on things... The settings aren't accepted by the Phantom... I tried doing simple things like changing the FPV screen resolution... doesn't change anything on the control device... or switching the gimbal into FPV mode... doesn't work either

MikesTooLz said:
AnselA said:
MikesTooLz said:

I'm not convinced that is the case, another user on the forum has had success changing the wifi signal levels but they were increasing the levels for better range. Lowering the signal would drop the owner out of range triggering the RTH function.

wifi/2.4 has zero to do with triggering a RTH on the PV2 or PV2+ (Cant speak for other models because I havent owned them)

MikesTooLz said:
AnselA said:
MikesTooLz said:

RTH is triggered by the loss of transmitter signal (5.8 GHz). WiFi (2.4 GHz) is on separate channel.

phantomguy said:
wifi/2.4 has zero to do with triggering a RTH on the PV2 or PV2+ (Cant speak for other models because I havent owned them)

True... killing the wifi signal wouldn't trigger RTH so that's not an issue...

I really tried to mess up anything I could this morning with the second android connected device while the phantom hovering in front of me... The second device is pretty much locked out of making any changes so I have set my mind at ease as far as being hijacked thru a wifi hack...

DBS said:
Nope... you can't access the camera page once a device is already connected...

Update: in my previous post I mentioned that all devices could access the settings page and change settings... not true... While the other two devices could access the settings page and click on things... The settings aren't accepted by the Phantom... I tried doing simple things like changing the FPV screen resolution... doesn't change anything on the control device... or switching the gimbal into FPV mode... doesn't work either

Thank you for the clarification. I thought that was the way it was supposed to work. Once the three components (phone, extender, Phantom) link, they are locked.

I don't think you guys get that it does not matter what frequency you are connecting on. If you are somehow able to issue commands directly to the drone or obtain direct access to the drone via SSH or some other method you could possible kill or lower the power output to both frequency antenna's giving no control or visual. RTH would then kick in.

I'll try and do some research/testing this weekend on my vision+ and let everyone know if I find anything.

The answer is surely that it reduced complexity (reduces dev effort and potential problems and support hassles) to just go w/o encryption.

It should be encrypted. All WiFI traffic should. It doesn't even matter if the lack of encryption can lead to any kind of exploit or not. It's just good practice. Should be Standard Operating Procedure.

Consider that DJI doesn't even sign their PC software. That may give you some indication of how much importance they are placing on software development. It's a common mistake made by many corporations, putting too low a priority on software development.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl