Why does DJI allow a CSC in flight?

if anything id' be nice for the CSC to be a non-stick command or to have a regular throttle stick ;)

One thing you have to realize is that you always will come to the conclusion that you're about to crash the moment just prior to impact. This leaves little time to think about which button it was and where it's located. Your fingers are already on the sticks and the command is designed to be accessible in an area that is never used, by experienced pilots at least.. I see nothing wrong about their thought process there.

Everything has trade-offs, it's just a matter of optimizing them all to maximize the benefit with minimal sacrifice.

Since P3 in now available at Staples, maybe Walmart next, expect to see a lot of Newbies, with that a lot of non-RTFM. Should anything be done to prevent a lot falling drones? Just saying...

Since P3 in now available at Staples, maybe Walmart next, expect to see a lot of Newbies, with that a lot of non-RTFM. Should anything be done to prevent a lot falling drones? Just saying...

It would really disappoint me to see that happen. If someone goes out and buys something like this, without experience, and expects to be able to fly it without reading more than a few sentences, they deserve to learn the hard way. Sometimes that's the only way you can learn something..

Reactions: Marlin009
THIS IS NOT A TOY!!, if you bought it thinking it was you need to either educate yourself, or sell it, because you're going to crash, and maybe hurt someone. This is a flying camera...period, that's it, if you wanted a toy go to Fry's and spend $50 on a toy copter or baby quad. As an experienced pilot you would NEVER encounter a flight attitude that would require this combination of stick positions except possibly on a racing drone, which this decidedly is NOT.

" It would be near impossible to preform a CSC in flight unless you intended to do one."

Yet newbies seem to do it once a week unintentionally. For this very reason the whole CSC procedure should be re-evaluated. Just because it's not changed since the dawn of drones, is no reason NOT to look at the procedure once in a while.
You may be right on that statistic but that only shows that most new flyers are not properly educated in the operation of their new $1200+ "toy". I have been involved with RC heli's for many, many years and have never heard of anyone having the CSC be a problem, until recently. My explanation is that people uneducated in the world of RC's are now drawn to it by "cool" videos & commercials, etc. Many of them have more money than brains and there have been some problems. Another poster mentioned how larger RC heli's never come RTF (read to fly) for a good reason. The Phantom has become affordable to many and not everyone who buys one has the knowledge or responsibility to fly one.

Reactions: Marlin009
Every week I read about someone doing aerobatic with their drone and sometimes watching it plummet to the ground after a possible CSC maneuver
Dave .. you need to learn the difference between what you imagine after reading a few threads and what is really happening in the real world.
Every week I read people talking about unintentional CSC .. this is another one.
But I don't read accounts of it happening anywhere near that often. It's very rare.
The answers to your questions have been posted again and again in many threads and if you have been reading as much as your post suggests, I shouldn't need to repeat them.
" It would be near impossible to perform a CSC in flight unless you intended to do one."
Yet newbies seem to do it once a week unintentionally.
What you say seems to happen is quite different from what is actually happening.
Should anything be done to prevent a lot falling drones? Just saying...
Dave .. there really isn't a problem of a lot falling drones caused by inadvertent CSC.
On the scale of actual problems encountered by Phantom pilots, accidental CSC doesn't rate.
Crashing into trees and buildings, on the other hand are involved in a large number of incidents.

Reactions: Stephan
CSC is good that is pretty clear. I wonder though why so many CSC options though?

I think I am pretty skilled. Flew RC choppers that took ages to learn and destroy, but I am still freaked out every now and then when I try something new, that it may be a CSC. Clearly hard to do but it is always in the back of your mind.

anyone know why so many?

CSC based on sensors doesnt work. CSC allows to turn off motors if your quad is upside down (=non-barometer sees unlimited altitude, and barometer needs calibration indoors/isnt as reliable)

if anything id' be nice for the CSC to be a non-stick command or to have a regular throttle stick ;)
uhhh wut? lol

Barometers do not see altitude, they feel it. VPS would not work if upside down, but the barometer would still feel exactly the same barometric pressure, so still know it's altitude. HVAC would mess with barometer when indoors, I dare say the P3 is programmed to rely only on VPS in lieu of barometer in those cases.

CSC is good that is pretty clear. I wonder though why so many CSC options though?

I think I am pretty skilled. Flew RC choppers that took ages to learn and destroy, but I am still freaked out every now and then when I try something new, that it may be a CSC. Clearly hard to do but it is always in the back of your mind.

anyone know why so many?
The Phantom 2 had 4 possible CSC combinations. Phantom 3 only has 2, neither of which is a combination that makes any sense in actual flight.

There has been only 1 (One) confirmed case of inadvertent CSC on this forum since the Phantom 3 came out. That was a guy who was flying backwards at maximum speed filming speeding boats. For some reason he felt the need to descend at maximum rate at the same time as he commanded a maximum left bank angle while commanding a maximum right yaw rotation.

Give me a break!

There have been a few threads where people have theorized that somebody crashed their Phantom due to CSC, but somehow they never get around to showing a screen shot of their flight record with the control position. Takes like 10 seconds to do that, but they don't.

This whole "inadvertent CSC" thing has been way overblown and over discussed. Quit worrying about it and just fly.

I agree, it is overblown...

Give me a break!
it hurts you huh :)

As I said it is hard to do... I agree

If you are trying to shoot creatively, you are often not aware of what you are doing is all I am saying...

My fault for thinking there was 2, then 4, I agree there is only 2...

CSC?
is for emergency stop when everything doesn't work properly. No xxx feet up, if VPS, in xxx mode... IMHO.
Please see other threads, repeatedly discussing. :)

I agree with removing it or a confirmation. I think the CSC is stupid as hell.

its for emergency stop when everything doesn't work properly? So then why would CSC work properly if nothing is working properly?

The Phantom 2 had 4 possible CSC combinations. Phantom 3 only has 2, neither of which is a combination that makes any sense in actual flight.

There has been only 1 (One) confirmed case of inadvertent CSC on this forum since the Phantom 3 came out. That was a guy who was flying backwards at maximum speed filming speeding boats. For some reason he felt the need to descend at maximum rate at the same time as he commanded a maximum left bank angle while commanding a maximum right yaw rotation.

Give me a break!

There have been a few threads where people have theorized that somebody crashed their Phantom due to CSC, but somehow they never get around to showing a screen shot of their flight record with the control position. Takes like 10 seconds to do that, but they don't.

This whole "inadvertent CSC" thing has been way overblown and over discussed. Quit worrying about it and just fly.

Actually I have to quite disagree. Even though I have not CSC on accident - "yet". I have caught myself pressing the CSC combination a couple times. The only thing is I didn't hold the sticks 100% into position. They were like 75-90% there. How did I do that you ask? It's actually quite easy. Try getting an orbit shot around an object and you will catch yourself using the CSC combination.

Reactions: QuikSilver15
Try getting an orbit shot around an object and you will catch yourself using the CSC combination.
I have done orbit shots. Just never occurred to me that flying backwards/sideways at 31 miles per hour while descending at maximum rate was the way to do it. I think I'd get dizzy doing that.

Reactions: Rider82
forget about CSC issues. the problem i have is the "full down" mode on the left stick. if i want to bring her down, it's an issue. if i want to bring her down quickly, it's a bigger issue. if i give it to my brother-in-law to play with, i'm scared to death they will bury the stick bringing her down, even after multiple warnings. CSC is nothing compared to that issue.

forget about CSC issues. the problem i have is the "full down" mode on the left stick. if i want to bring her down, it's an issue. if i want to bring her down quickly, it's a bigger issue. if i give it to my brother-in-law to play with, i'm scared to death they will bury the stick bringing her down, even after multiple warnings. CSC is nothing compared to that issue.

You clearly are a new guy. I love the "full down" mode on the left stick you speak of.
First of all. I would never hold the stick 100% full down in fear of Vortex Ring State. I hold it 75-95% all the time for 30+ seconds. Never had a problem. Motors never shut off. If you fear your brother in law will crash it. Well, don't let him fly it, simple. If you plan on holding the left throttle stick 100% for more than 5 seconds while still in the air, you need to do more research and google VRS before you put your bird back up in the air and danger other people.

I have done orbit shots. Just never occurred to me that flying backwards/sideways at 31 miles per hour while descending at maximum rate was the way to do it. I think I'd get dizzy doing that.

I never said anything about going 31 miles per hour or descending. I will say that holding both sticks down and outwards or down and inwards will initiate CSC. I don't try to descend. But, have caught myself in close CSC combinations by trying to orbit around an object. you have to fly your quad to the side a little bit. But, you can't just hold the sticks to the left or to the right because then it will just move sideways and not in a circular orbit. You also can't just hold the the throttle to the left or to the right because then it will just yaw in 360's. If you have truly tried orbiting around and object and successfully done so then you will know exactly what I'm talking about.

left stick full down will NOT drop the bird...

*Edit as far as CSC is concerned

Last edited:
You clearly are a new guy. I love the "full down" mode on the left stick you speak of.
First of all. I would never hold the stick 100% full down in fear of Vortex Ring State. I hold it 75-95% all the time for 30+ seconds. Never had a problem. Motors never shut off. If you fear your brother in law will crash it. Well, don't let him fly it, simple. If you plan on holding the left throttle stick 100% for more than 5 seconds while still in the air, you need to do more research and google VRS before you put your bird back up in the air and danger other people.

Yes I am the "new guy". Thank you for the non-offensive, helpful reply.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT