Where's the receiver output in a stock phantom?(gimbal ctrl)

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've had the phantom for a bit now, and enjoy making acquaintance with the real r/c world. Lots to learn, lots to read. Here's one thing I haven't been able to figure out:

What/Where is the stock receiver on the phantom? Looking at where the antenna hooks up, is it simply the green circuitry board underneath the naza m? Where can I find the different channel outputs?
Looking at the diagram on p8 of the naza-m user manual, they provide the installation instructions for 3rd party receivers, which connect to the ports in the back of the naza cm, but in stock configuration the A,E,T,R,U and X1 ports aren't in use. The X1 port is left unused in all configs. Assuming this is because it's the auxiliary input and not required for standard phantom operation. That said, in their explanation the IOC switch isn't mentioned :?

I've got a brushless gimbal on order; the Arris cm200 v2.0 (still waiting for it to be shipped, darned thing must be popular :mrgreen: ). This gimbal uses its own controller board. Manual pitch control is available, but it must be hooked directly to the receiver. This is what the developer of the gimbal told me at the heli freaks forum. Can't figure out where the 'raw' control input originate, and how they enter the naza-m? I have some doubts on hooking the gimbal to the F2 output on the naza-m; As far as I can tell, the F2 output behaves like perfectly natural servo channel (if auto gain is set to zero) but still i'm a bit afraid it will interfere with the operation of the gimbal controller board.

Attachments

• Naza-M.png
    Naza-M.png
    190.6 KB · Views: 22,839
Re: Where's the receiver output in a stock phantom?(gimbal c

The default rx is plugged into the "X2" futaba s-bus port. The following youtube video will give you an idea of where it is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRUDKZGhwuU

the different channel outputs are at the "nose" side. Since this is only a quadcopter, only M1-4 should have anything plugged into it. the rest of them should be free.

Nice video tutorials too; I guess I'll just have to check if the F2 output on the naza-m can be used for a gimbal with dedicated controller; otherwise I might have to consider upgrading to a different radio ;) None is lost however; The phantom can take the weight of compact cameras, as long as the CG is ok, so I might try and built something to use the channel and a servo to press the shutter of a compact :mrgreen:

Both F1 and F2 are used on the Naza, to control pitch and roll. I believe you have to add a control arm to the back of
the stock Phantom radio to rotate up or down from center.
You will also have to enable the gimbal in the Naza Assistant, and set the gains to whatever works best with your particular
gimbal.

For Phantom, you have somewhat hidden 7th channel which is X1 to control the Pitch only.
The arm that needed to attach to the pot on the back of the Phantom TX is not out yet.
But a few have made their own from some home made parts, so that you can control UP/DOWN of the gimbal by your pinky.

So there's already an extra channel in the tx? Interesting. Is it already wired to the Naza onboard?

Is there any 3rd party transmiter that is compatible with the built-in rx?

mroberts said:
So there's already an extra channel in the tx? Interesting. Is it already wired to the Naza onboard?

Is there any 3rd party transmiter that is compatible with the built-in rx?

Yes the extra channel is there and ready, except the control lever for convenience.
However, you can use it now to change the GAIN remotely, how?
In the Assistant set in the GAIN tab of Basic from INH to X1 for either Basic Gain or Attitude.
When you use a small screw driver to turn the pot on the back, you will see the Gain % change.
You can do all (Pitch, Roll, Yaw & Vertical) at the same time or select any 1, 2 or 3 to test your Gain.
At the field, fly and change the pot setting until you like best (do not touch the pot setting), then connect to Assistant again and look at the Gain % you have and manually set it to that % for good.

No other TX will work with Phantom RX...
If you want to change, it has to be BOTH.

tvpopta said:
I have some doubts on hooking the gimbal to the F2 output on the naza-m; As far as I can tell, the F2 output behaves like perfectly natural servo channel (if auto gain is set to zero) but still i'm a bit afraid it will interfere with the operation of the gimbal controller board.

I'm a few days behind you, as I ordered my Arris last Friday. very popular gimbal at the moment,. ..imagine their orders will spike this week when everyone sees the test footage from the first people who are now getting them.

following the tread on the FB forum, apparently plugging into the F2 will work, BUT if you're already powering the gimbal from the Phantom AUX power or a direct connection from a battery, make extra sure NOT to use the red power that's also coming out of the F2 that normally powers servo's.or you might accidentally send 24v to the controller.

I'm still trying to understand tho, how the Pitch is controlled by the NAZA and the CM2000 controller board at the same time, or if somehow the NAZA overrides the controller board for gyro stabilization. but apparently it works. (guess i'll find out).

I already have a FutabaT8j as well, so at least I have that extra dial to use.
but there doesn't appear to be many other TX options if you want to have 8 channels. Futaba and Spectrum's as far as I know.
but you might be ok using the Phantom Tx with the little dial control in back.

On my gimbal, the servos are powered by a 6v bec, and only the signal wire is used on F1 & F2. (the bottom pin on each.)

Thanks for that gizmo; wouldn't have thought of the double power thing. But does that mean it's possible to power the whole gimbal on just the single servo power output on the f2 port?

I'm sure their sales will spike; all looks promising! Just read on the heli freak forum the max roll angle on one side is just 35 degrees; not sure if the guy was using the v2.0 version or not. But I don't think the phantom will bank more in either att or GPS mode.
Regarding transmitters, to some extend the stock tx might even be more handy on this, because you don't have to let go of the flight controls in order to operate the 7th channel. I've got the lever kit from shapeways on order, until it arrives I'll adjust it using a small screwdriver.

I don't think the Naza is controlling the pitch at all in this case; obviously the auto gain should be off; any manual input will then be interpreted by the gimbal controller to shift to a different aim to keep; not sure if variable speed is available, it would make sense :)

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl