Why are the majority of drone pilots last inline

I don’t believe most people have the good heart you do. License doesn’t keep people from breaking the law. People are mainly self centered, narcissistic, the big problem with our society that is promoted by the media.
Especially Social Media! YouTube, Instagram, Vimeo, etc. are a great resource for the government to implement the restrictions we are now seeing.

@Drone Ace if you are that restricted take your Remote Pilot exam and get your 107 certification and have access to LAANC before the end of the year. You are not alone, there are a great many of us in the same canoe.

How do you get Kittyhawk to show the request LAANC authorization tab? I have yet to achieve this.

Except in extreme cases of being too close to an airport, if everyone would stay below 400ft. Make it 200 ft. I don’t see why there should be all the rules. I have no idea why a realtor that flies just above tree top would have to go through all the Aeronautical training. Most probably don’t anyway. ( ok, I’m ready for the comebacks) lol
In the DJI Drone beginning 2014.
1. Flying a mile out was an adventure.
2. Lots of pilots hopped up their controllers with range extender antennas. It was and still is a big business.
3. The promotion of drones were how far and how long you could fly.
4. Flying at night produced great 4th of July videos,
5. Calling the ATC was no big deal 4 minutes all the questions were basically the same.
The AMA got involved with the FAA and look at us now.

Well our society has been so welcoming of Government regulation of drones and everything else these days I don’t feel sorry for anyone anymore. Our society has been so brainwashed into thinking they can’t do anything safely without some authority putting arbitrary hurdles in front of them. We (maybe not you and me) but “we” as a society can’t seem to freely give up our liberties fast enough these days. It’s that post 911 mentality and it’s never going away. We live in Communist USA now

How would you have us deal with yahoos that fly to 1000' and chase helios? Frontier justice? Let everyone do whatever?
I agree with you about over regulation about a lot of things but idiots have proven we can't self govern this. We haven't been brainwashed into thinking we can't do it safely. It's been proven!

seems the LAANC option only on iOS for now.
Ummm LAANC is available through several "Options"

Where I live, Airmap is having LAANC approval problems. Kittyhawk won't even give me the option on android app. I don't know any other app that could work. I tried Skyward.io on my PC earlier, but it won't authorize my flight, because I may be flying on top of a hospital. The hospital isn't even near my flight path. This is starting to frustrate me. I miss Airmap! :tired:

Reactions: DroneB

sorry, was commenting on the kityhawk app

Reactions: BigAl07
Just got an email from Airmap and it's back online. Just tried it and got a confirmation text. Thank god! I dreaded having my work iphone on me when I had to fly.

Reactions: JSKCKNIT
I am a Drone Flight Instructor in a Public University in a FAA Connected Drone Hub City. All you need do is re-read each of these posts, and it will be easy to understand why the FAA regulates drone flight, and why those regs should be tighter. I have almost never seen so much mis-information, and utter ignorance when it comes to the use airspace regulations. Also the use of statistics. 1. The stat of 1 to 2 million drones is inaccurate. They include 'every drone sold' and not every drone sold is over .55 pounds and needs to be registered. Now most of those drones lie broken in closets by first time pilots, Drone sales to consumers are actually down, as are new pilots taking 107 test and pilots taking their re-test. As for those who claim in the USA we over regulate, please take a good look at your neighbor, or your friends, a really good look, do you really want that 'guy' who can't back out of his driveway, or pick up his garbage can when its rolled half way down the street, or park across two parking spaces, or can't figure out the app scanner at Starbucks, actually flying a drone. Here is what I know, besides taking a written test, an actual practical flight test is coming, it will be great to weed out some more of you 'professionals' So you don't ruin this for those of use who actually have figured out how to make a living with this new technology. Last but not least. A license does not prevent people from breaking the law. What a license does is that it makes sure the people who follow the law "a majority of people" know how to correctly follow the law. Why license car drivers, of everyone can just break the law....Well license them so that they all know you stop at a red light.

We don't have LANCE in my state yet. I've been operating as a 107 pilot for a couple years now. At first, the process of getting the written authorization was slow but it has improved greatly, for me anyways, since they seem to be familiar with me. Personally, I think they should make the test for 107 easier and require all drone pilots to have a basic knowledge of airspace and a few other things. As an ATP licensed airplane pilot, I think the test was a bit much for flying drones but there should be some req's to prove that you know what you are doing and can be safe.

The idea that 107 pilots need to be as knowledgeable as airplane pilots and get official authorization to fly in controlled airspace vs recreational flyers not having any requirement to test and simply calling the tower for approval seemed ... very unbalanced.

I am a Drone Flight Instructor in a Public University in a FAA Connected Drone Hub City. All you need do is re-read each of these posts, and it will be easy to understand why the FAA regulates drone flight, and why those regs should be tighter. I have almost never seen so much mis-information, and utter ignorance when it comes to the use airspace regulations. Also the use of statistics. 1. The stat of 1 to 2 million drones is inaccurate. They include 'every drone sold' and not every drone sold is over .55 pounds and needs to be registered. Now most of those drones lie broken in closets by first time pilots, Drone sales to consumers are actually down, as are new pilots taking 107 test and pilots taking their re-test. As for those who claim in the USA we over regulate, please take a good look at your neighbor, or your friends, a really good look, do you really want that 'guy' who can't back out of his driveway, or pick up his garbage can when its rolled half way down the street, or park across two parking spaces, or can't figure out the app scanner at Starbucks, actually flying a drone. Here is what I know, besides taking a written test, an actual practical flight test is coming, it will be great to weed out some more of you 'professionals' So you don't ruin this for those of use who actually have figured out how to make a living with this new technology. Last but not least. A license does not prevent people from breaking the law. What a license does is that it makes sure the people who follow the law "a majority of people" know how to correctly follow the law. Why license car drivers, of everyone can just break the law....Well license them so that they all know you stop at a red light.

Interesting 'take' on all of this.

Are you staying a Practical Flight Test is to be added to a 107 requirement?

But since [assuming that] most flyers are non-107, and that those are likely the flyers committing the majority of irresponsible flying, I don't see how this actual practical flight test keeps others from 'ruining this' for you "Pros".

Last edited:
Are you staying a Practical Flight Test is to be added to a 107 requirement?

As one of those non-professionally

Interesting 'take' on all of this.

But since [assuming that] most flyers are non-107, and that those are likely the flyers committing the majority of irresponsible flying, I don't see how this actual practical flight test keeps others from 'ruining this' for you "Pros".
It comes down to this. If the government can weed out poor pilots from the skies, then those “pros” can charge you more money for their flights.

Hey jarhead, thank you for being a Marine. My brother and first cousin (a retired Master Gunnery Sarg) are Marines.
So thank you again. I always thought 12 Palms sounded like a nice place for a vacation! Keep flying....

Hey jarhead, thank you for being a Marine. My brother and first cousin (a retired Master Gunnery Sarg) are Marines.
So thank you again. I always thought 12 Palms sounded like a nice place for a vacation! Keep flying....
Thank you!

ATC never gave permission to nobody! They only received the call just as a "Notification" of UAS activity was or is taken place in certain area. Not before new regulations nor after. Beginning 2020 all aircrafts must comply with ADS-B . In the case of UAS DJI will be making there products ADS without Broadcast so they will be notified of air traffic awareness. This system is integrated on the new Matrices , Mavic enterprise. Not quite sure if Inspire 2 has it.

Beginning 2020 all aircrafts must comply with ADS-B .

Not all. For the most part, ADS-B Out will be required in the same airspace where transponders are required.

Only in Class E above 10K MLS (+ other minor Class E places) . And within 30 nm of some (read: big) airports. Generally not required in Class D & G. Or for aircraft that are not certified with an engine driven electrical system, i.e. balloons and gliders.

What concerns me is, everyone I met flying a drone have nothing to do with these forums. They know little about drone laws and just fly. Are the skies going to be like the wild west? I don't hear people talking about these rogue fliers. Is it going to be like when the Citizen band radios became popular? There were so many Rogue users the FCC couldn't track them all down.
I agree with you totally. There are rogues out there because they refuse to be controlled by the rules. But I am guessing there are even more rogues out there that have no clue that the rules exist. Yep, it is like the wild, wild west. Your correlation to CBs is one I had not thought of but you are spot on! A bunch of idjits were out there really messing it up for the guys that wanted to use it properly. The main problem I see with the drone issue is the potential safety issues. Not sure that was an issue with CBs.

1014, on the side. Or was it 1007 on the side?

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Ansia

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT