Why doesn't my 4K footage look as good as on YT?

Reaction score
When I look at my footage, obviously it doesn't look as good because of the post-processing, but that's more for the colors. It's as if my footage is at 1080p, and theirs is 4K. However, I am filming in 4K at 30fps. Anyone have any tips?

What kind of screen are you using to view the video I had to change from my acre to my msi to see the full quality I think for the screen and the higher graphics card and processor so double check the device you use to view the video hope this helps

When I look at my footage, obviously it doesn't look as good because of the post-processing, but that's more for the colors. It's as if my footage is at 1080p, and theirs is 4K. However, I am filming in 4K at 30fps. Anyone have any tips?

Where's the video?? Hard to tell you what you are doing wrong as words just do not help.

It could be a lot of factors. 4K is really a waste.

So you think 4K is a waste, do you? Well, 4K footage converted to 1080p is of higher quality than footage shot only in 1080p. Just goes to show you in how much you think you know about video resolution.

I'm using an iPad Air 2

I then export the footage to my MacBook Air 2015 4gb ram.
Do you mean that you are exporting the low quality video from your Air 2 to your Mac (which has a relatively low res screen) and then uploading that low quality video to YT?
If so, that's your problem.
The only high quality video (4k or otherwise) is on your SD card.

Reactions: JoBe
Well, I use an adapter card to export the vids on my sd card to my mac. The details say that there are 4K pixels, but the quality doesn't look that great :/

The resolution on yt can depend on the browser - and of course you have looked at the settings, I presume? (Sometimes it defaults to 480dpi.)
I find OE offers worse resolution than Chrome, for some reason..

Can you clarify? Are you saying that when you watch other people's 4K videos on YT they look great, but when you watch your own 4K videos on YT they look bad?

A MacBook Air from 2015 with only 4gb of RAM doesn't even have a 4K screen does it? Is it able to even handle playing 4K video from your SD card or from YT?

Last edited:
Well, I use an adapter card to export the vids on my sd card to my mac. The details say that there are 4K pixels, but the quality doesn't look that great :/

I think you're a little confused as to what 4K, or Ultra High Definition actually is, as it has nothing to do with "4K pixals". What I can tell you is that neither your iPad or MacBook Airs are UHD. To fully appreciate UHD you need a 4K TV or a PC Monitor capable of resolving UHD video and a video card capable of playing it. If you do not have either of these, I'm sorry to burst your bubble, but you'll find that you've never actually viewed anything so far in UHD.

Do you mean that you are exporting the low quality video from your Air 2 to your Mac (which has a relatively low res screen)

A MacBook Air from 2015 with only 4gb of RAM doesn't even have a 4K screen does it?

No, by definition, to watch full UHD video, you need device capabie of playing it and a UHD display to watch it.

@Numone - thanks for driving home the point that @JoBe and I were trying to make and doing a better job than I did of making it clear to readers.

Cheers! :)

Reactions: JoBe and Numone
On my Mac 4K video doesn't look awesome. BUT on my 4K TV it is breathtaking. The clarity is out of this world.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl