Why have a drone that goes 7 k.

Reaction score
When in the U.S. you have to keep it in sight. You let it get out of sight and you are breaking the law. Maybe the amplifiers and special antennas should be illegal? Kinda soft spot, isn't it. Lol I understand it is good to have a strong signal to make sure you have control of you drone. Your thoughts?

Maybe the amplifiers and special antennas should be illegal?
Right out of the box, the latest drones can fly 4.3 miles. That's already well beyond VLOS as-is stock.

The Phantom is made in China as are most all prosumer UAV's. They do not design them only for the USA. Some places on the globe don't all have restrictive rules. You also hit the USA nail on the head. Nothing worse than video dropout when you are trying to align a shot within VLOS. My DJI quads have plenty of signal but my Autel, not so much so that quad has a DBS panel antenna on it. Not so I can fly far out of sight, but to maintain signal throughout the flight.

Reactions: Dan Lee
When in the U.S. you have to keep it in sight. You let it get out of sight and you are breaking the law. Maybe the amplifiers and special antennas should be illegal? Kinda soft spot, isn't it. Lol I understand it is good to have a strong signal to make sure you have control of you drone. Your thoughts?

In the US it IS illegal to modify your FCC Part-15 type accepted equipment including passive devices like antennas.

The amplifiers are not Part-15 accepted and do require a license. There will likely be 'fine print' saying so for US sales but it is NOT up to the vendor/retailer to vet customers on FCC compliance.

Reactions: WV. Rootman
Just because my truck could probably do 110 mph ish, doesn't mean I drive around at 110mph ish.
True, great point! So why would you spend the money to make it go 200 miles an hour. You don't need it, IF you are driving legally.
DJI drones out of the box go beyond line of site. So why make it go much farther? You don't need it, IF you are flying legally.

so you never go 60 in a 55???

do you obey EVERY law???
I'm a no good lawbreaking tramp. Now, what does my obeying the law have to do with the question?
I was just asking a question. I'm not pointing fingers. Some of the responses to my question has thought me something's.
I do think WE are in for a rude awakening if WE think WE can do what ever WE want. The more people are caught breaking the rules, the more WE will be regulated. Or you could say RESTRICTED!

I'm a no good lawbreaking tramp. Now, what does my obeying the law have to do with the question?
I was just asking a question. I'm not pointing fingers. Some of the responses to my question has thought me something's.
I do think WE are in for a rude awakening if WE think WE can do what ever WE want. The more people are caught breaking the rules, the more WE will be regulated. Or you could say RESTRICTED!

The more all this is talked about and shown on the internet, the more the authorities can see what needs regulated. Adding mods is great, but maybe the idea should be presented by just saying- "hey, try this idea, no more signal drop within sight" then move on. The posts showing someone fling miles away and then more and more people confirm it works is just nothing but asking for bans and or regulations.

If/When caught and prosecuted, one could foresee the authorities adding-on civil penalties for FCC violations as well.

The more all this is talked about and shown on the internet, the more the authorities can see what needs regulated. Adding mods is great, but maybe the idea should be presented by just saying- "hey, try this idea, no more signal drop within sight" then move on. The posts showing someone fling miles away and then more and more people confirm it works is just nothing but asking for bans and or regulations.
We are only kidding ourselves. The faa is far from stupid. I don't like regulations. We can say what we want and phrase things nicely. People will not always be on guard of what they say. Saying things nicely will not keep mishaps from happening. I said that too nicely. Disasters from happening. I would hate to hear about someone being hurt or killed. The more we hear about close calls the more of a chance something serious is going to happen. I see the day when we all be required to have transponders on our drones. We will be accountable for every move of our stick on the controller.

you don't have anything to worry about, at least for 3.5 more years...

this dopey president we have will never add anti-drone regulations.... haven't you heard, he doesn't like regulations either.....

worrying about future regulations about drones is not even on my list of things to worry about.... my list is rather short....

Unless it's limited in the drones firmware it's going to be next to impossible to regulate the distance we are flying. Seeing how if we are a mile out they would have no idea where the operator of the drone is at to bust him.

Last edited by a moderator:
Depending on where you live - modifying / having are not illegal. The illegal part comes when you USE it ... basically when you power on.

I am part of a team assisting Govt to form guidelines and rules for RC models. Already we have had examples of videos being identified on Youtube and Vimeo by authorities and we asked to comment / advise.

To give example ... in capital Riga - videos were put up online from a camera drone flying UNDER the main bridges and also close to and around the main TV tower. These led to serious questions.

My point is regardless of what we add to our models ... the out of box models some especially the P3S have been poor in range ability. This leads people to look for modifications to at least gain reasonable range.

I have boosted my P3S to give over 4.5km range but now rarely fly more than 800m or so. To be honest I got bored after I achieved the range boost. Now I enjoy the P3S as a pure camera carrier with moderate range, having taken the boost gear off. I now fly with well fitted basic Argtek system and enjoy reliable signal. I can put the boost gear back on the Argtek if needed but ....

Nigel

Depending on where you live - modifying / having are not illegal. The illegal part comes when you USE it ... basically when you power on.

I am part of a team assisting Govt to form guidelines and rules for RC models. Already we have had examples of videos being identified on Youtube and Vimeo by authorities and we asked to comment / advise.

To give example ... in capital Riga - videos were put up online from a camera drone flying UNDER the main bridges and also close to and around the main TV tower. These led to serious questions.

Nigel

Exactly my point to the online show and tell.

In the US it IS illegal to modify your FCC Part-15 type accepted equipment including passive devices like antennas.

The amplifiers are not Part-15 accepted and do require a license. There will likely be 'fine print' saying so for US sales but it is NOT up to the vendor/retailer to vet customers on FCC compliance.
Very interesting. Thank you for that.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl