Who Uses a Launching/Landing Pad?

Forgot I had this in my office 15 feet away. Can yellow and black spray paint about $12. Roll of checkerboard tape about $5. Wooden 'H' used as a template $3. Plywood $5. Enough materials to build three of these plus the wood.

View attachment 35459

You should've painted a "D" for Drone or "Q" for Quadcopter, instead of the H.

Z

Can't you just throttle the bird until you feel it pulling away and then let it go?

I have a foldable bamboo table mat from a dollar store. Works great on grass, sand, etc.

I don't have a link. If I have time on the weekend I'll post a pic. Meanwhile head over to your local dollar store (dollarama if you're in Canada) and you'll find a large selection of floor / table mats for 1-3 $, in a variety of sizes. Mine is 2x3 feet. Really nifty, rolls, with rubberized bottom to keep dust away when motors power up.

I fly from dusty/dirt locals, so I use a pad to prevent dust from contaminating the camera lens. Hand catch is the method I use to retrieve it from the air.
You can see the pad in the beginning of this video.

I have a baggage area rubber insert for my SUV, it is perfect for locations where you need a dust free TO/L spot or even in tall grass. The nice thing it is always with me. Another thing that works great is a small piece of outdoor carpet. Often you can just pick up a remnant for free. I have several of those in different sizes and they are easy to roll up and attach to the backpack with the P3P inside.

I cut out a piece of 3/4" oak, in the shape of a toilet seat.
(Yes, In regard to the toilet bowl affect) ;-)
Routed the edges round, & spray varnished it to a sheen.

Gives me something to 'sit' on as well. Hehe

RedHotPoker

Reactions: Reed L
It's a shame people (me!) learn lessons the hard way. Flights on the beach, well landings are TROUBLE even if they go well. Sand gets everywhere. Happily, brushless motors can be amazingly sand tolerant. Meaning that they jam up completely in a heartbeat, but a little blowing and shaking, and they're fine.

I did see the light and have become a "catcher" a while back. Great lessons on some pitfalls. Thanks everyone.

I've never used a launch pad, haven't had the need so far, plus it won't fit in my backpack. I tend to hike or bike to areas to fly. I hand catch when necessary, and taking off I have always been able to find a place nearby that works, even balanced on a big rock for take off. I've got over 100 miles on my P3P and it still looks like new, not even a chip in a prop.

That's one of the benefits of the Can Am SpYder, they have a "Frunk". (Trunk in the Front) cargo carrying hold, with locking lid.

Plenty of space to load your extra's and more. ;-)

RedHotPoker

Reactions: Buckwheeat
vlcsnap-2015-11-10-19h17m04s378.png
When I am launching from the beach or from an area with wet grass, I use a launch/landing pad that I made from a piece of black coroplast. In the sand, I hold it down with a couple of anchors meant for holding down beach blankets. Works perfectly. And I just keep it in my car for when I need it.

That looks like a great idea, especially for beach sand takeoff's.

I always remember gorgeous Annette Funicello in "Beach Blanket Bingo". Wow I had a huge teenage crush on that gal. hehehe
Annette Funicello dies at age 70
Yeah. Well anyway thanks for sharing the pic, and for memories. ;-)

RedHotPoker

Top of the Drone Crate Roller is perfect

I had a few occasions where the grass was to high. I used the backpack to launch the AC. This works great.
Most of the time I hand catch the AC.
I am considering to learn take off from my arm. Are there video's to explain the technique?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl