Who's had success backing off the screws and using zip ties around the arms?

Reaction score
Just wondering how many have actually done the steps of backing off the screws and putting zip ties on the arms and flown for an extended amount of time with no cracks in the shell?

I was never convinced of using zip ties and never used and I don't have stress cracks on P3 arms.

There's a lot of hubbub going around about cracked shells, but it's not something you need to worry about because it has not happened to the majority of Phantom owners. There are lots of potential ways suggested to prevent them, but none really work since nobody is able to pinpoint what has caused the cracks.

I loosened the screws on my P3A, started from the outside in. When I loosened the outside ones the shell opened up. This suggested to me the inside screws were overtightened once in the real world. I then retightened from the outside in and have had no issues. Periodically check them but have never come loose and no cracks

Sirachie P3A

I've never heard of anybody using zip ties. I suppose if it was some kind of emergency and you had no other options, you could do it.

As msinger points out, most P3 owners don't have a problem. Personally, if I had a P3, I'd back each wing screw 1/8th turn. If I happened to see separation during that process, naturally I'd be inclined to re-torque the screws near there.

Insulating tape + zip tie on my p3a

Attachments

• 1459075335518.jpg
    1459075335518.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 550
  • 1459075346740.jpg
    1459075346740.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 643
  • 1459075356281.jpg
    1459075356281.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 569
This is how I temporarily fixed it while preparing to replace the whole shell on my own... I've purchased nylon screws and washers to use in place of metal ones under the arms... I think they will improve vibrations stress effects on affected positions

Worth of mention is that I already experienced RMA due to stress cracks and after 1 month and using only perfectly balanced props with DuBro499 and 90% gain settings cracks are here again...

I am using carbon fiber blades and aftermarket snap in blade guards. I have over 80 flights. I conducted a closes inspection and have found no cracks.

I thought stress cracks was a thing of the past on the phantom 3 series with the new shells and motors?

I had a crash that cracked one of the arms and two of the screws were lost. I bent the thing back in to place and put 3 zip ties on it to hold it. Placed another one zip tie on the remaining 3 arms. It flies great (I have 200+ flights and around 24 hours flight time) NO NEW CRACKS (except for original crash damage).

I thought stress cracks was a thing of the past on the phantom 3 series with the new shells and motors?
I have a 6 week old P3P with new motors and shell. It developed cracks under one of the motors and also on the top shell near another motor. No crashes or hard landings. Only about 25 flights and very short flights at that. So i guess i just have that type of luck. lol

It's questionable if balancing the props truly helps to prevent cracks on the phantoms using the dubro and correct balance bar for the props. I have had 3 phantom standards and ALL of them cracked within the first 4 gentle flights after balancing the props using the dubro...

No idea if my balancer is faulty or something but I don't rate this balancer as it's never proved anything for me..

I am on my 3rd phantom and 2nd shell ( which I replaced my self so I know non of the screws are over tightened from factory).

2 flights in so far so good.

I have also bought a replacement shell to keep as a spare in case the new one cracks in the future. I then know it's a manufacturing fault from factory if it does go again.

Wrong. All shells are cracking.

This is my 3rd phantom 3 standard the first one had the latest shell with - x-brace and extra tab support on the edges of the shell and still cracked with balanced props - On the second gentle flight that is.

My other 2 phantoms had the new shell without the x-brace in between the motors and just the extra tabs and support around the edges of the arms, and again both cracked within 4 gentle flights (fully balanced props using dubro balancer)

I only fly gentle mostly hovers for slow yaw pans..

I replaced my cracked shell on my latest p3 standard, I now know nothing has been over torqued from factory. And so far 2 short flights in - no cracks.

All my threads and posts can be found on here with pics for proof.

On another thread on this forum on phantom 4(newbie phantom 4 or phantom 3 advance?
Meta4 said I was 6months behind on the cracking issue, was down to bad plastic, bad batch, bad moulding? Seems cracks are still appearing?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl