Why buy the Phantom 2 Vision+...

Jre

Reaction score
When you can buy the Phantom 2 Vision++ or Phantom 3: Double Vision in 3 or 4 months?

Sure, they haven't officially announced it, nor are there any plans for it, but acknowledging it's existence and offering a "pre-order" roughly a week before it's release is surely enough time right?

They are smart people, knowing how to get the most money from us. I'll just keep buying every new phantom.

I'm hoping for night vision and a zoom lens.

i heard about it too. tempting and nice...But I will try to control my urge for it. Its like smartphone technology or computer..new stuffs are coming out every other month making the model that we have obsolete...I have to tell and educate myself to be contempt with what I already have :D , which I am still struggling to learn about it inside out, let alone the latest and greatest in a few months to come; the Vision++ or Phantom 3.. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

my LHS told me about it when I purchased my P2V+ 3 weeks ago. One can never chase and keep up with technology driven product, otherwise one will never buy it..in a short time, a newer model will be available..typical is phone and computers. So, since I already have the budget, I just proceed in getting the latest and greatest available at that time. My LHS says, the new Phantom Vision++ or Phantom 3 is coming in Q4 this year. Zoom is one of the new features, he told me and I presume user can controll the zoom using a new DJI Aps, maybe. Just speculations, maybe.

Yea, glad I sold my P2V + case + accessories + modifications for about the same amount I put into it all. I had to cough up an extra $9 to put an order in on B&H for P2V+ (w/ extra battery) and same HPRC case (but with wheels this time).

Aqeel200 said:
my LHS told me about it when I purchased my P2V+ 3 weeks ago. One can never chase and keep up with technology driven product, otherwise one will never buy it..in a short time, a newer model will be available..

I agree, if you keep holding off because a newer version is "coming soon" then you'll never have anything. I was just making a small mockery of DJI's business model. They announce feature updates and continually fail to deliver on their promised dates, yet they release brand new SKUs out of the blue that no one ever new existed or was even coming.

Jre said:
Yea, glad I sold my P2V + case + accessories + modifications for about the same amount I put into it all. I had to cough up an extra $9 to put an order in on B&H for P2V+ (w/ extra battery) and same HPRC case (but with wheels this time).

you got a good deal dude! i just got myself a made in china/taiwan casing..black hard acrylic i think with alloy frames n the phantom precut inserts. my target is the back pack version - also made in china i think, also with phantom precut inserts - easy to bring it around. i just put an order from aliexpress - bulk purchase with some other local phantom owners - save on unit price and shipping.

Jre said:
Aqeel200 said:
my LHS told me about it when I purchased my P2V+ 3 weeks ago. One can never chase and keep up with technology driven product, otherwise one will never buy it..in a short time, a newer model will be available..

I agree, if you keep holding off because a newer version is "coming soon" then you'll never have anything. I was just making a small mockery of DJI's business model. They announce feature updates and continually fail to deliver on their promised dates, yet they release brand new SKUs out of the blue that no one ever new existed or was even coming.

Agree with you. DJI business model would have worked a lot better if they come up with a better tested if not fully tested product. Returns, repairs and claims on bad product development is not only good for DJI but also increases their after sales cost. I would best spend more on R&D cost to come up with better and reliable product and reduce their operating cost(after sales) - less returns, repairs, faulty and claims as such. It would also mean that they have attained a high level of customer satisfaction.

They got good product, using the latest technology ingenuity but they are too eager to launch it before it matures (at acceptable level), meaning before the product stabilizes. They are taking a high risk by fixing lots of bugs and let the maturity occurs during after sales. That I believe is not good for business. Competition in this space is lesser, that is why they are doing this, i believe.

However, time to market is also a consideration. If they are late, others will come up with it first. Already in Malaysia, there is a DJI clone selling much cheaper than the original DJI Phantom. Dont know if the clone has arrived in the US or elsewhere.

EDIT:

The DJI clone that sells here way cheaper than the original DJI - Support is considered as zero!!! One buys it, you are practically on your own. DJI just have to improve its customer service support compounded with a better and stable product.

Q:Why buy the vision +
A: Because it's available today and has a 3-axis gimbal. Opinions on camera quality aside, the gimbal works very well!

The new vision will have a much improved camera. They are working on 4k video with the ability to digitally zoom (not the same crappy digital zoom we are all use to) to 1080p and 720p (essentially in camera cropping.) I have not seen a mechanical zoom prototype (though anything is possible.) It will have 1080p 60 (the goal is 120, but they will have 60 for sure). I've not heard any talk of night vision (don't hold your breath) but the camera sensor will be significantly more sensitive than todays. I can't say anymore as other things are very secret and not yet decided. There are only internal dates, no formal external date commitments, only general targets (that if you are in the industry you could probably guess announce dates). Before anyone asks, no I don't have any links, believe or don't believe.

Aqeel200 said:
Agree with you. DJI business model would have worked a lot better if they come up with a better tested if not fully tested product.

I am confident DJI spent considerable time engineering the Vision+. The flight control system has been used in several generations of Phantom aircraft. There is just no way something like this can be released and tested in every conceivable scenario. Different locations, magnetic deviations, satellite geometries, weather, and differing pilot abilities. With this degree of technology there is going to be a certain percentage of failures and scenarios the engineers could not have possibly envisioned. I would like to see DJI factory include something like the Flytrex Core 2 into the system so we would have a built-in black box.

Dirty Bird said:
Aqeel200 said:
Agree with you. DJI business model would have worked a lot better if they come up with a better tested if not fully tested product.

I am confident DJI spent considerable time engineering the Vision+. The flight control system has been used in several generations of Phantom aircraft. There is just no way something like this can be released and tested in every conceivable scenario. Different locations, magnetic deviations, satellite geometries, weather, and differing pilot abilities. With this degree of technology there is going to be a certain percentage of failures and scenarios the engineers could not have possibly envisioned. I would like to see DJI factory include something like the Flytrex Core 2 into the system so we would have a built-in black box.

Agreed... Having a black box would allow DJI to have the information from hundreds of flights for analysis for free. Seems like a win-win for everybody.

Jre said:
When you can buy the Phantom 2 Vision++ or Phantom 3: Double Vision in 3 or 4 months?

Sure, they haven't officially announced it, nor are there any plans for it, but acknowledging it's existence and offering a "pre-order" roughly a week before it's release is surely enough time right?
Pre orders? Where?

DJIP2VPlus said:
A: Because it's available today and has a 3-axis gimbal. Opinions on camera quality aside, the gimbal works very well!

The new vision will have a much improved camera. They are working on 4k video with the ability to digitally zoom (not the same crappy digital zoom we are all use to) to 1080p and 720p (essentially in camera cropping.) I have not seen a mechanical zoom prototype (though anything is possible.) It will have 1080p 60 (the goal is 120, but they will have 60 for sure). I've not heard any talk of night vision (don't hold your breath) but the camera sensor will be significantly more sensitive than todays. I can't say anymore as other things are very secret and not yet decided. There are only internal dates, no formal external date commitments, only general targets (that if you are in the industry you could probably guess announce dates). Before anyone asks, no I don't have any links, believe or don't believe.

wonder if we can upgrade our V+ camera on the firmware only when the new phantom is released so that we have better cam apps features.

DJIP2VPlus said:

And you might be....?
Very secret...yet they told you nothing about 4k being a secret or "we dont care"?
Everyone knows they will make the camera better. Only logical. Thats like saying for new smartphones "the processor will be better but i cant tell you more its all very secret"

borgqueenx said:
Everyone knows they will make the camera better. Only logical.

That's what many of the P2V owners predicted as well.

What did they get? A gimbal (good) with the same mediocre sensor.

panhygrous pantler said:
borgqueenx said:

And more out-of-the-box range.
I also would predict a better camera, but for the next vision the camera has to get upgraded. There is no other easy upgrade for dji.

borgqueenx said:
panhygrous pantler said:
borgqueenx said:

And more out-of-the-box range.
I also would predict a better camera, but for the next vision the camera has to get upgraded. There is no other easy upgrade for dji.

What does range have to do with a better camera? Nothing.

Only time will tell whether your prediction of an upgraded camera is accurate. I'm doubtful. DJI is not a camera company as they have demonstrated with the PV rollout and the PV2+ rollout.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl